Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duty on my personal property

Options
  • 19-10-2015 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

I've been working abroad for 12 months and I'm going back to Ireland shortly but I'm doing some traveling first. I don't fancy lugging my personal stuff (Xbox one, laptops etc) around with me so i looked at shipping it back to my parents home.

On the surface of it, it appears that if i do this I'll have to pay duty? The stuff I'm shipping back was all bought in Ireland but ill not have proof of this here so what course of action do i need to take to avoid paying tax (again) on my stuff?

Any and all help is appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Customs are rare to bother imposing duty on stuff like this unless it's new.

Best course of action I would say here is to bring it with you when you return to Ireland rather than shipping it to your family. At the very least then it should be easier to prove that you're not shipping it to someone else.

But if you speak to a shipping agent and Revenue I'm sure they can tell you what you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Where are you shipping it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Muzzier23

Thanks for the update folks.

I'd rather not carry this stuff around. Without the fact that its a PITA, there's a fair possibility that whilst traveling to 5 countries in 6 weeks, something will be damaged so i'd rather ship them and be done with it.

Uno:
    I'm looking to ship from South America.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Muzzier23 wrote: »
    Thanks for the update folks.

I'd rather not carry this stuff around. Without the fact that its a PITA, there's a fair possibility that whilst traveling to 5 countries in 6 weeks, something will be damaged so i'd rather ship them and be done with it.

Uno:
    I'm looking to ship from South America.

I'd say ship it, there may not be any duty on it because you brought it out there from ireland in the first place? Coming from South America it may well come in for some special attention from customs though!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Ship it to yourself at your parents' address; don't put your parents' names on the packaging. Make sure it doesn't look new and don't include any of the original packaging of the various appliances. It's unlikely to be held up but, if it is, you will need to produce evidence that you purchased it in Ireland. If you don't have the receipts, warranties, etc tucked at the back of a drawer at home, then through the wonderful magic that is the internet today you can usually download your old credit card statements showing the purchases, or something like that. But, really, you are very unlikely to have a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Advertisement