Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newish PC not powering up all of a sudden....

Options
  • 19-10-2015 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads,

Built a PC with some advice from some of the lads on here, see here :

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057350499/1/#post93585060

All has been well up until this weekend when it would not boot for kids on Friday, starts for like 1 second, stops and tries again, I'm pretty sure its got something to do with fans, or maybe a broken fan cable maybe?

At one point last night I managed to get it started, as soon as I put it back together the same issue started with it, I'm at my wits end with it....

In fairness cable management has been awful on the machine, we were just glad it worked!

I'll gladly pay a better minded boardsie to come out and sort my cable woes as I need this back running ASAP, all specs are above....

Thanks,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

When you took it out of the case to test it what components were connected and what wasn't?
    Was all the memory inserted?
    Was the graphics card in?

etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

mad turnip wrote: »
    When you took it out of the case to test it what components were connected and what wasn't?
    Was all the memory inserted?
    Was the graphics card in?

etc

Took out the power supply, graphics card and reseated it, left in RAM, processor...

When it did come back on (before putting case back together) I had disconnected the cable on left (which I think is front fan) will upload a PIC now in a second...

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the raft of cables coming from the power supply, as I'm not sure where they should really be connected....

Second picture I think is what's bunched, as I said I'm at a loss, not sure where to go from here... :/

Can make a video and show what it's doing also....

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭JCW

Fieldog wrote: »
    Took out the power supply, graphics card and reseated it, left in RAM, processor...

When it did come back on (before putting case back together) I had disconnected the cable on left (which I think is front fan) will upload a PIC now in a second...

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the raft of cables coming from the power supply, as I'm not sure where they should really be connected....

Second picture I think is what's bunched, as I said I'm at a loss, not sure where to go from here... :/

Can make a video and show what it's doing also....
    I would suggest checking the motherboards standoff screws, it appears to work outside the case so to me it sounds like it is shorting out, did you install all the proper stand-offs?Also make sure they are not over tightened also triple check all the of the large cables on the motherboard are fully seated (8-pin,24-pin,and gpu cables) in regards to picture 1 that is a 4-pin molex cable it can be used to power extra devices but they are not a necessity so not having it connected will make no difference unless something you are using requires this but from what I can see that is not the case (my current computer uses 0 molex connectors)

JCW wrote: »
    I would suggest checking the motherboards standoff screws, it appears to work outside the case so to me it sounds like it is shorting out, did you install all the proper stand-offs?Also make sure they are not over tightened also triple check all the of the large cables on the motherboard are fully seated (8-pin,24-pin,and gpu cables) in regards to picture 1 that is a 4-pin molex cable it can be used to power extra devices but they are not a necessity so not having it connected will make no difference unless something you are using requires this but from what I can see that is not the case (my current computer uses 0 molex connectors)

Sorry,

I should have been clearer, I didn't fully take the mobo out of the case itself, just pulled out the power supply enough so I could remove the graphics card and reseat it , in case it was something silly like that....

The problem definitely has to fall with these connection for the fans here, either one has failed or there is a loose connection there somewhere....

Unless the CPU cooler fan has been disconnected any other fan not being connected would not stop the system from starting whatsoever, also if the CPU fan was disconnected the sytem would still start and display a warning, it is possible you have put in a cable upside down (check the 24-pin motherboard connector)

opwyt1.jpg

• Advertisement

Unless the CPU cooler fan has been disconnected any other fan not being connected would not stop the system from starting whatsoever, also if the CPU fan was disconnected the sytem would still start and display a warning, it is possible you have put in a cable upside down (check the 24-pin motherboard connector)

opwyt1.jpg

Nothing was disconnected from the mobo other than the Graphics card though, I can see the processor fan spin on initial power up....

I'm just wondering where I'm supposed to connect the side coolermaster fan and the front one?

Do they go into the corsair cables pictured below?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Nothing was disconnected from the mobo other than the Graphics card though, I can see the processor fan spin on initial power up....

I'm just wondering where I'm supposed to connect the side coolermaster fan and the front one?

The fans generally go into the MB directly, they are 3 pin connections

Here is a better in the light picture....

jonny24ie wrote: »
    The fans generally go into the MB directly, they are 3 pin connections

Mine seem to be four for both?

PIC 1 front fan

PIC 2 side fan

Yes the fans can connect to those 4-pin molex connectors.

I would check all the cables again going to the drives,motherboard,gpu and any other peripherals like optical disk drives, disconnected chassis fans will not stop a system from powering , did it take a knock?You said it worked and then it didnt you also mentioned kids, check those cables and forget about the fans, if the cpu fan spins up then the issue has nothing to do with fans whatsoever.

Also your fans have adapters on them, ill upload a pic now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Here is a better in the light picture....

Onthe top right hand corner of the CPU you can see CHA_Fan, thats where you connect your fan to ;)

2s9wqo0.jpg

The red circle is the 3-pin fan connector that goes directly to the motherboard the green is an adapter to allow them to run off 4-pin molex, neither of these have anything to do with your system not starting.

Onthe top right hand corner of the CPU you can see CHA_Fan, thats where you connect your fan to ;)

Side one obviously?

Side one obviously?

Side fan or front fan but I would generally go with the side fan. Remove the molex adapters and plug direct ot your M/B. Take out your ram and try with 1 stick on its own aswell incase 1 stick is dead or 1 ram slot is dead.

Side fan or front fan but I would generally go with the side fan. Remove the molex adapters and plug direct ot your M/B. Take out your ram and try with 1 stick on its own aswell incase 1 stick is dead or 1 ram slot is dead.

So if my one has 3 connections on it PIC 1 to follow, and the CHA_FaN has 4 pins, where do I go? :)

Sorry for the n00b questions!

So if my one has 3 connections on it PIC 1 to follow, and the CHA_FaN has 4 pins, where do I go? :)

Sorry for the n00b questions!

you can connect 3-pin fan to 4-pin connector with no issues

Just leave to one furthest from the cpu blank and youll be grand.

you can connect 3-pin fan to 4-pin connector with no issues

Done that for side one.

So if there is only one of these on the board, I need my adapter thingy on the LHS one to connect it to the power supply connector would I be right in saying?

Done that for side one.

So if there is only one of these on the board, I need my adapter thingy on the LHS one to connect it to the power supply connector would I be right in saying?

Yes you use your adapeter and then plug the molex connector into your CD Drive or HDD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Don't worry about the cha fan until you have you machine working properly. When you are happy its working correctly, you can connect those things while closing up. Have you connected the reset and power button cables to the motherboard correctly. On many motherboards, when you apply power, the fan will spin for a second then stop. The computer is then in off mode until you press the power button on the front of the machine, which is connected to the motherboard as on of a bunch of cables [power reset hdd led power led]

• Advertisement

Yes you use your adapeter and then plug the molex connector into your CD Drive or HDD

Right,

I can see that side one powering up (as normal) since its now connected directly to the Mobo....

2 sata bits come off the power supply, both going into both HDDs

So now I'm left with these in pic...

Right,

I can see that side one powering up (as normal) since its now connected directly to the Mobo....

2 sata bits come off the power supply, both going into both HDDs

So now I'm left with these in pic...

For now concentrate on checking your Ram first of all, we can move back to the front fan after.

You have 2 sticks of Ram,

Try RAM A in Slot 1 on its own:
    Try RAM A in Slot 2 on its own:
    Try RAM B in Slot 1 on its own:
    Try RAM B in Slot 2 on its own:

Does it boot on any of the above scenarios?

For now concentrate on checking your Ram first of all, we can move back to the front fan after.

Cool,

Will give that a go now...

I did check RAM last night when it initially came back via the Nvidia Experience thing and all seemed normal, 8gb etc...

Here is a video of exactly what she is doing (or not!)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1wgMyHeXVEQSGIzMTRCM3pqT3M/view?usp=docslist_api

Right,

This may have been a help, in order to get at the RAM I had to remove the PSU cable directly connected to the Mobo, done that, removed first stick, she booted!

Replaced the stick, and gave a good shove with the PSU and she is still booting, gonna try stick her back together and see have we any action...

Thanks so much for all your help so far lads, safe to say I have had some fantastic help on all forums here over the years...

And here was me panicking about bloody fans... :P

Right,

This may have been a help, in order to get at the RAM I had to remove the PSU cable directly connected to the Mobo, done that, removed first stick, she booted!

Replaced the stick, and gave a good shove with the PSU and she is still booting, gonna try stick her back together and see have we any action...

Thanks so much for all your help so far lads, safe to say I have had some fantastic help on all forums here over the years...

And here was me panicking about bloody fans... :P

No problem dude, normally its something small that messes the whole thing up.

No problem dude, normally its something small that messes the whole thing up.

Wondering now about the RAM, never had a dodgy stick happen before, as I went and put her all back together and its still doing the same, back to the RAM I'm thinking....

Wondering now about the RAM, never had a dodgy stick happen before, as I went and put her all back together and its still doing the same, back to the RAM I'm thinking....

Try the ram and see how you get on, its a bit odd that it worked after you pulled it apart but didnt work after.

Triple check those connections dude as jonny said its very strange that it worked and now it doesn't, make sure the 24-pin motherboard and 4-pin cpu are completely connected, you should hear a "click" when they are fully depressed.

Triple check those connections dude as jonny said its very strange that it worked and now it doesn't, make sure the 24-pin motherboard and 4-pin cpu are completely connected, you should hear a "click" when they are fully depressed.

She's all go now, but minus the front fan nearest the power switch and front USB port?

Seems when I connect (see PIC 1) to the power supply one (PIC 2) she won't start at all!?

I'm wondering is the adapter thingy fecked now?

And if it is, surely if I swap the spare I now have from the side one over hopefully we will be back in action, that's the next step anyway... :)

• Advertisement

She's all go now, but minus the front fan nearest the power switch and front USB port?

Seems when I connect (see PIC 1) to the power supply one (PIC 2) she won't start at all!?

I'm wondering is the adapter thingy fecked now?

And if it is, surely if I swap the spare I now have from the side one over hopefully we will be back in action, that's the next step anyway... :)

TBH once one of your case fans is working you should be all good :) At least your up and running again thats the main part :)

Advertisement