Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower timer

Options
  • 19-10-2015 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

Hi, a relative is developing a product that allows a house owner/landlord to determine how long a shower can run for. It gives a warning beep when the time is about to expire, I personally don't like the idea and I have my doubts about how successful it could be. I'm wondering will it even be legal?

What if there are two students for example living in an apartment and the landlord decides to install this device. The landlord can't prevent one of the tenants from showering at three in the morning with the beep waking the other tenant up. If one tenant goes to the PRTB complaining then surely the LL will have to to remove the device. The same issue could happen with neighbours complaining about the noise.

It's also going to run into problems where the ESB/water is in the tenants name, why would you pay for something that has a restrictor device on it?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

If two or more people are showering together, do they get double/triple the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Seanachai

okedoke wrote: »
    If two or more people are showering together, do they get double/triple the time?

PMSL, it doesn't work that way I'm afraid. The beep sounds like a truck reversing, so much for the simple pleasure of a nice relaxing shower alone or with company :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭Tow

You can buy these off the shelf. Common enough in campsites where they work by token and turn off the hot water when the timer runs out.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

These have existed for years - they were used on military bases etc from WWII onwards if not earlier - there won't be anything patentable and unless he's getting it made in the cheapest factories going there won't be a place in the market for it.

I actually know people who have them to stop a house full of teenage daughters using the entirety of a reservoir a day.

L1011 wrote: »
    These have existed for years - they were used on military bases etc from WWII onwards if not earlier - there won't be anything patentable and unless he's getting it made in the cheapest factories going there won't be a place in the market for it.

I actually know people who have them to stop a house full of teenage daughters using the entirety of a reservoir a day.

That's the market it's mostly aimed at, there are shower heads that can save a lot of water now anyway. I thought that there must be similar products out there already alright. I'd be worried about him pouring money into something that I don't think will have a market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

https://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/cp-electronics-mrt16-wp-touch-activated-time-delay-switch-ip66-waterproof-tamperproof#.ViUBAN7Zeec

£50 , IP66 rated so safe for installation even in the shower cubicle. Adjustable time and the ability to set a 're-push' time to stop people just hitting it again straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭meme74

Tell your relative tos top wasting their time! This is already in existence - campsites/gyms etc. I also remeber someone going on to Dragons Den with similar idea and they got ripped to shreds by the dragons. Alos, why on earth would you/should you be allowed to restrict shower times on teneants, they pay their own water bill not the landlord. Makes no sense.

meme74 wrote: »
    Tell your relative tos top wasting their time! This is already in existence - campsites/gyms etc. I also remeber someone going on to Dragons Den with similar idea and they got ripped to shreds by the dragons. Alos, why on earth would you/should you be allowed to restrict shower times on teneants, they pay their own water bill not the landlord. Makes no sense.

That's it, as far as I'm aware the water has to be in the tenants name so you can't cut off the water supply like that even for a shower.

Seanachai wrote: »
    with the beep waking the other tenant up. The same issue could happen with neighbours complaining about the noise.

Is he installing an air raid siren as the beep?

Someone just having a shower at 3 in the morning will most likely wake anyone else in the house long before the thing beeps.
    meme74 wrote: »
    why on earth would you/should you be allowed to restrict shower times on teneants, they pay their own water bill not the landlord. Makes no sense.

A person doing rent a room where bills are included or a in a house share with rooms let individually where bills are included (rare but I know people in bills inclusive house shares) then the timer would make sense to limit water usage, hot water usage or electricity usage.

To be honest there are some people who I've lived with who would drive you insane taking 30 minute showers using up heaps of electricity, would have been no harm to have a 5 to 10 timer on the shower.

Advertisement