Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Bike import

• 19-10-2015 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Sorry for starting a new thread but I need clear up to date information.

Ive spotted a bike in Germany from a dealer I like. The dealer is close to overlanders.ie transport hub which is a bonus. What should I expect from the dealer? The bike will be over 6 months old and have over 6000km on the clock.

1. Will the dealer ship the bike without a reg plate? am I better off having it shipped with the reg plate which I can post back at a later date?

2. What paper work do I need the dealer to send in order for me to have it registered here?

3. Any other info that might be useful, payment method etc etc

Sorry another quick one. There is another bike from a private seller which is alot cheaper than the dealers. It was first registered in 07/14 & has 17,000km on it. It looks like it was used for touring. It has a full service history. Would the 17k put you off? or would the full service history put you at ease?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Ive spotted a bike in Germany from a dealer I like. The dealer is close to overlanders.ie transport hub which is a bonus. What should I expect from the dealer? The bike will be over 6 months old and have over 6000km on the clock.

1. Will the dealer ship the bike without a reg plate? am I better off having it shipped with the reg plate which I can post back at a later date?

Why would it not have a reg plate? Just get them to send it with one so you can drive the bike straight away. Kinda confused why you would post a reg plate back to them?

2. What paper work do I need the dealer to send in order for me to have it registered here?

Whatever the equivalent of a log book is over there.

If its a company you trust then just bank transfer them.

Sorry another quick one. There is another bike from a private seller which is alot cheaper than the dealers. It was first registered in 07/14 & has 17,000km on it. It looks like it was used for touring. It has a full service history. Would the 17k put you off? or would the full service history put you at ease?

17,000km is nothing... Just look up the service intervals for the bike for a milestone service and see if it was done.

Answers in red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

IIRC In Germany they don't allow reg plates to leave the country you'll need export plates for the road, think that they are ZZ plates.

Easiest way to find out what you need to register a bike from Germany is contact your local NCT centre and ask, should be revenue but they'll most likely push you to the NCT. Then contact the seller and make sure that they are willing to send them.

Depending on the bike 17k is nothing or could be the end of it. The problem you'll have is that the service history will be in German and unverifible before you purchase.

If buying unseen I'd pay at bit more and use a dealer as they are more likely to be willing to do the work for an export and you'll have some recourse if it's dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

goodlad wrote: »
    Answers in red

Thanks Goodlad. In Germany the reg plate is supposed to stay with the owner. I guess if it comes without a reg plate the only hassel will be getting the bike transported to a vrt place. Or most likely ill walk it in to the compound:P

Thanks to another user here (Terrydel ) what I plan to to if I go with the private seller is get more photos and info. I can make a part payment up front and when the bike is dropped off at the overlanders hub I can transfer the rest. I will also complete the ADAC contract with the sell which adds protection.

Good point regarding the service intervals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Del2005 wrote: »
    IIRC In Germany they don't allow reg plates to leave the country you'll need export plates for the road, think that they are ZZ plates.

Easiest way to find out what you need to register a bike from Germany is contact your local NCT centre and ask, should be revenue but they'll most likely push you to the NCT. Then contact the seller and make sure that they are willing to send them.

Depending on the bike 17k is nothing or could be the end of it. The problem you'll have is that the service history will be in German and unverifible before you purchase.

If buying unseen I'd pay at bit more and use a dealer as they are more likely to be willing to do the work for an export and you'll have some recourse if it's dodgy.

revenue 100% do not deal with VRT any longer. Its NCT Centre all the way

Del2005 wrote: »

So even If I have the bike shipped from Germany it will need export plates? I thought maybe you would only need export plates if the bike was been riddin out of Germany?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I've bought many bike from Germany over the years.

