Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon Swimming - BS?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Janet Evans used the "unorthodox windmill" style of stroke. Here's an analysis of her stroke and corresponding pics of her underwater pull. ;)

http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/swim/champion/evans.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

pgibbo wrote: »
    This then begs the question is BS talking straight arm pull or recovery? :pac:

I took straight arm. Full stop. No nice bend before entry with a stretch and reach. No high elbow, snap wrist & pull. Just good old fashioned slap the water and drive on. :)

I remember reading about straight arm being more efficient for ow swimming as there is less frontal area when slicing through waver. Windmill the arms nice and high means there are no hands or forearms increasing drag in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Good god, I never thought I'd ever be referencing swim smooth (sincerest apologies interested! :o)...but, for those who are skeptical at what Mr. Sutton spouts yet think swim smooth is the gospel, here's an article to consider on the bent arm topic.

http://www.feelforthewater.com/2014/06/experimenting-with-straighter-arm.html

Looking at that straight arm clip you can see the thumb entering the water first......

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

a friend of mine started 1 to 1 lessons 6 weeks ago, the 1st thing the coach said to him after viewing his stroke was "why are you trying to use a high elbow when all your races are in open water" they started working on a straight arm and from his 1st 1000m tt 6 weeks ago to his most recent last week he has improved by over 3 mins, I am not saying it is entirely down to the straight arm but reading through the posts above it seems he might be onto something, he was swimming with a high elbow as that is what he thought was right, it may also be the placebo effect of working with a coach for the 1st time, I know I have spent the last 2 years bilateral breathing and focusing on a high elbow which has improved me from a floating brick to just about ok but I might spend a few months trying the straight arm to see what happens!!

Advertisement