Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage rates

• 19-10-2015 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Our 5 years fixed mortgage rate of 4.1% with EBS is ending this month. We have the following options to choose from.
    standard variable rate of 3.7%
    2 years fixed =3.6%
    3 years=3.65℅,
    5 years 3.8℅
    Your thoughts please:-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

SVR of 3.7% and overpay the "saved" 0.4%. Don't pocket it.

Or switch to another bank! Or see if EBS will put you onto a cheaper LTV rate if they offer them and allow you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

Or switch to another bank! Or see if EBS will put you onto a cheaper LTV rate if they offer them and allow you to.

By that logic, why not recommend the 2 Year fixed and over pay the "saved" 0.5%?

Although historically fixed rates have always been higher than variables so when it's lower you have to question that bank's expectations of the SVR. ie they will probably fall.
    I'd be inclined to stick with the SVR and take peaceboi's advice on overpaying

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Thing is we got 2 more years of the mortgage relief, so switching would make it void.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

peaceboi wrote: »
    Our 5 years fixed mortgage rate of 4.1% with EBS is ending this month. We have the following options to choose from.
    standard variable rate of 3.7%
    2 years fixed =3.6%
    3 years=3.65℅,
    5 years 3.8℅
    Your thoughts please:-)

My 5 year fixed rate with PTSB is ending this month and my options are :

4.5% SVR
    7.5% 2 yr fixed
    8.75% 5 yr fixed

so you are in a better place than me !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Seve1980

peaceboi wrote: »
    Thing is we got 2 more years of the mortgage relief, so switching would make it void.

Your mortgage relief (trs) moves with your switch so you can still claim it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

You only fix when you think they may increase rates. With the absolute state the european economy is in. The chance of an interest rate hike within 2 years is non-existant. Within 5 years probably not either. I dont think the 0.1% saving is enough to fix for 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

danmanw8 wrote: »
    By that logic, why not recommend the 2 Year fixed and over pay the "saved" 0.5%?

Because in general, you can't overpay on the fixed. Gotta do some maths, the overpaying+SVR will reduce the monthly payment over two years and may result in you paying less than you would if you fixed at the lower rate.

Advertisement