Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overreaction at some satire

Options
  • 19-10-2015 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭

So I got a 3-day ban for this.

Thing is, given it's content and what it's replying to, I would have thought it pretty clear that it purely satirical and tongue in cheek. I was replying, using over-the-top political correctness, accusing the poster of bigotry just as they had accused others. There was no real abuse intended outside of showing how ridiculous such accusations are in the first place.

I would have thought this obvious to readers, but unfortunately Boom_Bap didn't understand this and what followed was what I believe is a complete overreaction based upon what I hope is a misunderstanding. I've already written to him/her, but have not received any reply, hence my escalating it here.

I'm particularly miffed, as I was hoping to follow up with a post where I say I'm a self-identifying Beluga whale as I reject the outdated notion that species is digital.

Anyhow, hoping this misunderstanding can be resolved quickly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi there.

The first step of this process in to resolve this yourselves. Have you explained this to the mod via PM? If so, please forward me a copy of the PM conversation. If not, please give it a bit more time for the mod to respond & continue to attempt to sort this out between you. If that's not possible - come back here & I'll take a look at this for you.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Hi, the moderator got back to me this morning, we've exchanged emails and there is no resolution.

Apparently, he/she accepts that I was not serious, that I was "taking the piss", but even though I was not seeking to insult, the use of the term 'bigot' was unacceptable and seen as an insult even though it was not.

I can forward the exchange to you with the moderators permission.

I'm afraid, I'm finding it difficult to get around this kind of deranged logic. Is there a list of unacceptable vocabulary on Boards now? Or is this not just a tad dubious and smacks more of someone who banned before reading properly?

Please forward me the PM exchange in relation to this matter & I will look into it further for you.

tHB

Hi TC.

Thanks for the PMs.

I appreciate that your post was an attempt at satire.

If you didn't have the history in AH of cards & bans for personal abuse & being uncivil - the whole post may have been taken as satire. But with 5 AH actions taken against you this year - 2 for being uncivil & 2 for personal abuse - well, I can see why the mod saw your reference to the poster being a "racist bigot" as a step too far.

Ordinarily, this would have warranted a card, however, due to previous sanctions you received - a warning, an infraction, a 1-day ban & a 2-day ban - the next step was the 3-day ban given by the mod. You can see where this is going...

I uphold the ban & strongly suggest that you adjust your posting style in the forum.

You may appeal to an Admin if you wish.

tHB

A ban, warning or infraction is for the purposes of transgressions, not for past transgressions that have already been acted upon. The moderator has already admitted that it was not personal abuse, so in essence I have received a ban for transgressions I've already 'served time for' in full knowledge by the moderator that I did not actually carry out the very act that I was punished for.

If banning people not for what they the do, but for what they did in the past and were already punished for is a new guideline, then please confirm so. Otherwise I request appeal by an Admin.

• Advertisement

In AH, as in many other forums, mod sanctions are issued on an increasing basis - particularly for issues of a similar nature.

Poster does something wrong - gets a warning.
    Does it again - gets an infraction (to hammer the point home)
    Does it again - time for a ban (to really hammer the point home)
    Does it again - ban length increased (to really, really, etc...)

This is where your previous form with being uncivil/personal attacks have brought us to where we are today with your latest "racist bigot" remark.

Please indicate if you wish to appeal to an Admin.

tHB

This is where your previous form with being uncivil/personal attacks have brought us to where we are today with your latest "racist bigot" remark.
    Except the moderator has admitted that they knew I was simply 'taking the piss' and that there was no insult. Their objection is the language used, not whether I was insulting anyone. It's in the correspondence I sent.

So, had I actually done something wrong, or even if they had mistakenly believed that I had something wrong, then your logic would apply. Instead my post was acted upon in full knowledge that I had nothing wrong - except perhaps using forbidden language, which is a new one on me and why I sought clarification on what this is. Maybe if it was the language used, it would help if we all knew what we cannot use, either in jest or otherwise, for the future.

So I'd understand were I reprimanded for something I did, but by the moderator's own admission, I didn't actually do it.
    Please indicate if you wish to appeal to an Admin.
    Well, as long as doing so won't result in action against me because of something I did in the past, rather than present, then yes. Sorry about the caveat, but the rules appear to be a little fluid these days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement