Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Henritta Street

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

cgcsb wrote: »

You can of course separate it into units provided it's done properly.

You can. But butchering the house into single units is worst than having it run down and water tight. Its kinda like saying the mona lisa looks a bit faded. It would look better with a fresh paint job, but you are destroying the character for face value.

Why would you butcher the house to put them into single units. Ripping up floors and cut up walls to put in electric and water. I would be nice but its destroying them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

There is a tax incentive scheme for doing up houses like this
    http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/Planning/Documents/LCIFAQs.pdf

Living City Incentive

So say I spend 1 million on the house to refurb it.
    I can then claim a tax credit of 100k a year for 10 years.
    So in affect the state pays for the refurbishment of my palatial pad that just so happens to be of some historical value?
    Obivously id need a 250K salary or more to get full advantage of said tax credit, but only someone with a salary like that would be spending that much on a refurb.

Or have I got that arseways?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Any idea why it was called the Temple? Was the Temple the grounds of Kings Inn? The cul-de-sac in behind Kings Inn is Temple Cottages, I assume it's related to what you called the Temple?
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I think the garden/park around the King's Inns was called 'The Temple Gardens' but I don't know why exactly.

Perhaps "Temple Gardens" in Dublin is some mimetic representation of the Inner Temple and Middle Temple in London and specifically an Irish version of the Inner & Middle Temple Gardens there?

"The 'Temple' in the name Temple Gardens comes, via the Knight's Templar, from the Temple Mount in Jerusalem. When their order was dissolved the site passed to the the Knights Hospitaller and then, in 1608, to the barristers. It remains the HQ of the legal profession and they have done a very good job in conserving its character. Walking down a narrow alley from Fleet Street into the Temple gives a real sense of passing from Medieval London to Eighteenth Century London, still pleasantly free of vehicular traffic. The grand terrace houses, now barristers' chambers, have an eighteenth century character. The garden spaces are managed like eighteenth century garden squares..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

So in affect the state pays for the refurbishment of my palatial pad that just so happens to be of some historical value?
    Obivously id need a 250K salary or more to get full advantage of said tax credit, but only someone with a salary like that would be spending that much on a refurb.

Well if you were doing a modest refurbishment on your family home of say 5k to I think 70K. You can claim 13.5% back in income tax credits anyway

This tax break that the other poster mentioned, I imagine will be a flop. Living over the shop scheme wasnt really popular at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

That's my understanding of it.

I know we're talking about Henrietta Street but the scheme goes a lot wider. Mates of mine missed out by only a few hundred metres from being in the scheme and they live off the South Circular Road, would've been very handy for them as they're doing a big refurbishment at the moment.

You have to remember that you're not getting it for free, there's the financing costs at the start or just a big cash injection that the benefits of will be recovered over 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

Unfortunately, it is not a "tax credit". It is a "deduction from total income". See page 6, "4. How Does It Work", first paragraph.

If it were a tax credit it would reduce your tax liability for each year in the way you mention - e.g:

Taxable Income €250,000 @ 40% = €100,000 tax payable less €100,000 LC credit = € 0 tax payable

However, as it is a deduction from total income, you simply take the relevant deduction off your taxable income before subjecting it to tax. e.g.

Taxable Income €250,000
    less deduction €100,000
    net taxable €150,000 @ 40% = 60,000 tax payable

So, on an income of €250k you were due to pay €100k in tax. When you claim a Living City deduction of €100,000 your tax bill reduces from €100k to €60k. (saving you €40,000 per year)

I'm oversimplifying it as there are obviously 20% rates to take into account. But, in short, you get relief at your top rate of tax in each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Well if you were doing a modest refurbishment on your family home of say 5k to I think 70K. You can claim 13.5% back in income tax credits anyway

This tax break that the other poster mentioned, I imagine will be a flop. Living over the shop scheme wasnt really popular at all

Wasn't there big insurance problems with those units? I'm pretty sure even now insurance premiums for flats over shops are very high due to the potential for water leaks etc. in old buildings.

mydarkstar wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it is not a "tax credit". It is a "deduction from total income". See page 6, "4. How Does It Work", first paragraph.

If it were a tax credit it would reduce your tax liability for each year in the way you mention - e.g:

Taxable Income €250,000 @ 40% = €100,000 tax payable less €100,000 LC credit = € 0 tax payable

However, as it is a deduction from total income, you simply take the relevant deduction off your taxable income before subjecting it to tax. e.g.