1. Used bikes don't have reg plates, and as you're shipping it, you don't need them.
    2. You need the german Kfz-schein (KraftFahrzeug-schein - aka, the 'tax book' or registration cert as we know it). looks like this: https://www.google.ie/search?q=kfz-schein&biw=1536&bih=793&tbm=isch&imgil=O9IvzkvlwEeevM%253A%253Brtm8002slx_JuM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.1erforum.de%25252Fbmw-1er-coupe%25252Fm1-kfz-schein-car-registration-45698.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=O9IvzkvlwEeevM%253A%252Crtm8002slx_JuM%252C_&usg=__5ods-aAhhCwvCyLpUiW3JMfKspc%3D&ved=0CCgQyjdqFQoTCKT0uujEzsgCFUWNDQodqNgKzg&ei=O-IkVuTqN8WaNqixq_AM#imgrc=O9IvzkvlwEeevM%3A&usg=__5ods-aAhhCwvCyLpUiW3JMfKspc%3D
    3. If a formal dealer, just to a bank transfer - get the dealers details. A transfer under €12k is only a few euro.
    4. 17k kms is nothing. I've bought bikes in Germany (from dealers) with many times that and they were mint. At 17k it's probably only had 2 services anyway(depends on what it is)

Private buyer is caveat emptor too: you have the hassle of arranging (and trusting) payment. You have to do the paperwork. You have to arrange collection.

Either way, you can't fly to Germany, buy a bike and drive it home. If riding it home you'll have to buy temporary export registration and insurance, first.

If shipping it, make sure you get the keys (all of them, including the Master, if applicable) - ditto fobs for alarm etc. Not sure how Overlanders handle that as I didn't use them, but maybe they'll take care of that for you.

Any more questions, let me know - if you need help reading the Kfz-schein, let me know.

What is it btw ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

German reg plate is registered to owner not to the vehicle like here.
    I think you have to have a temporary reg assigned to the vehicle before you can export it, at least this is what the procedure is for a Car.
    For a bike the insurance and tax may not have to be bought as you will not be riding it on the road but I have an idea that they may need to be got before the reg plate (temporary export) is issued.
    http://deckungskarten.eu/epages/336c867f-595e-43e2-a6b1-9050125999a8.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectPath=%2FShops%2F336c867f-595e-43e2-a6b1-9050125999a8

CJhaughey wrote: »
    German reg plate is registered to owner not to the vehicle like here.
    I think you have to have a temporary reg assigned to the vehicle before you can export it, at least this is what the procedure is for a Car.
    For a bike the insurance and tax may not have to be bought as you will not be riding it on the road but I have an idea that they may need to be got before the reg plate (temporary export) is issued.
    http://deckungskarten.eu/epages/336c867f-595e-43e2-a6b1-9050125999a8.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectPath=%2FShops%2F336c867f-595e-43e2-a6b1-9050125999a8

No registration or insurance required if it's being shipped (i.e. not driven). You put it on a pallet, in/on a truck, and off it goes - have done this oh.......15+ times at least.

That link you have is only for something to be driven from Germany, not shipped. If you ship a car on a transporter you don't need plates either btw.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    I've bought many bike from Germany over the years.

1. Used bikes don't have reg plates, and as you're shipping it, you don't need them.
    2. You need the german Kfz-schein (KraftFahrzeug-schein - aka, the 'tax book' or registration cert as we know it). looks like this: https://www.google.ie/search?q=kfz-schein&biw=1536&bih=793&tbm=isch&imgil=O9IvzkvlwEeevM%253A%253Brtm8002slx_JuM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.1erforum.de%25252Fbmw-1er-coupe%25252Fm1-kfz-schein-car-registration-45698.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=O9IvzkvlwEeevM%253A%252Crtm8002slx_JuM%252C_&usg=__5ods-aAhhCwvCyLpUiW3JMfKspc%3D&ved=0CCgQyjdqFQoTCKT0uujEzsgCFUWNDQodqNgKzg&ei=O-IkVuTqN8WaNqixq_AM#imgrc=O9IvzkvlwEeevM%3A&usg=__5ods-aAhhCwvCyLpUiW3JMfKspc%3D
    3. If a formal dealer, just to a bank transfer - get the dealers details. A transfer under €12k is only a few euro.
    4. 17k kms is nothing. I've bought bikes in Germany (from dealers) with many times that and they were mint. At 17k it's probably only had 2 services anyway(depends on what it is)

Private buyer is caveat emptor too: you have the hassle of arranging (and trusting) payment. You have to do the paperwork. You have to arrange collection.

Either way, you can't fly to Germany, buy a bike and drive it home. If riding it home you'll have to buy temporary export registration and insurance, first.

If shipping it, make sure you get the keys (all of them, including the Master, if applicable) - ditto fobs for alarm etc. Not sure how Overlanders handle that as I didn't use them, but maybe they'll take care of that for you.

Any more questions, let me know - if you need help reading the Kfz-schein, let me know.

What is it btw ??

Ok thanks lads. I just had one of the German dealers ring me. One of the funniest conversations Ive had over the phone in a long time:P

Galwaytt the bike is http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=215844645# Its the Nc750X DCT version. The private seller with 17k on it is looking for €5300 its considerably cheaper than a dealer.

I spoke with the NCT crowd. Yes ill need the German equivalent of the log book. She said I will need it translated by a registered translator. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ok thanks lads. I just had one of the German dealers ring me. One of the funniest conversations Ive had over the phone in a long time:P

Galwaytt the bike is http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=215844645# Its the Nc750X DCT version. The private seller with 17k on it is looking for €5300 its considerably cheaper than a dealer.

I spoke with the NCT crowd. Yes ill need the German equivalent of the log book. She said I will need it translated by a registered translator. Any recommendations?

http://www.certifiedtranslations.ie/official-translation-prices

?

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »

Ill ring them back if I go this route. I was said to me that they dont always need them translated but I dont wont to take any risks

Very nice - I'd really like one of those myself tbh. I bought a 500cc maxi-scooter years ago, and the NC appeals - if you get it, I wouldn't mind a look.

As for the €1000 extra you're being asked by the dealer, that has only 2923kms on it, so be wary of the 6k kms limit to avoid VAT............

I found this on mobile.de which is between the two prices, and avoids the VAT This one

Translator ? Never been asked for one - they should be able to read it as-is, but in any case it wouldn't be a deal breaker to get it sorted as the format of the document is common across the EU Directive 1999/37 lays out the EU standard and relevant boxes on the reg cert, so no translation is actually needed... (ref this: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:31999L0037) . That said, it is the NCT crowd you're dealing with............. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I wouldn't translate it until you actually get asked to tbh.

If Overlanders will broker the private bike it might be worth a punt (sic).

Ode To The Motorist

Very nice - I'd really like one of those myself tbh. I bought a 500cc maxi-scooter years ago, and the NC appeals - if you get it, I wouldn't mind a look.

As for the €1000 extra you're being asked by the dealer, that has only 2923kms on it, so be wary of the 6k kms limit to avoid VAT............

I found this on mobile.de which is between the two prices, and avoids the VAT This one

Translator ? Never been asked for one - they should be able to read it as-is, but in any case it wouldn't be a deal breaker to get it sorted as the format of the document is common across the EU Directive 1999/37 lays out the EU standard and relevant boxes on the reg cert, so no translation is actually needed... (ref this: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:31999L0037) . That said, it is the NCT crowd you're dealing with............. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I wouldn't translate it until you actually get asked to tbh.

If Overlanders will broker the private bike it might be worth a punt (sic).

The MPG and 8000 mile service interval is the key player for me. I do have a secret plan to buy a, shall we say sportier bike that I would use once a week during the summer but thats for the future and it would be a sub €1500 bike:o

Im actually looking at a few bikes and talking with 2 dealers at the moment. The one you posted above is great but it falls under the 6 month old rule. I like this http://www.autoscout24.com/offers/honda-nc-750-xd-dct-gasoline-black-276397935 but it really depends on how much I can get him to knock off the asking price. It has hand guards, rear hugger, chain guard which is a plus because its stuff I would want to fit myself.

