Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sure what else would you be Du'ing?

Options
  • 18-10-2015 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

Bonjourno,

I have been talked into a long distance triathlon by a colleague. The aim is for mid 2017 to give us a reasonable chance of being able for it. This will give us a bit of time to progress up the triathlon distance chain.

It's something that I have secretly marvelled at up until now. I could never understand how people were able to survive the training, never mind the day itself! Amazing stuff!

I am surrounded by Tri guys in work and have always resisted their attempts to get me on board. Not because I wasn't interested but just the small fact that I'm a non swimmer :pac:. I have been interested in it for a long time but never had the nerves to learn to swim.

A bit of background I suppose. I'm a casual adventure race head and have posted here in the past. I don't do as many as I'd like and I certainly don't perform as well as I'd like to either. I dabbled with marathons over the last 12 months, none of which went according to plan but were a big learning curve. I have made a hell of a lot of mistakes in the last year and one of which I want to repeat!

A succession of little niggles resulted in a very disappointing 2015, all of which is being addressed.

So far I have enjoyed Connemara Rough Diamond, KAR, SCAR, St.Patricks Day AR, The Blackstairs AR, some work organised ones and a bit of Coast to Coast this year :)

The plan is to start slow. My main objective is to learn how to swim, thats beginning in November. I'm terrified if I'm honest but I need to get this monkey off my back while I still can. Mainly though, I fcuking want to do this!

As it stands:
    Swim: Non existent
    Cycle: Comfortable 60km in 2hr 20.
    Run: Marathon PB in 4hr 09.

I know I'm very far off (fitness and ability wise) of even getting to a start line but this will be a long aul road with the intention of toe'ing the line in 18 months or so. Im not sure how unrealistic that is!

I will be looking to join a Tri club once I am ok in the water. I have the luxury of one in work too which will be good.

This will be a very boring log but it will be necessary for me. Feel free to give me a bollocking if I need it. Any and all direction and feedback is always appreciated.

Starting with a handy 60km cycle home from work tomorrow. I hope it rains! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

60km cycle done and dusted. Took it nice and handy in 2:43. There was a bit of a crappy breeze on the N7.....ugh!

Did some glute exercises at lunch. I have a weak ass! Apparently that has been tbe cause of some of my niggles.

Happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

What is your plan for learning how to swim? :) I admire adults who commit themselves to this - swimming is so much easier to learn (and to teach) when young. Best of luck to you!

Dory Dory wrote: »
    What is your plan for learning how to swim? :) I admire adults who commit themselves to this - swimming is so much easier to learn (and to teach) when young. Best of luck to you!

Hey,

Well, the adventure races were suffering as a result of being very careful in the kayak! It's about time I learned.

Plan is:
    1. 5 week basic swim course in the local pool starting in November.
    2. Hopefully progress to improvers course as soon as that is over.
    3. Then some 1-2-1 lessons to make sure I'm not taking on any bad habits.That should take me up to February.
    4. 4 months of pool work to ensure I am proficient enough to progress to the sea.
    5. 5 months of more pool work, 1-2-1, open water swims.

Not a very solid plan, guidelines really just to give me a direction.

Nervous but excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I applaud you for taking lessons at the local pool - fantastic! If your lessons are only once (or twice?) a week, then make sure you get plenty of pool time in between the lessons to practice what you've been taught - that's pretty crucial in my opinion. When I taught kids at the local pool way back when, our lessons were weekly blocks that ran Monday through Friday - so that forced the kids to have instruction 5 days in a row to reinforce what they were learning.

I'll be checking in here periodically to make sure you are sticking with the swim plan and keeping on task. ;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

I'll be checking in here periodically to make sure you are sticking with the swim plan and keeping on task. ;):)

Wolf Hanssen, in case you didn't know it, you just hit the Jackpot in terms of learning to swim! ;) Best of luck with your goals!

• Advertisement

Cycled into work this morning. 'Twas absolutely horrendous.

I love the wind.....when it's behind me! That wasnt the case today. :pac:

58km in 3:04. Not one bit happy with the time but it is what it is.

Just went for a short 3km jog at lunch, ITB still not right. More time off the legs i think.

Physio tonight to fix my niggles.

I am getting my gait analysed on Saturday. I used to run in a pair of runners with no insoles, had no major issues.

As I trained more, I got a pair of Brooks and started having more frequent minor knee problems. Then I bought a pair of Kayanos but im not sure im any better off.

Anyway, il find out on Saturday. Im actually looking forward to it.

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Wolf Hanssen, in case you didn't know it, you just hit the Jackpot in terms of learning to swim! ;) Best of luck with your goals!

Ha, I heard Dory is more fish than human! :)

Cheers man, no doubt I will be asking some very annoyingly basic questions in the next few months.

I applaud you for taking lessons at the local pool - fantastic! If your lessons are only once (or twice?) a week, then make sure you get plenty of pool time in between the lessons to practice what you've been taught - that's pretty crucial in my opinion. When I taught kids at the local pool way back when, our lessons were weekly blocks that ran Monday through Friday - so that forced the kids to have instruction 5 days in a row to reinforce what they were learning.

Hey D,

Yeah the lessons are once a week. I have a pool in work so I intend on making it there at least 3 times a week to practice what I am learning.

Il be turning up at my first class with the best armbands Argos has to offer!

Swimming lessons are on hold for a few more weeks :(

I had 4 x 30 minute "lessons" with a guy in work in an attempt to get comfortable in the water before the proper lessons in the local pool started.

Shoulders are acting up, so my physio has grounded me until I get my subacromial impingement's sorted. Guy I'm going to is optimistic that it wont take long.

So, instead of running, cycling and swimming....I'm physio, physio, physio'ing.

It's demoralising but necessary. I probably won't be starting proper training until mid December.

I'm really, really flippin' moody without being able to put the runners on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Seems strange you are getting cuff issues after just a few short lessons - especially as they were probably spent doing drills which shouldn't necessarily have been about arm recovery?

How are the shoulder issues stopping the running as a matter of interest?

Bad luck though - I know what it's like to be grounded by niggling injuries!

• Advertisement

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Seems strange you are getting cuff issues after just a few short lessons - especially as they were probably spent doing drills which shouldn't necessarily have been about arm recovery?

How are the shoulder issues stopping the running as a matter of interest?

Bad luck though - I know what it's like to be grounded by niggling injuries!

Howaya,

Ah no, the shoulders have been an ongoing problem for a few years that had died down. I knew the problem wasn't solved and as soon as I started swimming it began giving trouble again. So best to get it sorted once and for all instead of attempting to plough through.

I'm sick of blaming injuries for poor performance. I want to train for something right for once. It's becoming evident now that I started the log a bit too early and that 18 months may not be enough time for me to reach my goal.

The current knee niggle is a regular ITB and weak glute issue. I'm working on that at the minute and then it's onto whatever is wrong with the backs of my knees. Hamstring issue I have been told.

All as a result of under training, bad conditioning, ignoring the niggles and just turning up to events that I thought I could bluff my way through.

I'm a work in progress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I know how this journey plays out :)

Your physio becomes like a member of the family, often closer ;)

Advertisement