Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

old budgie with loose droppings

• 19-10-2015 1:47am

My elderly budgie Yellow has just started to have loose droppings. I don't want to take her back to the vet because the vet's suggestion is to knock her out and x-ray her... I don't think she'd survive it to be honest and also what's the point in finding a tumour in a budgie? You can't fix it. She doesn't seem to want to eat seeds, so I've been feeding her millet and honey seed sticks, to make sure she eats. She was prescribed an anti inflammatory drug a few months ago when her beak got infected. I am giving her these drops every second day as it is, if she has something internal it will help with her pain. My mother suggested it might be best to have her put to sleep.

I know there aren't many, if any, bird people on this forum... I guess I am just asking in the dark here if anyone has any advice. She's only 10 years old, but she isn't one of the natural breed budgies, she has a lot of English show budgie in her, plus, she's lutino. Ten is a good enough age given her genetics.

Just hoping someone here who is bird savvy can give me some advice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

If she was mine I would leave her be as long as she is eating & drinking. If her vent area is getting dirty I would however keep it clean. Try to also offer her some veg to see ifvthat tempts her. Is there any possibility that there is still a problem with her beak that is making it harder for her to eat? There isxa vet in Meath who looks after the animals in Tayto Park & I know he has parrots. He might be able to help.

Edited to add Paul Kelly is his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

does she eat any fruit or veg or greens? Does she eat a bit of egg?
    You could try her with some new foods - veg or fruits - to tempt her - grate very finely, and just a tiny bit to start? Only leave in the cage for an hour or so. Some new fruit - a thin slice of pear or melon or cucumber hanging in her cage? Again, remove before it browns/smells. If shes not a fussy eater, she might be tempted by new treats? There is a huge amount of suggestions of foods good for budgies - google it.

Honey can be a laxative. I read once that SAGE TEA is good for diareahea - a tiny dish of cooled tea

Advertisement