Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted - smartphone with easy-to-use keypad

Options
  • 19-10-2015 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

A couple of years ago I bought a cheap (but well-known brand) smartphone. I found the on-screen keypad unusable, because almost every letter I tried to type came up wrong. After a few months I gave the phone away and reverted to using an old-style mobile.

Now I would like to try again with smartphones. Can anyone recommend a smartphone with either (1) a hard-button keypad, or, failing that, (2) a really easy to use on screen keypad with good big keys?

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Do you know exactly what model the phone it was?

The old screens used a different technology so are nothing like the touchscreens now. Also have more options on sizing, and different ways to use the keyboard so I wouldn't be too worried.

Have a look at the forum sticky to see what other factors you would want in the phone and post back here.

Also, if you want to go instore and try out live demos to see what you think of the different phones and different OS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

If you need a physical keyboard then a BlackBerry is the way to go. But tbh, it eats up a load of space that could be used for the screen. Both iOS and Android have good keyboards so I'd be surprised if you had any issues with either. Maybe try out a friends phone and see if they have improved on what you have used in the past. Failing that, both have custom keyboards do you should find something that suits if the standard one is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

The previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy Y.

I did not know Blackberrys were still on the market; none of the phone shops in Dublin seems to have them. I really do not mind sacrificing some screen-space for a button keypad, so if I can run the Blackberry with my Vodaphone pay as you go then that would probably work.

I suppose anything that gives me access to big, unmissable keys would also suit. I know I have much less trouble with the keypad on my iPad mini than I did on that phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I did not know Blackberrys were still on the market; none of the phone shops in Dublin seems to have them. I really do not mind sacrificing some screen-space for a button keypad, so if I can run the Blackberry with my Vodaphone pay as you go then that would probably work.

I suppose anything that gives me access to big, unmissable keys would also suit. I know I have much less trouble with the keypad on my iPad mini than I did on that phone.

That has a tiny 3" screen - no wonder it was a problem. A modern smartphone with a 4.7" screen would be twice the size of that. I recommend you try out a larger phone and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If you liked the galaxy apart from the keyboard issue try the Galaxy core prime out instore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement