Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

could be washing machine and dryer in the bathroom?

Options
  • 19-10-2015 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello. I would like to ask if could be washing machine and dryer in the bathroom. When no electrician was willing to connect my new washer in the bathroom where was the old one, the letting agent got a handyman to do that. It is now standing: the washing machine is about 5 cm from the shower corner(which has metal frame) and the dryer is on timbers moved closer to about 1 cm from the shower corner and is as high as the metal frame of the shower corner. They are connected to cooker switch. Yeah and there is leaking water all around as the steam condensate on the walls and appliances. I've got housing PRTB inspector here and he claimed it was dangerous and issued a letter to the agent. The agent claimed he asked ESB people and they said it is safe. Both ignore me now. I need to know the legislation to help me decide my actions. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Velka wrote: »
    Hello. I would like to ask if could be washing machine and dryer in the bathroom. When no electrician was willing to connect my new washer in the bathroom where was the old one, the letting agent got a handyman to do that. It is now standing: the washing machine is about 5 cm from the shower corner(which has metal frame) and the dryer is on timbers moved closer to about 1 cm from the shower corner and is as high as the metal frame of the shower corner. They are connected to cooker switch. Yeah and there is leaking water all around as the steam condensate on the walls and appliances. I've got housing PRTB inspector here and he claimed it was dangerous and issued a letter to the agent. The agent claimed he asked ESB people and they said it is safe. Both ignore me now. I need to know the legislation to help me decide my actions. Thanks

A few points to note:

1) The ESB are not responsible for anything on the customer side of the meter.
    2) Water and mains voltage electricity can be a very dangerous mixture.
    3) An electrician should be doing the electrical work as they are familiar with the regulations. My advice would be not to let a handyman do any electrical work beyond changing a light bulb.
    4) The fact that no electrician would connect these units says a lot! People should listen to the advice of professionals more often. I don't mean to be melodramatic but this may have saved your life.

It is possible to install these units in a bathroom and comply with the regulations. However this is not normally the case and it would need to be a large bathroom so that the units can be far enough away from the bath / shower. In addition theses units could not be plugged into a socket, instead they would have to be permanently wired to a spur outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Velka

2011 wrote: »
    A few points to note:

1) The ESB are not responsible for anything on the customer side of the meter.
    2) Water and mains voltage electricity can be a very dangerous mixture.
    3) An electrician should be doing the electrical work as they are familiar with the regulations. My advice would be not to let a handyman do any electrical work beyond changing a light bulb.
    4) The fact that no electrician would connect these units says a lot! People should listen to the advice of professionals more often. I don't mean to be melodramatic but this may have saved your life.

It is possible to install these units in a bathroom and comply with the regulations. However this is not normally the case and it would need to be a large bathroom so that the units can be far enough away from the bath / shower. In addition theses units could not be plugged into a socket, instead they would have to be permanently wired to a spur outlet.

Thanks for reply. I knew all points but I am a tenant and I have no say in the way the agent handle the situation. I am in trap. Small town. The local authority I called claimed it is dangerous and must be moved out from the bathroom but they avoid to proceed any action against the agent. The agent claims it is safe the way it is. And I am really scared. I need to know what exactly say the legislation because it seems I would have to go not only against the agent but the authority too. I need to be 100% sure. Btw. what is a spur outlet? is the cooker switch ok in the bathroom?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Velka wrote: »
    The local authority I called claimed it is dangerous and must be moved out from the bathroom but they avoid to proceed any action against the agent.

That is disappointing.
    The agent claims it is safe the way it is.
    The agent is not qualified to make this assessment (unless he /she is an electrician).
    I need to know what exactly say the legislation because it seems I would have to go not only against the agent but the authority too. I need to be 100% sure.

There are regulations that state what is and is not permitted.
    I am abroad with work so I am not able to quote these for you.
    is the cooker switch ok in the bathroom?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Velka

The agent is not qualified to make this assessment (unless he /she is an electrician).

You know how it goes ..... his word is the law until I prove him wrong which would be difficult. He declined inspector's claim. And inspector does not pursue that, even made sure his claim is not valid.

There are regulations that state what is and is not permitted.
    I am abroad with work so I am not able to quote these for you.

Thank you anyway. When you get a chance (if ever) you can send it to me :-)

Advertisement