Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Tallaght coin counter?

Options
  • 20-10-2015 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Is there still a "coin counter" machine in the Tesco in Tallaght?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just so you know the coin counters in tesco always take a commission of about 9%-10%. The wording is misleading and many seem to think if you take a tesco voucher that it has no commission but it does, many have fallen for this. It also takes advantage of peoples presumptions/logic, thinking "why the hell would anyone not take cash, therefore there must be an advantage to taking the voucher".

I have heard people delighted to get €500+ back and going on about it paying for a holiday or something, but this meant they have just paid about €50 for 2mins use of a machine that costs a few grand, pretty poor value. Imagine an arcade machine costing a lot more trying to charge €50 for a go

I think some bank may now has a coin counter for free in some branches. Its crazy that the central bank do not have rakes of them, far cheaper than minting new coins to replace hoarded ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭listermint

rubadub wrote: »
    Just so you know the coin counters in tesco always take a commission of about 9%-10%. The wording is misleading and many seem to think if you take a tesco voucher that it has no commission but it does, many have fallen for this. It also takes advantage of peoples presumptions/logic, thinking "why the hell would anyone not take cash, therefore there must be an advantage to taking the voucher".

I have heard people delighted to get €500+ back and going on about it paying for a holiday or something, but this meant they have just paid about €50 for 2mins use of a machine that costs a few grand, pretty poor value. Imagine an arcade machine costing a lot more trying to charge €50 for a go

I think some bank may now has a coin counter for free in some branches. Its crazy that the central bank do not have rakes of them, far cheaper than minting new coins to replace hoarded ones.

tbh, local banks dont take bagged coins any longer. there are the odd few branches that have coin counters i think perhaps baggot street had one.

This is a service that is offered the machines have to be maintained. If someone is happy to poor a bag in so that is counts it all up and they dont have to travel to baggot street OR spend an hour of their own time counting and bagging then so be it.

Personally i think its handy, so the value would not bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm happy to pay that 9% to save me the effort of counting, bagging and hauling those bags to a bank. My time is worth more.

Oh and OP its still there fyi.

I grab a fistful of coins going to tesco when its not busy. I put them into the self service funnel thing for coins. You can pay the balance by credit card. So I am not paying any commission.

In the 80s you got free donuts and burgers in superquinn and mcdonalds if you brought in £5 in coppers. Banks charge some retailers more for coins than their monetary value. So in my mind they should be paying me a commssion, but I would not expect anything as outrageous as 9-10%, which is just crazy.

The ones in tesco are third party, but tesco must be raking it in too. Some smart supermarket should offer one for free and give you shop vouchers with no commission.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    I grab a fistful of coins going to tesco when its not busy. I put them into the self service funnel thing for coins. You can pay the balance by credit card. So I am not paying any commission.

In the 80s you got free donuts and burgers in superquinn and mcdonalds if you brought in £5 in coppers. Banks charge some retailers more for coins than their monetary value. So in my mind they should be paying me a commssion, but I would not expect anything as outrageous as 9-10%, which is just crazy.

The ones in tesco are third party, but tesco must be raking it in too. Some smart supermarket should offer one for free and give you shop vouchers with no commission.

They are 3rd party, I dont understand your assertion that Tesco are racking it in too. The third party owns maintains and operates the machines. Tesco would see very little of the return similar to a vending machine.

As i said people are happy to pay for the service, as others have stated my time is more valuable. grabbing a load of coins for self service is something i couldnt be bothered doing.

People pay for service in all walks of life, this is just one. If its not for you fair enough. Its not for everyone.

listermint wrote: »
    They are 3rd party, I dont understand your assertion that Tesco are racking it in too.
    They would be mad if they are not getting a substantial cut of that profit, so just presumed they are not idiots.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/cashing-in-spare-change-26516031.html
    PUBLISHED
    22/02/2009

Over the last three months, 97,800 people used Change Depot's coin machines, compared to 49,700 last year. Since last July, Coin Depot has taken over €1.5m through machines in Dunnes Stores.
    listermint wrote: »
    If its not for you fair enough. Its not for everyone.
    Fair enough, I was offering an alternative and saying it may be free elsewhere. But my main warning/point was that they do take a commission, incase the OP thought it was commission free to take a voucher like many other posters have in the past. One poster got his commssion refunded by coinstar after complaining.

Advertisement