Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind Turbine at home!

Options
  • 19-10-2015 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

I am considering having a wind turbine installed at my home to help reduce our electricity bills. I don't know a whole pile about these things. From my limited knowledge, I would be looking at a 1KW or 2KW Wind Turbine.

Does anyone know how much (roughly) they cost or if they are worth the investment? If anyone can recommend what I should go for I wouldwelcome any advice? Living in Co Galway with a 2300sq.ft house if this helps!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Something like this https://en.istabreeze.store/Products/wind-generator-istabreeze%C2%AE-heli-2-0 will generate .5 to 1.5 kw in 5-13m/s winds

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

the planning exemption requirements for turbines in a domestic setting are very restrictive.

Turbine must not be attached to a building.

One turbine per house and it can not be sited in front of the building.

Total height must not exceed 13m.

Rotor diameter must not exceed 6m.

3m minimum clearance between ground and lowest point of blades.

Turbine mast must be the total maximum height of the assembly including turbine and blades plus one metre from the nearest party boundary.

Noise levels must not exceed 43db(A) or 5 db(A) above background noise at the nearest inhabited neighbouring dwelling.

No advertising can be placed on the turbine and the turbine must be matt finished.

The blades must not interfere with telecoms signals. 

This thread might be worth a read (note Groucho's comment and link!)

Advertisement