Taxable Income €250,000
    less deduction €100,000
    net taxable €150,000 @ 40% = 60,000 tax payable

So, on an income of €250k you were due to pay €100k in tax. When you claim a Living City deduction of €100,000 your tax bill reduces from €100k to €60k. (saving you €40,000 per year)

I'm oversimplifying it as there are obviously 20% rates to take into account. But, in short, you get relief at your top rate of tax in each year.

Cheers for the clear up, New it was too good to be true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

It's an old run down Georgian street. What's the big deal? Even if it was done up its still in the middle of a kip of an area.

The incentive is still fairly good; just not perfect! I'd love to see the street done up properly. I know people say it's not in a great neighbourhood with Dorset Street and Dominic, but neither is North Great Georges Street and that street is looking good these days - a far cry from 20/30 years ago.

I must go for a wander around Henrietta Street soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

nothing wrong with dominick street, particularly they upper part

It's an old run down Georgian street. What's the big deal? Even if it was done up its still in the middle of a kip of an area.

It's the oldest Georgian street in Dublin that's been left untouched by modern development. You walk down it and it's like walking into something from 150 years ago.
    What's not to like?

nothing wrong with dominick street, particularly they upper part

I never said there was anything "wrong" with Dominick Street. Just that it is not a "great" neighbourhood, as it has all the issues that you would expect of inner city Dublin - people being drunk/high in public and general antisocial behaviour. I live in this area, I see this a lot. It also has all the conveniences of living in the inner city. All my original post meant was it doesn't have the leafy kerb appeal of parts of Ballsbridge or Rathgar.

issues of?

please explain more.thanks

issues of?

please explain more.thanks

Edited my original post. Posted accidentally before finished.

I lived on upper dominick street for years.I found the residents in general were nice enough but did get a few drunks etc walking through.

anyway, I used to like going into the law society park area then walking down henrietta street that way. Some nice houses in the park too which are done up and people living in there too.

I must go for a walk in the law society park soon, possibly over the weekend (weather permitting). This thread has whetted my appetite for a wander. I like the area in general - as you say the locals in general are grand, it's the passing-through drunks and idiots that have made me weary over the years.

Does anyone think that the area around Henrietta Street might be more likely to be regenerated given that the new Luas to Grangegorman will be passing nearby?
    Am I just being unrealistic??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I thought I read something about DCC taking over one of those magnificent (though faded) houses for a museum of social history of the time?

Anyone know more?

Spanisheyes, there was an article in the Irish Times in April 2015 about the plan to open No.14 Henrietta Street as a museum.
    It says DCC hope to open it by late 2016. See the video within this link.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/museum-of-dublin-tenement-life-set-for-henrietta-street-1.2194311

It's wonderful and sad to see inside the house in it's current state.

I'm in two minds about part of what the guy in the video says - that they don't want to restore the whole house to Georgian splendour as that would be saying that is the only period worth honouring. I appreciate they want to show all the stages of life the building has seen, including the tenement period. This makes sense given that it is to be a museum. But I just so love these houses when sympathetically restored. A museum is a wonderful use for the property though.

Hard to imagine all the people that passed through that front door, and yet only the people from the early days are properly remembered.

I came across this thread by chance...
    My Mother was born in Henrietta street on 29 February 1932 ( yes a real leap year baby)

Apparently it was snowing the night she was born. As was the custom she was born at home and her father stood outside the door all night in the snow, as men seemingly weren't supposed to be around at a childbirth.

I don't know which number and sadly my Mum now has dementia so wouldn't remember.
    I am looking forward to the census records from the later years going online so I can trace more details. I know the family (she was one of 11 ) moved to Crumlin when she was very young.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Bookerlover:

You can go to the Births and Deaths Registry Office and get a copy of her birth cert, it may show the exact address. If your mother can't go there is another form you can fill out to get it. Ring them up and they'll tell you what to do. I used them before and they are very helpful.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/registrar_birth_marr_death.html

Also go to the local church, they should have her baptisimal cert which may show the exact address. If not they will tell you where the archive is.

You'll be waiting till 2032 for the census results, even then, they may not be 100% accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Earliest extant style of its kind in Dublin.

It is Georgian in style yet not a square, it is an interesting remainder.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

It's unusual enough for a house to come up for sale on Henrietta Street but there is one now on myhome for €850,000, but in need of complete refurbishment. It was built between 1739 and 1743, has 9 bedrooms today and is 763 m².

7 Henrietta Street

There was an informative video about this exact house posted on YouTube back in April 2013. There were 19 families, or 104 people, and a piggery in No. 7 as recently as 1911:

Advertisement