Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed up connection

Options
  • 19-10-2015 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

Signed up to eircom broadband a few months ago after buying a new house in the country. Went through the whole process of getting set up, had an engineer out to test the line etc. After 2 weeks of no internet, countless calls, more engineer visits we finally got sorted, however while on the phone to the guy who finally fixed the problem (a hardware issue all the other engineers missed) he tells me we will only get 1mb max. Was pretty pissed off that I was never told what we be getting after the hours I spent on the phone to try sort out the issues but with no other options what can we do.

Is there any way to speed up the connection we are getting. Its coming up to the point where we will be paying the full €58 (after online discount has finished)  and Im finding it very hard to justify that price on the speed we are getting. Youtube is virtually unwatchable, Netflix impossible and uploads are non existant.

Speed test below is typical of the speeds we are getting. The modem is saying my connection speed is 512kbps/128kbps[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].[/font]

Anything that can be done to speed up this service as is far from the broadband I signed up for and difficult to even call this broadband
    4759201303.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

wobbles wrote: »
    Signed up to eircom broadband a few months ago after buying a new house in the country. Went through the whole process of getting set up, had an engineer out to test the line etc. After 2 weeks of no internet, countless calls, more engineer visits we finally got sorted, however while on the phone to the guy who finally fixed the problem (a hardware issue all the other engineers missed) he tells me we will only get 1mb max. Was pretty pissed off that I was never told what we be getting after the hours I spent on the phone to try sort out the issues but with no other options what can we do.

Is there any way to speed up the connection we are getting. Its coming up to the point where we will be paying the full €58 (after online discount has finished)  and Im finding it very hard to justify that price on the speed we are getting. Youtube is virtually unwatchable, Netflix impossible and uploads are non existant.

Speed test below is typical of the speeds we are getting. The modem is saying my connection speed is 512kbps/128kbps[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].[/font]

Anything that can be done to speed up this service as is far from the broadband I signed up for and difficult to even call this broadband
    4759201303.png
    Hello wobbles

I will be happy to look in to this for you further if you could please PM me your eir account number.

Thanks
    AL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Any updates.

PM sent on tuesday with account number

Sincere apologies wobbles

I had escalated this the the support teams and I have heard no word back yet so I will treat as priority and ensure you are updates as soon as possible.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks Alan.

wobbles wrote: »
    Thanks Alan.
    No problem at all wobbles - ill get back to you as soon as I have news from tech support

Al

• Advertisement

Any news back from Tech Support yet?

Apologies for the delays wobbles

The technical support team had sent this to the eir networks team for investigation and retesting. Results have come back and I'm afraid the news is not good. Due to your lines distance from it's serving exchange the max speed it can support is
    512Kbit

I know how disappointing this is and I'm genuinely sorry that I can't offer better news. Technical support have advised always connecting via Ethernet cable as WiFi can affect speeds by up to one third in some cases - I know it's not always easy considering most devices don't take Ethernet cable sorry wobbles.

Thanks
    Al

So now im 6 months into my contract and now being told for the first time the max speed ill get is 512kb. Its getting halved every time it gets investigated. 

Once the online discount is gone, my bill will be €58 per month for 512kb which to be fair is ridiculous. We do have a phone but that is only as an add on, broadband is the main reason the connection. Im too far from the exchange even for fibre and fibre to home is still years away realistically. 

What are my options to cancel my contract penalty free or at the very least move me to a cheaper package. You cannot provide me with a service that was offered (up to 24mb) or even close to that.  I am instead getting max speeds 48 times slower than what was sold to me.

I know rural broadband is not going to be super fast, but 512kb is ridiculous. Internet is practically unusable at this speed for anything other than text based sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭Glebee

Good luck with that m8, Im the same boat. Broadband down the country is crap. End of story. No competition means no incentive for Eircom to spend money increasing speeds in small town in my opinion. My max speed is 5. Grand during the day but evening time when you might want to use it its worse than dial up.

I would be happy with 5 to be honest. Im sitting here trying to send an email with a 2mb attachment for the last 20 minutes. Pages like boards can take up to 2/3 minutes to load around this time of night. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

op any other isp's in your area that dont use eir's network? any 4g services? 

Advertisement