Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gestational diabetes testing NMH Holles St

Options
  • 19-10-2015 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was told at my booking appointment I would be tested for GD at 28 wks. Will they do it at the regular appointment or should I expect a letter in the post for a seperate appointment?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No, they should have made the appointment with you at the booking in appointment, they did in the Rotunda and Coombe for me anyway on my last pregnancies.

It's not a regular appointment, you've to go in early in the morning and stay for at least 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Oh I thought it would be a 1 hour test, that is what they did at the booking appointment due to risk factors.

I tried ringing and didn't get through. Will ask next week if I don't get to talk to them before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My GTT was a 3 hour test. Basically I went in that morning for 8am, they took fasting bloods, then I had to drink some lucozade and they took bloods again at 1 hour post drinking and 2 hours post drinking the liquid, then they fed me a sandwich and that was it I was able to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I think there are two different types of tests for GD. One involves fasting the night before.

With the one i did, i had 15 mins to drink glucose and waited an hour and returned for my blood tests and that was it. It wasnt like the 3 hour one

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Yeah in holles St they do a pre test thing to see your sugar levels and if they are over a certain number then you have to do the 3 hour one. The pre test is just take a drink, wait one hour then have bloods and ring next day for results.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

cruais wrote: »
    I think there are two different types of tests for GD. One involves fasting the night before.

With the one i did, i had 15 mins to drink glucose and waited an hour and returned for my blood tests and that was it. It wasnt like the 3 hour one

I did that one, they only get you back for the 3 hour one if your sugars are high. They call the one hour test a Glucose Challenge, then the Glucose Tolerance Test is the 3 hour one. Worst part was farting around the hospital for an hour, cos technically you're not meant to walk around too much cos they want to see how your body processes the glucose at rest. The actual blood test was a 2 minute job, thank feck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I have my 28 week check up this week and they said they would do it at that. I am hoping I can get the liquid when I arrive so I will be pretty much done after seeing the consultant.....

Advertisement