Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another passport question

• 19-10-2015 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My (Irish) passport was stolen just over a week ago while I was on holiday in Prague. Got the police form, photos, emergency travel certificate to get me back to England.

Now I'm a bit confused as to the fastest way to get a new passport from here. The DFA website says there is a 6 week turnaround time, surely that can't be right?

I'm moving to China for work for a year and they are going to need my passport very soon for the visa application. Is an emergency application only if someone has died and you need to get home? Do you have to wait 6 weeks otherwise? I've tried ringing the embassy in London but all I get is nonsense about whether I want to hear my options in Irish or in English, then it hangs up after listing things I already know.

Do I have any hope of getting a new passport within 2 weeks? :( This is such bad timing. Alternatively, can I get an Aer Lingus flight to Dublin, using my driving licence as ID, and apply from there? I know you're not supposed to do that but how would they know?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Now I'm having the usual trouble trying to find someone who'll witness the application :(

Does anyone know if it's quicker to apply at the London embassy or via Passport Express in Liverpool? I live in the midlands so equal distance to both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

You will be able to get a passport within two weeks if your back in Ireland and ring the passport office in Dublin, you will most likely need to present yourself in person.

I have travelled on Aer Lingus using my driving license for ID while my passport was being renewed. Immigration at the airport might ask a few questions but at least you can travel home.

PS: As there is an election looming, you would be surprised what your local TD might be able to sort out for you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Shelga wrote: »
    Now I'm having the usual trouble trying to find someone who'll witness the application :(

Does anyone know if it's quicker to apply at the London embassy or via Passport Express in Liverpool? I live in the midlands so equal distance to both.

I'd go straight to London, when I needed mine, I was contemplating heading down on a day return flight to get it sorted. Didn't need to in the end thankfully.

What industry do you work in? Any chartered accountants? If so, they'll be able to sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Thanks! Got a solicitor to do it today for £5 in the end.
    Going to head to London on Thursday to get it done, it's the soonest I can manage. Stupid question- do you go to the Irish Embassy at 17 Grosvenor Place or just head straight to the Irish passport office opposite Gloucester Road tube station? I'm assuming you just go straight to the passport office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Passport office I believe, worth a quick call to double check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Definitely Passport office

Advertisement