Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog dying, sick of being bad guy

• 19-10-2015 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Seems our 12/ /2 greyhound Is dying,

I am purple telling himself, she can't have much longer, I am upset but pretending am ok, coz other half has had her forever......

Not sure what else to say,

She is precious in my life

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    Hey all

I am purple telling himself, she can't have much longer, I am upset but pretending am ok, coz other half has had her forever......

What does your vet recommend? Is she in pain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Very sorry to hear op.

If in pain please don't think you are in any way bad by bringing to the vet.

Its the nicest thing you or anyone can do in that situation.

They are right when they say a dog is your best friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thedumbone

my friend's dog is "dying" since 4 years and yet they are happy he is with them (she is 16yo now)

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    Hey all

That's a good age for a greyhound. Be guided by your Vet. Never an easy time. Good Luck. (I love those gentle giants too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

The day your dog is in pain, or cant eat/drink, or the quality of her life is diminished, is the day to forget the pain/sadness that you will feel, and have her put to sleep. This is the last and most loving thing you can do for your dog.

When she is gone there is grieving just like the grief we feel when a loved human dies.

There is no bad guy in this scenario - you love your dog, your OH loves your dog - the only option is to continue to love your dog, and enjoy every minute you have left with her. Stop thinking about her dying - if she is not unwell or in pain. When the time comes for her to go, you will know, you might delay for a day or two, but you wont be able to look at her 'in trouble' for very long, and you and your OH will do the RIGHT thing.

Enjoy your time with her while she is well - dont let worrying about her age ruin your enjoyment of her while you have her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PearlJ

I was in that position for that past few months. Our Samoyed ( 16) was fading fast. Had a tumor on his eye, hips were going, eye sight going, lost lots of weight.
    He faded very fast over the weekend where he couldn't get up and wouldn't eat or drink. We made the agonizing decision yesterday to put him to sleep. I knew it would be hard but I wasn't expecting to feel so devastated. I ache, I miss him so much. Hands down it was the toughest thing I've ever done so I don't blame your partner for trying to put it off, I did the same but eventually it will get too much to see them in pain.
    You have to let them come to that realisation themselves, my husband had been telling me for months but I wouldn't hear it.
    My thoughts are with you, its bloody hard to do but you don't want your partner to feel like you're forcing them in to the decision. Believe me, they know it needs to be done but can't deal with the end in sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

The vet gave me pain meds, I went back a week later he gave me an injection for her, I went back yesterday, and the vet said the end is very close as the injection did not work.

She has gotten bad the last 2 days, and we are playing it by ear with her. She will most likely be PTS by the weekend. We are sensible and won't let her suffer. This time she really is dying. She was never ill, only annual trips to the vets, we never realised how lucky we were.

We have been through this before, and she has similar symptoms the other dog had close to the end of his life even though he died of cancer.

Our vet is great, tells it as it is and prepared us 2 weeks ago, but we thought we had a little longer. She keeps giving me knowing looks and none of us slept well last night. We have 2 other dogs, and one has been very clingy and minding her all day. I dread to think what will happen to their dynamic.

I just can't believe its been so quick. We took her to the vet with arthritis 2 weeks ago. Vet has been telling us 2 years she was old, we knew she won't live forever. It's just too quick, but we are prepared,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

PearlJ wrote: »
    I was in that position for that past few months. Our Samoyed ( 16) was fading fast. Had a tumor on his eye, hips were going, eye sight going, lost lots of weight.
    He faded very fast over the weekend where he couldn't get up and wouldn't eat or drink. We made the agonizing decision yesterday to put him to sleep. I knew it would be hard but I wasn't expecting to feel so devastated. I ache, I miss him so much. Hands down it was the toughest thing I've ever done so I don't blame your partner for trying to put it off, I did the same but eventually it will get too much to see them in pain.
    You have to let them come to that realisation themselves, my husband had been telling me for months but I wouldn't hear it.
    My thoughts are with you, its bloody hard to do but you don't want your partner to feel like you're forcing them in to the decision. Believe me, they know it needs to be done but can't deal with the end in sight.

I am sorry for your loss.

The first time I had to make the call, I just knew. Up to then I worried we would not know when the time was ready, and I had to delay it by a day because himself was away and I needed him to have 2 days with the dog when he got back, just to say goodbye.

I think it's great being able to ease their pain, and ensure they never suffer. It's a gift being able to give your best friend the respectful ending. You know your dog yourself, and just know....

Himself said he was going to dig her grave tomorrow, said its gonna take a while, we are prepared for it now, but it does take time to sink in.

We were lucky to have her so long.

Advertisement