Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saorview reception in West Dublin

• 20-10-2015 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, anyone else having issues with the saorview reception around West Dublin (im in lucan next to weston airport) last week or 2 It keeps dropping out, only stable channel seems to be rte1 the others are very unreliable coming and going alot,

I use a indoor areal so not wind or anything, (have been using a year with no issues till recently) ..

Have tried moving the arieal and retuned TV about 600times now, each time the TV finds the channel and can "see"whats on in guide but then theres no signal.

Also is there a way to get the UK freeview channels in dublin? At my home in Boyle Co roscommon saorview gets all Irish channels allong with all the BBC channel 4 dave quest and several other channels, would be nice to get here too,
    Always assumed it was because roscommon was covered by a transmitter in the north or something but looked it up and says roscommon gets the turksmore transmiter in North sligo,? And Dublin is around the same distance from the border as roscommon so id imagine any spill over from Northern transmitters would be same???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The problem could be a combination of a weak received Saorview signal with the indoor aerial and tropo interference because of the high pressure weather we're having, long distance co-channel interference with a weak Saorview signal.

http://www.a516digital.com/2014/03/atmospheric-conditions-lead-to-tv-and.html

A properly installed outdoor aerial can help to reduce or eliminate the effect. It is recommended not to retune when this happens.

GOGRAHAM wrote: »
    Also is there a way to get the UK freeview channels in dublin? At my home in Boyle Co roscommon saorview gets all Irish channels allong with all the BBC channel 4 dave quest and several other channels, would be nice to get here too,
    Always assumed it was because roscommon was covered by a transmitter in the north or something but looked it up and says roscommon gets the turksmore transmiter in North sligo,? And Dublin is around the same distance from the border as roscommon so id imagine any spill over from Northern transmitters would be same???

Less overspill in Dublin, best recommendation would be a satellite dish and Freesat receiver for the UK channels.

Overspill reception via the aerial could be much reduced in coming years as more UHF spectrum is sold off for mobile network use
    Replanning to clear TV from the channels 49-60 is currently underway in conjunction with the UK. It is expected that TV services will clear the channels 49-60 by about 2021, creating a second digital dividend. Associated with that will be much tighter reuse of frequency channels. In these circumstances reception of TV services outside their core service area cannot be guaranteed. Thus people may find that where they are or have been receiving UK TV signals from Northern Ireland or Wales they may not longer be able to do so as the frequencies may be used by neighbouring area Irish TV transmissions.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/communications/en-ie/spectrum/Pages/DTT-Spectrum.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GOGRAHAM

That makes sense thanks for info,
    Regarding the outdoor aerial, its a rented house so not really an option, might get a better indoor aerial and see if it makes a difference.

If possible try an outdoor aerial in the attic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    I find I get bad picture breakup on RTE1 (Ch 55 Mux2 from Maghera in Clare) due to phone chargers/power blocks in electrical sockets near the TV or set top box. As soon these are unplugged - perfect picture. I spent an age messing with the aerial and connections before I realised what the problem was.

Did you move or plug anything new in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

GOGRAHAM wrote: »
    That makes sense thanks for info,
    Regarding the outdoor aerial, its a rented house so not really an option, might get a better indoor aerial and see if it makes a difference.

Why can't you have an outdoor aerial on a rented house? Have you asked your landlord? He may even supply one for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Have the same issue in Lucan. Was particularly bad last night, thought it was my box/dish. Is there particularly high pressure at the moment?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Have the same issue in Lucan. Was particularly bad last night, thought it was my box/dish. Is there particularly high pressure at the moment?

See post here. Affects reception via an aerial not a dish.

Advertisement