Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum bedroom size

Options
  • 20-10-2015 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the minimum size a bedroom can be? I read 6.4 metres squared online but I'm not sure if that is still applicable.

I've bought a new build and I'm thinking of extending the master bedroom by decreasing a boxroom(currently 2.12m by 3.25m) but I dont want to decrease it too much and lose it as a bedroom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

quote from ,Design Standards for New Apartments
    Guidelines for Planning Authorities 2007 Ireland

Minimum bedroom floor areas/widths
    Type
    Single bedroom
    Double bedroom

Minimum width
    2.1 m
    2.8 m
    Minimum floor area
    7.1 sq m
    11.4 sq m

this may be relevant .
    i dont know if theres a minimum size for a bedroom ,
    but i would not reduce the size under 2metres width,
    in case you wish to sell the house in future .

Minimum storage space requirements
    One bedroom
    Two bedrooms
    Three or more bedrooms
    3 sq m
    6 sq m
    9 sq m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Dearg81

riclad wrote: »
    quote from ,Design Standards for New Apartments
    Guidelines for Planning Authorities 2007 Ireland

Minimum bedroom floor areas/widths
    Type
    Single bedroom
    Double bedroom

Minimum width
    2.1 m
    2.8 m
    Minimum floor area
    7.1 sq m
    11.4 sq m

this may be relevant .
    i dont know if theres a minimum size for a bedroom ,
    but i would not reduce the size under 2metres width,
    in case you wish to sell the house in future .

Minimum storage space requirements
    One bedroom
    Two bedrooms
    Three or more bedrooms
    3 sq m
    6 sq m
    9 sq m

The minimum floor space requirement above is 7.1 sq m which is already more than my boxroom which is 6.89 sq m which is worrying. I wonder does this apply to houses aswell as apartments(mine is in a house)?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Have a look at your county development plan also.

I think dublin ,cork ,etc different councils have different minimum standards ,
    those are standards for building a NEW apartment.
    I dont think you have any problem,
    say your house is ten years old.
    But i would not reduce bedroom size under 2metres ,if you intend to sell
    it in say 10 years time .
    eg some people build extensions in the attic,
    it cant be counted as an extra bedroom if room height is less than x amount ,
    10 ft approx.
    IF you dont intend to sell house ,its not a big deal.

National standards for recommended room sizes are standard accros the country.
    4 Sq. M for a bathroom.
    12.2 Sq. M for a double bedroom etc then a single room can be 6.5Sq. m once there's one double room.

Also, if you are reducing an existing house, it's really a matter of what size suits you at that time but as mentioned above be careful as if you need to sell, the small rooms may put people off.

• Advertisement

You are not building a house ,or extension , so
    the national standard does not really matter to you.
    The standard 3bed semi d has 1 or 2 large bedroom,s and maybe 1 small bedroom .
    Maybe you,ll live in that house for the rest of your life .

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

I don't think I'd reduce the box room anymore. A very small room becomes almost unusable as a bedroom unless it is as a small nursery with a cot.
    If you are stuck for space in the master bedroom would you consider using the box room as a walk-in wardrobe & remove clutter & furnishings from the master to make it feel more spacious?

Thanks for all the replies. It's a 3 bed and the boxroom will be for my 1 year old and the other double room will be for guests.

It's interesting that the national standards dont apply after the house is built but we've decided against it for now for the resale reasons listed above and also because it's probably not worth the hassle just to increase the master bedroom by 1-2 feet. We'll live in it for a while and see how it goes but the most we'll ever do is add a built in wardbrobe for storage which wouldn't decrease the boxroom by much.

Dearg81 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. It's a 3 bed and the boxroom will be for my 1 year old and the other double room will be for guests.

It's interesting that the national standards dont apply after the house is built but we've decided against it for now for the resale reasons listed above and also because it's probably not worth the hassle just to increase the master bedroom by 1-2 feet. We'll live in it for a while and see how it goes but the most we'll ever do is add a built in wardbrobe for storage which wouldn't decrease the boxroom by much.

Technically speaking they do apply. You've made an alteration that materially changes what you got planning for. Will it be enforced, highly unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

I've never understood why people leave a big room free for guests and squeeze someone who lives there permanently into a box room. Seriously, why not use the bigger room for your child (with all the associated clutter) and have just a pull out couch bed in the other room and go ahead and add some size on to the master?

• Advertisement

Turtle_ wrote: »
    I've never understood why people leave a big room free for guests and squeeze someone who lives there permanently into a box room. Seriously, why not use the bigger room for your child (with all the associated clutter) and have just a pull out couch bed in the other room and go ahead and add some size on to the master?

Well she's only a baby at the moment and we don't have much clutter. We'll give her the double room when she's older. We're also considering doing the rent a room scheme so want to keep our options open.

Advertisement