Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PowerCity -- 4K TV Repair

Options
  • 20-10-2015 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone thinks I have a leg to stand on with this issue.

So less than a year ago I bought I 49" LG 4K/3D TV from power city. I think I paid circa 1100euro but the TV was worth way more. Anywho, circumstances in life changed (7months later so well inside warranty) for me so I had to move out of my apartment I also decided to emigrate in the new year so I thought it best to give the TV to my older sister has a house warming present for her newly built house.
    All was going well until she got the TV home, her husband powered it on and shock horror there was a black ink dot in the middle of the screen. I take full responsibility for the damage as it surely happened during transit and was caused by improper packaging.
    I decided to give the TV to PowerCity to see what the cost of repair would be. After an initial 40e deposit they came back with a 780euro repair fee. I decided not to proceed as I didn't have that kind of money and I could probably buy a newer model for that price now.
    My sister collected the TV after a couple of weeks and when she took it home the damage was significantly greater. Pictures below. Does anyone know if I have comeback on this or am I completely out of pocket.

Would be a shame to leave her with this crappy TV as it was supposed to be a nice house warming present.

Cheers Skeg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I would say you've no leg to stand on.
    I've seen that kind of damage on laptop screen's and it can just get progressively worse over time. Nothing to say the cause was powercity's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭whippet

screen damage like that is like a leak .. and the damage spreads over time. Nothing to do with Power City

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Take it to a couple of TV repair shops and have it assessed. They may be able to advise if this is damage or a manufacturing defect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Damage caused by transit, as described by Op. It will get progressively worse. Don't waste your time on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Home Insurance perhaps - on completely up front terms - not suggesting anything different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

One thing I will say is a 4k screen is top quality. Don't replace it with a cheap variation in a corner shop. I would reckon between 6 and 800 to replace that size and quality panel would be accurate.

Pains me to see people with brand new iphones and 30€ ebay screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

thanks for all the replies.....looks like shes stuck with an ornamental TV :|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

sell it with the damage. If its only the display thats damaged you could prob get between 2 and 300 quid. put it towards buying another tv at least

Did powercity give you the engineers report that diagnosed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    sell it with the damage. If its only the display thats damaged you could prob get between 2 and 300 quid. put it towards buying another tv at least

Did powercity give you the engineers report that diagnosed it?

not a bad idea, but I can't imagine anyone paying that much for it.

No, they just said it needed a new screen and that they wouldn't buy it off me because there are no service usable parts :(

Advertisement