Looking at the bike above for €6970, What offer would you start off with?
    Ill be selling my car and cb400 so this helps fund the purchase of the new bike

The MPG and 8000 mile service interval is the key player for me. I do have a secret plan to buy a, shall we say sportier bike that I would use once a week during the summer but thats for the future and it would be a sub €1500 bike:o

Im actually looking at a few bikes and talking with 2 dealers at the moment. The one you posted above is great but it falls under the 6 month old rule. I like this http://www.autoscout24.com/offers/honda-nc-750-xd-dct-gasoline-black-276397935 but it really depends on how much I can get him to knock off the asking price. It has hand guards, rear hugger, chain guard which is a plus because its stuff I would want to fit myself.

Looking at the bike above for €6970, What offer would you start off with?
    Ill be selling my car and cb400 so this helps fund the purchase of the new bike

Sugar, I forgot the date as well :o .

Tbh, haggling in Germany is for far smaller amounts than you would see here. You'd be lucky to see €150 off in my experience. Ze preis ist ze preis as they were fond of telling me... :) Mind you, you're buying at the right time: now is the time they're getting ready to shut for winter, in the South at least.

I'd say you're gunning for the red, so your choice is kind of limited - there's a few black ones on there that tick the boxes a bit cheaper.

Ode To The Motorist

Sugar, I forgot the date as well :o .

Tbh, haggling in Germany is for far smaller amounts than you would see here. You'd be lucky to see €150 off in my experience. Ze preis ist ze preis as they were fond of telling me... :) Mind you, you're buying at the right time: now is the time they're getting ready to shut for winter, in the South at least.

I'd say you're gunning for the red, so your choice is kind of limited - there's a few black ones on there that tick the boxes a bit cheaper.

The bike going for €6790. I have him down to €6500. I have offered €6300 and if he cannot do that I said I could pay the €6500 if he fits heated grips.:cool: I know shipping and Vrt ads to this but its still a good price compared to here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

It wont have a reg plate as they belong to the owner in Germany.
    It probably would be better to have it shipped with a plate, but as its a dealer it will have already gone back to the owner in all likelihood. The dealer may be able to arrange a temp German plate for you, but that will mean an additional cost to you.
    You need the German logbook (fahrzeugschien and/or fahrzeugschein)

I got mine translated, let me see if I have the emails.
    Mind you, I turned up at the nct centre and was told they weren't needed!

Try Christa Schusser at the Goethe Institut.
    She translated for me, cheaper than anywhere else, would recommend.

terrydel wrote: »
    Try Christa Schusser at the Goethe Institut.
    She translated for me, cheaper than anywhere else, would recommend.

Thanks for the help Terry. When they say have the log book translated what exactly will the translator hand me?

Ok im close to a deal. Ill prob make payment on Thursday.

Ive asked for a contract, the log book and a receipt. Anything im missing....especially for the vrt crowd?

• Advertisement

I got mine translated, let me see if I have the emails.
    Mind you, I turned up at the nct centre and was told they weren't needed!

Correct, they're not needed. That's why the documents were standardised across the EU in 1999 - for the date of first reg they look at the date in the (same) box as on ours. That was the whole point of the exercise, which I'm sure cost millions upon millions to implement...........

And once again, you don't need a plate.......you're not riding it away...

Ode To The Motorist

Thanks for the help Terry. When they say have the log book translated what exactly will the translator hand me?

No worries.
    They will hand you a document that has all the info that is on the German doc, translated into English. Christa who did mine did a great job on them, very easy for the nct crowd to know what they are looking at should they wish.
    All they really want tho, as far as I could see, was the original german docs and to ensure the vin and chassis numbers match whats on the bike.

Correct, they're not needed. That's why the documents were standardised across the EU in 1999 - for the date of first reg they look at the date in the (same) box as on ours. That was the whole point of the exercise, which I'm sure cost millions upon millions to implement...........

And once again, you don't need a plate.......you're not riding it away...

