Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 cent coins

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Any spare change lying around??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Still have a colossal amount of 1 and 2 cent coins.
    Wish i had seen this sooner.

But now do 1 with lego's

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

So this took waaaay longer than I thought it would.
    At last, somewhere 2p!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

robindch wrote: »
    At last, somewhere 2p!

2p or not 2p, that was the question for a long time.

Thanks for your tuppence worth btw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That looks outstanding!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Fair play Fozzie - that looks fantastic

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That's incredible, Fozzie Bear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Well done looks really cool

That's a fierce fancy jacks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭tom_k

Seriously that's a great job! And you've literally added value to your home :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

All this so you can say you are "$h1tting in the Cash"

If you did the Utility Room you could be charged with Money Laundering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Looks brilliant! Fair play.

Can I ask how did you put in the brown grout without getting any on the coins?

CabanSail wrote: »
    All this so you can say you are "$h1tting in the Cash"

If you did the Utility Room you could be charged with Money Laundering.

2zidmac.jpg
    Looks brilliant! Fair play.

Can I ask how did you put in the brown grout without getting any on the coins?

Don't know if you have grouted tiles before or seen it done? Its much the same, spread the grout over the area of floor you are doing and then use a grout trowel/float to work the grout between the coins. Once done get a bucket of water and a sponge and wash off the excess grout. Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

"Fozzie wrote:
    Don't know if you have grouted tiles before or seen it done? Its much the same, spread the grout over the area of floor you are doing and then use a grout trowel/float to work the grout between the coins. Once done get a bucket of water and a sponge and wash off the excess grout. Simples!

Yup, have seen it done - never done it myself. The reason I was wondering here is that I thought you'd have problems with all the designs on the coins trapping it and not being smooth enough to wash off.

Looks great.

Yup, have seen it done - never done it myself. The reason I was wondering here is that I thought you'd have problems with all the designs on the coins trapping it and not being smooth enough to wash off.

Looks great.

No twas grand, no issues with trapped grout etc. Once you wash it off reasonably quickly while the grout is still damp its not a problem.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

That looks deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Personally I would have have used 2 Euro coins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

I'm interested now , just out of curiosity how many metres squared did the 19000 coins do ?

Got it . I bothered to read the thread :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I'm interested now , just out of curiosity how many metres squared did the 19000 coins do ?

Do you not know how to scroll back throught the thread or click on the page buttons?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

magentis wrote: »
    Do you not know how to scroll back throught the thread or click on the page buttons?

:D

• Advertisement

I went with the 2c coin for cost and quantity reasons. Far cheaper than the 5c but less coins per sqft to stick down than the 1c coin.

It worked out at approx 265 of the 2c coins per square foot (€5.30).

For the 5c is would have been 210 /sqft (€10.50 ) and the 1c was 370/sqft (€3.70).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The floor was covered with a double sided tape and I peeled back the white cover and stuck the coins to this.

Can you link to the tape you used? Thanks.

Can you link to the tape you used? Thanks.

I can't actually because I was able get it from work. We use 1200mm rolls of the stuff and I was able to use the very end of one of those rolls and loads off cuts for my floor.

If its any help its made by 3M and the specific part number is 9448A. I think it comes in loads of various sizes, rolls, patches etc etc.

I would imagine any type of double sided tape would do the job. Its basically just there to hold the coins in place until grout and clear coat are applied. If you could source a slow setting paste or adhesive it would do the exact same job too. Just spread it out and then place the coins down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I can't actually because I was able get it from work. We use 1200mm rolls of the stuff and I was able to use the very end of one of those rolls and loads off cuts for my floor.

If its any help its made by 3M and the specific part number is 9448A. I think it comes in loads of various sizes, rolls, patches etc etc.

I would imagine any type of double sided tape would do the job. Its basically just there to hold the coins in place until grout and clear coat are applied. If you could source a slow setting paste or adhesive it would do the exact same job too. Just spread it out and then place the coins down.

Thanks ..... I didn't find the specific tape but a spread glue should do the job just as well.

Very nice effect on your floor ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Thanks ..... I didn't find the specific tape but a spread glue should do the job just as well.

Very nice effect on your floor ;)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Double-Coated-Tissue-4Â-Ã55Yds-ninepeak/dp/B01IQF3DLS/
    Cheaper here
    https://www.amazon.com/9448A-Double-Coated-Tissue-×55Yds/dp/B01CZGLJ4C

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Ya I seen that and loads of other designs people came up with too. I had neither the time nor skills for that. Would have possibly involved washing some coins to get the "new" look too. Who wants to wash a load of pennies?

Looks absolutely amazing to be fair and I see she glued each individual coin down too with a dab of glue. 13,000 dabs of glue....

Holy sh1t balls though, how OCD was that lady? Never mind just the pattern but she has all the individual coins sorted with faces up/down and aligned in the same direction too.

Ain't nobody got time for that....

Advertisement