Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

200 high power vehicles for Garda

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

foreign wrote: »
    The purchase of the Hyundai's and the Avensis before it was based on the lowest purchase price rather than the long term value. Look at he well the 07 Fords lasted compared to the Toyota's?
    There's still a 02 Avensis and ** Corolla in Pearse st , they mightn't be as 'tight' as the Fords but if they're properly maintained they'll last for years

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Capri wrote: »
    There's still a 02 Avensis and ** Corolla in Pearse st , they mightn't be as 'tight' as the Fords but if they're properly maintained they'll last for years

Difference is them cars are not doing big mileage and not on rapid response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

toyota's of that era are much stronger then the crap on sale now. The old corolla and avensis would easily outlast the 2011 stuff.

Both unmarked and not response vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Can't remember the last time I saw an 11 Avensis. There's also 01 Mondeo that I see quite often on patrol around my area.

• Advertisement

Can't remember the last time I saw an 11 Avensis. There's also 01 Mondeo that I see quite often on patrol around my area.

I don't believe any 2011 avensis are left? I have not seen one in a long time. They were badly needed at the time so they must have been driven into the ground very quickly.

As for the Mondeo, That shape mondeo is becoming very rare now. I can't imagine many of them left at this stage.. Great cars though.. They bought 100's of them back in the day :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Saw a 2011 Avensis which had been stripped of its decals and light bar but still had bumper lights front,side and rear.

They even left the cable gland sticking out of roof for original set up.

They really didn't last long at all unless maybe in some areas they were moved off to others.

Funny to still see 98,99,00 etc still motoring around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

carzony wrote: »
    As for the Mondeo, That shape mondeo is becoming very rare now. I can't imagine many of them left at this stage.. Great cars though.. They bought 100's of them back in the day :D:D

Great cars they are indeed but there not all that quick nor are they the most economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

I don't believe any 2011 avensis are left? I have not seen one in a long time. They were badly needed at the time so they must have been driven into the ground very quickly.

In 2011 the avenais where a first frontline large purchase since 06/07, as there was need for about 500 cars then but only 212 purchased units barely one car.
    example traffic unit which had 3 mondeo And uyleses got one replacement for two grounded cars or 3, meaning mileage was put lot faster into to
    Them

There's still marked mondeo on
    Traffic in castle

Cork traffic got 2011 avenais estate last year in swap for i40 estate, they a lot have compol avenais 2011 facelift model

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Don't Anglesea St traffic Corp have a recently purchased marked up Mondeo? They also have a 07 unmarked one, I can only imagine the milage up on it unless it was previously a branch car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Those Avensis were all silver weren't they? Shame that the silver theme never took off.

flazio wrote: »
    Those Avensis were all silver weren't they? Shame that the silver theme never took off.

So many rumours on that colour issue in 2012

kub wrote: »
    Don't Anglesea St traffic Corp have a recently purchased marked up Mondeo? They also have a 07 unmarked one, I can only imagine the milage up on it unless it was previously a branch car.

Marked up mondeo on traffic? They don't buy used cars for stations it's redeployed resource if the one I'm thinking its late 2007 style, it's stationed in sub station in North cork, could be redeployed now but last time I saw it was in North cork village

That unmarked mondeo is on traffic it's ex college car so would t be much on it but it's resource for them

I did like the look at those avensis but apparently they were very unpopular amongst Gardaí!

I did like the look at those avensis but apparently they were very unpopular amongst Gardaí!

Brakes, clutches and gear boxes

Nothing's better than mondeo

Saw a 2011 Avensis which had been stripped of its decals and light bar but still had bumper lights front,side and rear.

They even left the cable gland sticking out of roof for original set up.

They really didn't last long at all unless maybe in some areas they were moved off to others.

Funny to still see 98,99,00 etc still motoring around.

Still a few knocking about. There is even one or two 07 models!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭BannerBarry

The Boy Racers around Clare will all now want to join the Guards... Its reopening the stations they closed in rural locations that they really need to address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

D Trent wrote: »
    'A lot less to Operation Thor than meets the eye'

Under pressure as a storm whips up around rural crime ahead of the general election, Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald has done her best to look busy in recent months.

The public relations effort has become an onslaught. But scratch at the surface and there is a lot less to her plans than meets the eye........

....Divided between the 28 Garda divisions across the State over six months, just under €27,800 will be available to each division each month under a budget of €5 million. It doesn’t sound like much when you break it down, especially for such a major simultaneous “crackdown” on both rural and organised crime.

When one considers spending on overtime in the Dublin area can reach €2 million per month, Operation Thor’s new contribution is put in perspective. ......

...There would be “extra high-visibility patrols” in “burglary hot spots”. More “checkpoints to take the criminal gangs” would be erected on main roads and gardaí would have “high-powered cars” to chase the bad guys.

Efforts, as yet unspecified, would be made to “disrupt” the stolen goods market. And “programmes” – again, unspecified – would “reduce reoffending by prolific” criminals.

Further measures, also about which no detail was offered, included “enhanced supports” for victims, crime prevention advice for communities, and the nationwide crime prevention awareness campaign.

Anyone playing criminal justice buzzword bingo would have been in their element. But those looking for specifics would have been left less satisfied.

The fact that Garda Commissioner Nóirín O’Sullivan was used again as an electioneering prop for Fine Gael was perhaps the lowest point of the day.
    Photo opportunity
    Last week, she was wheeled out by Fitzgerald to point at a poster for the TV cameras in Athlone “revealing” the locations of mooted new Garda stations and refurbishment projects for other facilities set to take place after the current Government has left office.

She, along with colleague Deputy Commissioner John Twomey were on Monday left with no option but to go out in the media and unveil a radical new assault on policing that is in reality – and at very (very) best – a modest bump in overtime and a few new cars to prop up the current depleted fleet of spluttering bangers.

The promised increase in Garda objections to bail for prolific burglars was greeted with bemusement by members of the force objecting to bail daily in the courts.

They are roundly, and rightly, ignored by judges with no option but to grant bail. The judiciary does so in the knowledge the suspects’ trials may take years to come to court.

If this was Africa the army and police would have staged a coup d'etat and chucked 'Inda' and co. into Mountjoy :cool:

Isle of Man policing :cool:

http://www.pistonheads.com/features/ph-features/sergeant-allan-thomson-ph-meets/33236

Focus ST estate :cool: and covert bikes

• Advertisement
Advertisement