The reason the plate id handy is it means you can drive the thing in Ireland in order to get to nct. Without a licence plate youd be taking a risk, at least with a german plate you don't look so obvious to the gardai.
    The guy I bought my bike off was a super fella, he left the plate on and allowed me to post it back. I doubt most would however.
    I still get messages from him, showing me his new bikes!

The reason the plate id handy is it means you can drive the thing in Ireland in order to get to nct. Without a licence plate youd be taking a risk, at least with a german plate you don't look so obvious to the gardai.
    The guy I bought my bike off was a super fella, he left the plate on and allowed me to post it back. I doubt most would however.
    I still get messages from him, showing me his new bikes!

I had a dream last night that I would use the reg off my cb to get the bike home and to a vrt centre. This dream had risks but organising a trailer or van would be a hard task.;)

I just spotted under the price of the bike im looking at has this ( MwSt. nicht ausweisbar ) which google translates into ( Vat not included ). Ill get onto the dealer in the morning but surely Vat has already been paid on this bike as its secondhand? I dont think this was posted on the add when I first looked

I just spotted under the price of the bike im looking at has this ( MwSt. nicht ausweisbar ) which google translates into ( Vat not included ). Ill get onto the dealer in the morning but surely Vat has already been paid on this bike as its secondhand? I dont think this was posted on the add when I first looked

No, that means it's not reclaimable, which is different...........you're over-thinking it !

Ode To The Motorist

No, that means it's not reclaimable, which is different...........you're over-thinking it !

Lol I get in from work in the early hrs of the morning and seen the text under the price. I googled it and it translated Into the vat was not included. 10 mins of googling later I copped it meant that vat is like you say" not reclaimable". All going well I'll have it by the middle of next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

For what it's worth I imported a camper from a private seller in Germany in 2007. I had a German buddy with me for the lingo but it went something like this:

Met seller at his house, paid and got the registration docs (no plates on at this stage).

Went to local official motor whatever office and declared vehicle was going for export and they issued a plate number that was valid for a few days and this included insurance, fee was about €110. We might have had to go to a couple of different counters.

Went to the shop next door and they make the plates, the little stamps that indicate it is taxed and insured (I think) are added, not sure who did that bit.

Went back to the wagon, screwed on the plates and drove it home. VRT'd it etc.

I had also insured it with a company in Ireland using the chassis number but I don't think this was necessary until the German plate expired.

Good luck with your import, exciting stuff. I had often wondered if there was value to be had with German bikes and then I have a quick look on eBay and they seem dear enough....

For what it's worth I imported a camper from a private seller in Germany in 2007. I had a German buddy with me for the lingo but it went something like this:

Met seller at his house, paid and got the registration docs (no plates on at this stage).

Went to local official motor whatever office and declared vehicle was going for export and they issued a plate number that was valid for a few days and this included insurance, fee was about €110. We might have had to go to a couple of different counters.

Went to the shop next door and they make the plates, the little stamps that indicate it is taxed and insured (I think) are added, not sure who did that bit.

Went back to the wagon, screwed on the plates and drove it home. VRT'd it etc.

I had also insured it with a company in Ireland using the chassis number but I don't think this was necessary until the German plate expired.

Good luck with your import, exciting stuff. I had often wondered if there was value to be had with German bikes and then I have a quick look on eBay and they seem dear enough....

Good info.

The advantage of shipping a bike is it just goes on a pallet, and it's cheaper than going over for it and collecting it.

Secondhand bikes are cheaper here and the UK than Germany - they never plummet to a really low level like they do here. Mind you, that said, the condition of them is fantastic. In the South, where they have heavy winters, most are summer-only bikes, hence the condition.

Ye're all giving me ideas now............ :P

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

Im under no illusions that no sooner when I get my bike a same spec model will pop up on donedeal for the same or cheaper price:( The thing is I searched many sites for about a month and the bike I wanted just was not available. As Galwaytt mentioned the TUV test over there is very strict and this adds confidence.

If this works out well ill definitely search for bikes in Germany in the future.

Advertisement