Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE 'revamping' the Angelus slot

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 205 ✭✭Datallus

Kev W wrote: »
    You have every right to do that, bizarre and meaningless as it is.

Bizarre and meaningless? Or insightful and responsible?

The cultural vandals who are pushing their agenda of nescience have supped the foul and false elixir of secularism from the trough of Lucifer, which has blinded them to the splendour of creation.

Just because they can't understand it they wish to rob society of the balm of knowing transcendence. For shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Datallus wrote: »

The cultural vandals who are pushing their agenda of nescience have supped the foul and false elixir of secularism from the trough of Lucifer, which has blinded them to the splendour of creation.

Just because they can't understand it they wish to rob society of the balm of knowing transcendence. For shame.

Ah. Sorry. I should have just said mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

What's wrong with Secularism? And what are it's connections to the Morning Star (Lucifer).

And why should a State support one religion? Simply because many of it's people do? If people believe in that Faith, they will follow it without support of the government. Minority religions have not being harmed in this state by lack televised prayer. Catholics won't be either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

So to be a catholic you have to want a certain type of education or infrastructure.

I honestly can't figure out how you derived that from my post? I never said anything about what is 'required' by a person to self-identify as Roman Catholic. They can if they want, or they can identify as anything else they want either. I have no interest in telling them what they are or aren't or passing judgement upon them. I'm not fond of people pointing fingers at me, so I don't go out of my way to point fingers at other people and tell them they're not doing enough to qualify to be able to call themselves Roman Catholic. Their religious beliefs or none are their own business.

If however, someone goes out of their way to point fingers at me, you can be damn sure I'm going to suggest they take a look at themselves first before they assume any authority to pass judgement upon me.

It's coming across as 84% of people agree with me when I want them to except for those times it can be shown as false. Every other time we can assume it though, they consider themselves catholic so they must want catholic things, even if they don't want those other catholic things.

'Nowt queer as folk' as the saying goes. I have enough to be doing trying to live my own life, I don't have time to take time out of my life to judge other people. Great if they agree with me, pain in the hole if they don't, but I don't make that their problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭ablelocks

maybe it's been suggested already, but shouldn't AH produce and submit their own video? If people submit a 5-10 second clip, and if there was someone here who could splice and dice the footage into a video, AH could have it's own 1 minute of bong, bong fame!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TomBtheGoat

I don't understand how anyone could be angry about the Angelus. Who gives a sh1t?
    How empty is your life that you need to take a minute out of someone else's life?

Some people just need to whine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

You just used the census result as an opinion poll to claim support for the Angelus. Hypocrisy at it's finest.:rolleyes:

Opinion poll is not the same as a census or a referendum.

Census is based on actual stats from the whole population, an opinion poll a view of around 1,000 people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

It's funnier considering most of those opposed to the angelus have, and will again vote for a political party which defines itself as 'Christian Democratic'

How many of those opposed to it have baptised their children I wonder. Ah shur that's different I suppose, what choice do people have? Gotta get the kids into school like. But hey, we'll vote for them Christian Democrats again anyway, who have no intention of changing anything!

The cognitive dissonance and mental gymnastics is strong in this thread.

Its funny that you think people will vote for a particular party based on religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

People really do have little to complain about don't they!
    Why did you click into the thread then and why do you keep posting?

I'd equate people who want to stop RTE broadcasting the Angelus with those people who want to stop schools teaching Shakespeare. Pagans!

Dude, you believe in this: That a cosmic jewish zombie who was his on father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

And you're calling me the pagan? :eek:
    Lets not start with who is more incorrect because face it, both sides will have strong points to make.

I would equate the angelus with institutionalised ignorance, and its removal should be celebrated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Dr.Internet

I think those most opposed are the "live and let live" crowd, you know the "right on" type that can get offended on behalf of everyone, usually because they are loud!

The rest of us either turn over or watch it
    A WHOLE minute!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Can they not have some odd eastern European cartoon to fill in the minute or a music video like they used to? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭digger58

fepper wrote: »
    So what foreigners don't like it,our country,our traditions,our religion,1 minute of the angelus a day,get a life!!

I'm not a foreigner and I don't like it. Prayer or reflection is a private matter and this exclusive Roman Catholic call to prayer has no place in a modern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Its funny that you think people will vote for a particular party based on religion.

I don't think they will, in fact I know they won't; which was my point.

For all the bellyaching about how strongly people view the subject of religion-state separation, they'll more than likely choose to ignore it completely when they go to the polls. Where are those who otherwise support FG (or any party), demanding that their plan for government includes getting rid of the angelus, removing church influence from schools etc, etc?

Better to whine about it online than actually do anything tangible to bring about change eh?

Bunch of fcuking windbags!

I don't think they will, in fact I know they won't; which was my point.

For all the bellyaching about how strongly people view the subject of religion-state separation, they'll more than likely choose to ignore it completely when they go to the polls. Where are those who otherwise support FG (or any party), demanding that their plan for government includes getting rid of the angelus, removing church influence from schools etc, etc?

Better to whine about it online than actually do anything tangible to bring about change eh?

Bunch of fcuking windbags!

Ah sorry, i misunderstood your first post.

I would think why its only discussed here is because its not worth my time discussing it anywhere else.
    It's just not worth my free time to bring this up in conversation/communication with anyone with the power to do something about it.
    "Hi, i'd like to canvas you to remove this 1 minute tv slot i find offence with" That's not likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Ah sorry, i misunderstood your first post.

I would think why its only discussed here is because its not worth my time discussing it anywhere else.
    It's just not worth my free time to bring this up in conversation/communication with anyone with the power to do something about it.
    "Hi, i'd like to canvas you to remove this 1 minute tv slot i find offence with" That's not likely.

The Angelus is just one part of it anyway though, and if truth is told it's probably not worth canvassing for really.

If what people genuinely want is a better separation of church and state, they could at least ask their local TDs what their views on morning prayers in the Dail and Seanad are, and if they'd be open to change or to bringing it up for discussion as a leader's question or whatever.

If they say they wouldn't be then surely it's an indication that they wouldn't go further than that, in supporting divestment measures of the church in education etc.

I honestly don't see why someone would support an individual or party if they opposed such things, and assuming the voter did feel as genuinely and strongly about such things. The only way anyone can change anything in a democracy is via the ballot box, and letting those we elect know where we stand on matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Shush will ye, and show a bit of bloody respect for once, you heathens..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

can they do a striptease...with a sexy lady removing an item of clothing with each chime??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Scrap it? Grand.

Update to make it a moment of reflection - non-religious? Grand.

Updated to be more inclusive and feature Islamic stuff? No dice. Not having that **** on my telly in Ireland.

• Advertisement

KungPao wrote: »
    Scrap it? Grand.

Update to make it a moment of reflection - non-religious? Grand.

Updated to be more inclusive and feature Islamic stuff? No dice. Not having that **** on my telly in Ireland.

At least you're honestly and openly speaking from a place of bigotry. I almost respect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Kev W wrote: »
    At least you're honestly and openly speaking from a place of bigotry. I almost respect that.
    I have no time for any religion. But Islam, in particular, is dangerous and their way of life doesn't mix with ours, and yes, I don't want it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

philstar wrote: »
    can they do a striptease...with a sexy lady removing an item of clothing with each chime??

Webcam in Sharon NI Bholainianiiian''s dressing room as she got ready would make some great viewing in a time of eh.. reflection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Maybe a better place to start such a crusade would be here

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/a-misc/prayer.htm

Demand that a stop be put to that. See how many elected representatives row in behind you in support

Will you be favoring the Christian Democratics (FG) btw? Seems a bit counterproductive to your cause in this particular matter if so :D

there was slight change in the Seanad when the order of business was changed to add and a silent moment of reflection http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/politics/reflective-silence-replaces-seanad-prayer-184806.html (ignore the dishonest headline)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

I wonder how many outraged by this are actually watching RTE daily at 6pm ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

RayCon wrote: »

Its nothing to do with watching it, its the fact taxes are being spent on promoting religion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

VinLieger wrote: »
    Its nothing to do with watching it, its the fact taxes are being spent on promoting religion

Are they though?

Genuine question, because I was always under the impression that RTE was funded by licence fees and advertising. Have I been wrong all this time?

Then maybe I may have a legitimate claim to suggest that RTE pull 99% of their programming and replace it with 100% religious programming, just for shìts and giggles. I don't watch much on RTE television any more (though I do like Lyric FM), but at least it'd make my licence fee (and my tax contributions) better entertainment value for money :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RayCon wrote: »
    And how many of them have PVR's or access to streaming ?

How many people watch the foreign news headlines and flick back to RTE to see which news to watch ?

VinLieger wrote: »
    Actually it's cheap compared to other prime time programming.

And as long as they cater for the major religions and Jedi and Pastafarians and Humanists and Atheists and others including those who like a pause in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I don't have a problem with the Angelus......

....as long as it is paid for for by the Catholic church and broadcast on a commercial station, e.g. TV3.

Win-win for all involved. The State broadcaster isn't pushing religion down our throats and TV3s programming is vastly improved. Nice lead in to Xposé too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Are they though?

Genuine question, because I was always under the impression that RTE was funded by licence fees and advertising. Have I been wrong all this time?

Then maybe I may have a legitimate claim to suggest that RTE pull 99% of their programming and replace it with 100% religious programming, just for shìts and giggles. I don't watch much on RTE television any more (though I do like Lyric FM), but at least it'd make my licence fee (and my tax contributions) better entertainment value for money :p

Well if you want to be technical its the license fee however its government mandated and illegal to own a tv and not pay it unless specifically exempt for certain reasons so its pretty much a tax in all but name as An Post who are Government owned are responsible for collection and enforcement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Carlo Ancelotti

The Angeles went downhill ages ago
    It was at its finest with the simple old religious iconography

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

The Angeles went downhill ages ago
    It was at its finest with the simple old religious iconography

They should throw in random bible verses aswell. The ones about stoning adulterous ladies and eating your own children for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    So, it's moving away from Catholicism to include those of different faiths or no faith? Well, that's good, I guess. If we're going to have it, might as well be inclusive. What would be wonderful is if they did away with it completely!

Great! and while we are at it, let's include the muslim call to prayer !!!

Sharia law next...

Great! and while we are at it, let's include the muslim call to prayer !!!

Sharia law next...

The slope, she is so slippery!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

It's hard to give a sh!t about this to be fair
    Despite being a secularist, I care as much about this as I did about the Presidential Age Referendum

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Why do you seem so familiar? You seem to be jealous of the so-called "Islamic State", because the Catholic version only covers a square kilometre or so. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

2 Questions

1. Why does RTE continue to refer to a catholic call to prayer as simply a 'time for reflection'?

2. Who the hell turns on the television when they want time to reflect anyway? surely that's better done in silence and certainly not to the soundtrack of BONG! BONG! BONG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Now now, the reflective focus of people 'of all faiths and none' will be enhanced by the soothing tones of the church bells.

Why do you seem so familiar?

Because they talk like Doctor Doom, maybe? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Why do you seem so familiar? You seem to be jealous of the so-called "Islamic State", because the Catholic version only covers a square kilometre or so. :pac:

Replace the D with a C...... He almost had me fooled.

Okay I get it, people love moaning. Me, you and everyone on the internet.

But seriously who here is actually genuinely offended by the Angelus? Serious question. I mean does it actually bother any of you in the slightest in real life and not just on boards and if it does can you tell me why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Okay I get it, people love moaning. Me, you and everyone on the internet.

But seriously who here is actually genuinely offended by the Angelus? Serious question. I mean does it actually bother any of you in the slightest in real life and not just on boards and if it does can you tell me why?

Offended? No.

Do I think it's a stupid relic from the past that's pandering to a dying and a soon to be completely irrelevant institution in modern day Ireland and as such shouldn't be broadcast by the national broadcaster? Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭digger58

As a person thankfully free from religion it does bother me, and many others I would suggest. Why should we have to pay a licence fee to support this blatant religious call to prayer from one particular religion! It's all or nothing in my opinion, the only solution is No religious call to prayer from any faith. The national broadcaster should not be hijacked by any particular faith, let them pay the independents stations if they want, see how popular that would be!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

I think a moment of pause and reflection each day can't be a bad thing. Perhaps if more people did it, they wouldn't be so full of bitterness and hatred.

I think a moment of pause and reflection each day can't be a bad thing. Perhaps if more people did it, they wouldn't be so full of bitterness and hatred.

Hi pot, have you met kettle?

Oh you have.

Oh.

Sorry, I...

Sorry, I had no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

They should just flash a big pair of bouncing tits for a minute at 6pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

It doesnt seem to be working for the Catholics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

ElChe32 wrote: »
    They should just flash a big pair of bouncing tits for a minute at 6pm.

Slappining off each other in slow motion at each BONG.....BONG.....BONG.

I'd reflect to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

osarusan wrote: »
    Slappining off each other in slow motion at each BONG.....BONG.....BONG.

I'd reflect to that.

We could be on to something here lad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I wonder how many people that are so concerned about what something that is one minute out of the day is costing the state broadcaster even pay the license fee?

But sure any excuse for the A+A gang to have a pop at Catholics.

• Advertisement

digger58 wrote: »
    As a person thankfully free from religion it does bother me, and many others I would suggest. Why should we have to pay a licence fee to support this blatant religious call to prayer from one particular religion! It's all or nothing in my opinion, the only solution is No religious call to prayer from any faith. The national broadcaster should not be hijacked by any particular faith, let them pay the independents stations if they want, see how popular that would be!

Why should anyone pay for a license for content they don't agree with regardless whether it's religiously aimed or not?

It's not exactly propaganda aimed at converting Jews to Catholicism. It's a few bells that go on for a minute. Still don't get why anyone is bothered by it. Don't like it, don't watch it. Simple

Advertisement