Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any benefits to having no lease agreement?

Options
  • 19-10-2015 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I live in a house share since 7 mths ago but signed nothing.

The other tenants are moving out so i will have to rent out the rooms and send the money to the landlord as one of my housemates does this currently.

The house is good value (basic enough) and as long as the landlord is paid monthy he doesn't appear to mind anything!! Never visits, calls, no inventory, has never met me we take repair bills out of rent and no hassles etc

However, he seems reluctant to want to give a lease agreement for 1yr and I'm happy enough to continue and rent the rooms because of the overall cost/location is good but am i setting myself up for a potential fall with notice periods etc

Original housemate had a 1yr lease 3 yrs ago and it rolled on from there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

He's probably unregistered which is a problem. Basically the laws around the lease are their to protect both sides. Living without one can leave you unprotected in certain circumstances.
    You are taking a risk, but if you are happy with the rent and location it might be a risk that pays off. I would personally never take that risk.

In a houseshare situation I've never had a lease (nor did I want one). The places I've lived in have always been individual rooms let to people and you can move out with one months notice regardless of how long you are in the house.

I prefer it this way to be honest as you can move out very easily if you want and only have to give one months notice and I've never had an issue with a LL. You have no messing with long notice periods or any of that sort of thing. I

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bgo1

I may be reading this wrong but if there is no lease document anywhere there is technically no tenancy hence might the landlord not have to register with ptrb. Presumably if I can show iv paid rent albeit to my housemate up to now i have the same part 4 tenancy rights after 6 mths as anyone else renting who may have an actual lease agreement? Thanks.

Advertisement