Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 cent coins

Options
  • 20-10-2015 6:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I could get my hands on about €250.00 worth of 2c copper coins in or around Galway city?? Charities maybe? Have to be only the 2c coins, not 1 or 5c. I'll obviously convert the coins into paper money once they are bagged. I'll go to the Bank and order them if needs be but I'll try any alternative methods beforehand.

Big shops like Tesco etc don't like giving out their coins as it costs money to order them from the Bank. So they generally hold onto their change or the money they get out of those coin counting machines.

I'm installing a Penny Floor (google it) and need a lot of coins! (about 19,000)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

you could try the cathedrial or any of the local churches after sundays, would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Put an ad in local paper, there's plenty of people with that amount in jars and bottles.

I thought you were going to pay some sort of fine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Go to a bank and buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Looks cool. Don't forget 1 and 2 cent coins are being discontinued in Ireland from next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

That looks brilliant. You better hurry up about getting them though as they are stopping using them from the end of this month.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

paconnors wrote: »
    you could try the cathedrial or any of the local churches after sundays, would be your best bet.

Never thought of that. I'll give them a call and see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

That looks brilliant. You better hurry up about getting them though as they are stopping using them from the end of this month.....

They remain legal tender and will be in use for a long time. They are no longer being minted and circulated by the Central Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

If they're getting rid of them next week, Supermarkets might be happy to exchange them for notes. Does Seapoint amusements use 2c coins anymore? They may be able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

If you were to go with 1c coins your floor would actually be subsidised by the tax payer (1c coins cost 1.65 cent to mint). :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

J o e wrote: »
    If you were to go with 1c coins your floor would actually be subsidised by the tax payer (1c coins cost 1.65 cent to mint). :P

Damn you J o e with your , screwing over the taxpayer brainfarts!

• Advertisement

Ha! If I could get the taxpayer to lay a few of the (19,000) coins for me too I'd be laughing.

Would you believe, it would actually work out more expensive if I had used 1c coins. They are smaller and its takes more of them to fill a Square Foot of floor spare than the 2c coins. Over the entire floor space I'm filling it would have cost well over a hundred quid more with them, plus it would have been a few thousand more coins to lay....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Would you believe, it would actually work out more expensive if I had used 1c coins. They are smaller and its takes more of them to fill a Square Foot of floor spare than the 2c coins.

I'm struggling to believe... It would take more coins alright but 2c coins have a 33% greater face area than 1c coins but costs 100% more... :confused:

I'm struggling to believe... It would take more coins alright but 2c coins have a 33% greater face area than 1c coins but costs 100% more... :confused:

You are right! Getting my wires crossed very badly...

Takes 264 -2 cent coins for a sq.ft. and 370 -1 cent coins.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Cheaper supplies, but more labour.

I'm interested in this. What square footage are you covering? Are you filling it with polyurethane resin?

I have a bathroom with tiles I hate, and these penny floors look lush.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Delicia

This does sound good - keep us updated as I'd love to see how this turns out! Actually now would be a good time to approach retailers to buy their 2c coins. As they won't be using them from next week on they will be lodging them to the bank anyway & may be glad if you save them the hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Delicia wrote: »
    This does sound good - keep us updated as I'd love to see how this turns out! Actually now would be a good time to approach retailers to buy their 2c coins. As they won't be using them from next week on they will be lodging them to the bank anyway & may be glad if you save them the hassle?

they are still legal tender of course they will be using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Delicia

they are still legal tender of course they will be using them.

Not to the same extent if the shops are now going to be rounding off purchases to 5c. They continue as legal tender but there use will be decreased.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Delicia wrote: »
    Not to the same extent if the shops are now going to be rounding off purchases to 5c. They continue as legal tender but there use will be decreased.

Not all retailers have signed up for it as of yet.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Cheaper supplies, but more labour.

I'm interested in this. What square footage are you covering? Are you filling it with polyurethane resin?

I have a bathroom with tiles I hate, and these penny floors look lush.

Don't know how cleanly tiles would come up for you. Depends on the adhesive used the person taking them up. I have a new floor to use as we bought a house last year and gutted it. Just getting through the painting / tiling stages now and a penny floor was always in the back of my mind for this. Seen them years ago, on Pinterest I think it was.

