Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to start

Options
  • 19-10-2015 12:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hey. Come from a bit of a running background- looking to get into Tri and wondering what I need to do. Decent swimmer and have a mountain bike. Tips? Budget?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hey. Come from a bit of a running background- looking to get into Tri and wondering what I need to do. Decent swimmer and have a mountain bike. Tips? Budget?

Define decent swimmer?
    What do you mean by a bit of running background?

What to you want to do? Triathlons? Duathlons? Adventure racing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭watercarrier

tunney wrote: »
    Define decent swimmer?
    What do you mean by a bit of running background?

What to you want to do? Triathlons? Duathlons? Adventure racing?

Want to try Tri to tick a box I guess. Still I would have holidayed at a lake every summer as a child and was a pretty strong swimmer (i.e. mile freestyle should be no problem)

Running: hit some decent times good (ish) 5k and half decent marathon (have run a couple)

Do I need a road bike? Should I look for a club? Reckon I could be ok if Ic ould get bike sorted.

When was the last time you swam?
    What was your 5km and half time?

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

For your first tri....if you just want to finish....12 weeks training.... 3 swims, 3 bikes ..3 runs per week. Mtn bike will do for your first. It did for mine. loads of beginner tri plans on the web if you want to delve into further.
    Clubs..plenty of good clubs around the dublin area

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Just pick a race with a pool swim early next year, and plan towards it. Its not difficult at first, just swim bike and run with whatever resources you have. Youll find out quickly what new stuff you need. If in doubt, ask here. :) Clubs are good for the social aspect but levels of coaching vary.

• Advertisement

When was the last time you swam?
    What was your 5km and half time?

Where are you based?

Thanks. I have a 16 min 5k and a 76 min half but those were a couple years ago. Based in DUB

What are subs like for tri clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Varies from club to club. Some are free, others are reasonable, others will sign you up to training programs.

Where are you based?

AKW wrote: »
    Varies from club to club. Some are free, others are reasonable, others will sign you up to training programs.

Where are you based?

as I said above Dublin

as I said above Dublin

Dublina big enough place :)

Southside is Phoenix, Pulse, Belpark
    Citycentre perhaps Piranha or 3dtri
    Northside is Fingal.

Probably a few others around.
    Subs for from feck all to quite a bit. Really depends on what you want from the club and where you live.

• Advertisement

as I said above Dublin

Whoops sorry, missed that, I though you were West. :o

Whoops sorry, missed that, I though you were West. :o

Originally ;)

Thanks everyone. Will look into clubs and report back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Certain clubs might suit you better watercarrier. What are you looking for? Some of the clubs operate on a more structured basis than others, and alternatively there are clubs that have strengths in certain disciplines over others - but above all else club activities should be (a) easy to get to and (b) easier to fit into your schedule. No point signing up to a club whose main group swim session is on a night you have college etc! Contact TI and write to them all for an overview of their offerings and maybe go meet a few, you have nothing to lose.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Certain clubs might suit you better watercarrier. What are you looking for? Some of the clubs operate on a more structured basis than others, and alternatively there are clubs that have strengths in certain disciplines over others - but above all else club activities should be (a) easy to get to and (b) easier to fit into your schedule. No point signing up to a club whose main group swim session is on a night you have college etc! Contact TI and write to them all for an overview of their offerings and maybe go meet a few, you have nothing to lose.

water-under-the-bridge-jes-fritze.jpg

Cool. Thanks. Just looking for anywhere that trains sensibly and doesn't have a pissing contest to determine the "hardest" man/ woman (i.e. 1 legged workouts etc etc)

Cool. Thanks. Just looking for anywhere that trains sensibly and doesn't have a pissing contest to determine the "hardest" man/ woman (i.e. 1 legged workouts etc etc)

What have you got against para-triathletes?

I think tunney's club would fit the bill perfectly, maybe he will share details with you.

I think tunney's club would fit the bill perfectly, maybe he will share details with you.

Fraid not. All our club spins are done with no hands on the bars.

Well we swim with anchors so that's us out.

• Advertisement

What have you got against para-triathletes?

Just noticed in the logs that some here do "1 legged workouts" possibly to prove toughness (I don't know just a guess!)

Obviously nothing against para-tri

Contrary to populist believe, one legged drills are to improve muscle coordination and to determine if there are flatspots in your pedalling. You should be pedalling smoothly in a continuous circle without any juddering or missed power.

Toughness comes elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

^ That and of course if you are unlucky enough to find yourself in the situation of Jeff Symonds and have to cycle thebike leg with a knackered pedal https://www.facebook.com/getuglytriathlon :pac:

^ That and of course if you are unlucky enough to find yourself in the situation of Jeff Symonds and have to cycle thebike leg with a knackered pedal https://www.facebook.com/getuglytriathlon :pac:

Happened to me in Cope triathlon a few years ago. Crank unwound but stayed attached to my foot via the pedal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Happened to me in Cope triathlon a few years ago. Crank unwound but stayed attached to my foot via the pedal. :)

Happened me in CK tri this year, pedal broke after 200m. I quit.

#dontfeedthetroll

Advertisement