Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

monitored alarm vs normal

Options
  • 19-10-2015 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

This for an new installation with the latest technology:

Is a decent broadband connection required for monitoring( for phonewatch or other monitored alarm providers)

Is phone watch the only provider with motion detectors that also have cameras to send pictures to monitoring station?( domestic alarm)

other type of monitoring, Whats the point of monitoring if there are no pictures ? Is it not the same thing to have the alarm just send a text to my phone and other key holders?

Are all monitored alarms at risk of being blocked/jammed/phone wires cut etc?

Is it possible an alarm that is not monitored to be turned on/off/reset with a smart phone?
    e.g alarm ringing, I'm in work, somebody checks house (but is not a key holder), confirms all is ok - I reset alarm from work?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Broadband is not a requirement at all for monitoring. It is used to run many apps for remote access and self monitoring via emails and push notifications.

I don't know of anyone else offering that service at present. Most are against the idea of controllers in a monitoring station being able to view images inside somebody's home.

The pictures are irrelevant and are just a gimmick IMO. When the Guards are called they are simply told it's a verified alarm or panic alarm and they respond as they see fit. A verified alarm with multiple zones activations will be treated the same as any phonewatch activation.
    My take on monitoring is its there for the Garda response where and when required. You won't get that with text or any other forms of self monitoring.
    Any monitored alarm can be jammed or disconnected by one means or another.
    It's down to how secure you want to make it and how much you are willing to pay for back ups.
    Self monitoring via an app is possible and available without monitoring fees or subscription charges. These apps would allow you to get notifications, check the zones yourself and reset the alarm remotely.

Advertisement