Anyways we are covering approx 70 sq feet of floor space. Will place the coins with a small dab of glue first of all. Once the floor is covered I will cover the coins with a clear resin and let that set. Job done!

Myself and the missus have various foreign coins collected from holidays over the years in a jar. I'm going to dot these randomly acorss the floor too in among the 2c coins. To be honest it will probably be the end of the year before this is finished. I have too much on with all the other house stuff to lash into this straight away plus I havn't enough coins just yet. I'll definitely put up some pics of the finished job when done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

OP there's a paragraph in the advertiser this week about a charity collecting 1 and 2c pieces for charity this week (sorry don't have it in front of me).
    Perfect opportunity! Go to where they are and swap the coins for paper money (and throw in a few bob extra if you can afford it!) :D

• Advertisement

So this took waaaay longer than I thought it would. Firstly collecting €400 worth of just 2c coins was a royal pain in the a$$. I got to about €300 worth and got stuck for ages, until we discovered that BOI have a coins centre in Galway and all we had to do was rock up there with a wad of cash and they exchanged it for coins. Problem solved!

As for the floor, its approx 70sq ft and took around a week to lay the coins. I was doing a couple of hours after work in the evenings. The floor was covered with a double sided tape and I peeled back the white cover and stuck the coins to this. Once the floor was covered I sourced a brown coloured grout (not as easy as you would think) to fill in the small gaps between the coins. Let all of that settle and then covered the floor with a clear liquid resin that when set, goes rock hard. So below is the almost finished results. Still need to do a bit of tidying up and will probably add another coat of two of the clear resin.

All in it cost approx 550-600 quid to do and I dunno, maybe 20-25 hours between sticking, grouting and the resin cover.

zjuv0z.jpg

11txu8w.jpg

2ile9fn.jpg

2m7w9s1.jpg

28l3p6g.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Amazing work, fair play.

Did you follow a pattern in laying the coins (facing up / down, group by country) or just lash then down

Amazing work, fair play.

Did you follow a pattern in laying the coins (facing up / down, group by country) or just lash then down

No pattern for me. I've seen some fancy patterns on Google alright but I have neither the time nor skills to do them!

No I just opened a bag of coins, grabbed a fistfull and started sticking. Didn't bother with them being face up or down, stained, discoloured or otherwise.

99% of them are 2c coins. But mixed through are the odd American 1c coin (basically the same thing, size, weight etc) and I dotted a few odder coins here and there too. Old Irish pence and shilling coins as well as the odd English coin and various others from all over the world we collected on holidays down the years. Only problem with that is that you need to cut/adjust the surrounding 2c coins to accomodate the larger odd sized coins. Only for that I'd have had a lot more foreign coins included.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

That's well impressive! Well done!
    Curious- any coin-smell from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

can i ask what brand and type resin you used. it looks realy good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Great job Fozzie Bear.
    Your diligence and hard work is to be commended!
    Do you know what weight it is per sq foot?
    Does it compare roughly with a standard floor tile of that size do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

That's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Fair play. Looks fantastic

That's well impressive! Well done!
    Curious- any coin-smell from it?

No, no smells or other nasty surprises. I had the coins left exposed for about a week while I sourced the grout. Coins got wet etc but No problems and it was fine to walk on bare foot too without the resin top coat.
    nick 56 wrote: »
    can i ask what brand and type resin you used. it looks realy good.

Found them while searching on Ebay (Sales@futureresins.co.uk). Cost £22.50+vat for 4,5kg of resin. That covered the 70sqft easily but it needed two coats so double that. I just sent them an e-mail with the floor area and application and they did the rest for me. All you need is a good quality paint roller to apply it. Resin is self levelling after that and partly sets in 6 hours and fully in 12-18 hours.
    Do you know what weight it is per sq foot?
    Does it compare roughly with a standard floor tile of that size do you know?

Not sure of the exact weight but I'd think its less or close enough to equal weight with bare tiles. There is no tile adhesive required though so thats a considerable saving in weight. I was able to carry all the coins in one box upstairs to the floor. I doubt I'd have been able do that with equivilant boxes of tiles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Finally. Somebody finds a use for 2c coins.

Wait till Brexit hits. You can do the driveway in sterling for a fraction of the cost of the jacks!

Advertisement