Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting up a small phone/pc repair business

Options
  • 19-10-2015 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hey guys, so I work part time in a little IT repair shop, we fix phones, computers etc, however I'm kind of struggling financially, I'm studying Computer Science in college and had to take out a loan to pay the fee, So i want to start doing some repairs for other students in college to get a little extra, Is this a good or bad idea? I'm confident in doing most repairs, but do i have to take out some sort of insurance? Also could anyone tell me how I should price things? I want to keep my prices fairly low as I know a lot of students struggle with money so i don't want to rip them off, but at the same time I still need to make a profit. Also if I'm not confident in doing a repair I'll offer that I'll bring the device up to the head technician where i work but that it will cost more, because I don't really want to take on a repair if there's a risk I'll mess it up. Do you think this whole thing would be worth my time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It's quite possible your boss would let you go for that. You're basically setting up shop in direct competition with him while still working for him.

Seems like you'd be better off talking with your boss about ways for his business to tap into the student market, and for you to increase your hours

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Talk to your boss about becoming a rep for your college or group of colleges. Any work that comes from you, you get a cut, if you do the repair, you get a larger cut. It has the advantage of being a motivating factor for you as the more you do, the more advertising you do, the more work you create for them and you.

Just FYI however, many colleges already have a saturation of these fix-it shops. It is, in my opinion, the next bubble as it's a heavily oversubscribed industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Davidf1

Thanks guys, I'll definitely have a chat with my boss about that, much better idea then just doing my own repairs :)

Advertisement