Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oakland's lake

Options
  • 19-10-2015 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi, I was on this before but lost my password so made new account.. So basically I'm wondering has anyone had any productive sessions in Oakland's.. I went onto there site but couldn't find much info I'm wondering can you camp at the venue ? And also any advice and techniques for this time of year for carp like baits and methods thanks,
    Dylan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

There's certainly no camping at Oaklands, they lock up at dusk each day.
    As for methods it really depends on weather and water temperatures. It would mostly be swimfeeder / method / PVA at the moment for me though if I was fishing a carp lake for the first time.

As for bait you can't go wrong with a mixture of maggots, sweetcorn and pellets.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dyl15

Oh camping would have been a bonus but I seen on their site they do a bundle including a b&b so that could be an option and thanks for the advice more of a pike angler but wanted to try for carp before I go back to the pike.. Would boilies be worth a try ?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭flounder

Had some exellent days down there. If it's mainly carp and tench your after you won't go wrong with some tinned luncheon or pellets.
    Don't think you can use boilies or nuts there.
    Would really bother with maggots or you might be plagued with small rudd.

Dyl15 wrote: »
    Would boilies be worth a try ?

I'm not in a position to comment on above, I've caught thousands of carp on pellets etc., not for lack of use but i've never caught a carp on a boilie !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭breakemall

Keep away from the maggots unless you want to catch lots of silver fish. I have found bread to be very good at Oaklands but I am not sure how it goes in the colder weather this time of year.

breakemall wrote: »
    Keep away from the maggots unless you want to catch lots of silver fish. I have found bread to be very good at Oaklands but I am not sure how it goes in the colder weather this time of year.

Doubt bread would work this time of year, last time I was there sometime in June we were catching a carp a cast off the surface on bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭breakemall

I fish the bread under a weighted waggler rather than on the surface and almost a fish a cast too. It worked well in the spring and during the summer but I have never fished it this time of year and if things were slow it is always worth a chuck or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dyl15

Thanks for all the replys and good advice lads. Yea I'd say I'll stay away from the maggots alright I'd say I will get some pellets are there a particular brand or flavour that work best for ye this time of year ? As well could I use the same running leger rig I would use for pike rigs and can you buy ready made hair rigs in a tackle shop ? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭flounder

Yes they have hair rigs. They have a fully stocked tackle shop on sit.

Have a chat with Adrian or his wife when you get there. They will help you out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement