Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direction changes at bridge in Celbridge

Options
  • 20-10-2015 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

KCC Link
    The maps don't appear to be up yet but from what I can make out
    -Traffic coming from village must turn left after crossing the bridge
    -No right turn from Hazelhatch road
    -Traffic coming from Ardclough can only turn left.

A lot of traffic being diverted into housing estates, it won't suit some but will certainly suit the flow at the bridge itself.

I presume the long term solution is still another bridge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

This is an absolutely ridiculous change to make, bound to cause chaos! My daily commute is driving over the bridge from the main street and out the Hazelhatch road. Am I correct in saying that now when I will drive over the bridge from the main street that I'll be forced to turn left and drive all the way to Supervalu, stop at the lights, turn right and continue all the way around to the Hazelhatch road again to continue on my journey. This is craaaaaaaaazy and will add an extra 10 minutes at least to my journey time:mad::mad::mad:

My current morning commute is green:)
    My diverted route is red:mad:

2lufhfm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

I'll be forced to turn left and drive all the way to Supervalu, stop at the lights, turn right and continue all the way around to the Hazelhatch road again to continue on my journey. This is craaaaaaaaazy and will add an extra 10 minutes at least to my journey time
    It's only 500m to the Supervalu turn and then another 500m back to the Hazelhatch road, and you need to factor in the time you will save both turning from English row and not being stopped at the bridge.

I think it will reduce your commute time. I do the reverse trip sometimes from the GAA club and it is certainly not anywhere near 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I have been living on the Ardclough road my whole live and will strongly oppose this if they try and implement it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    It's only 500m to the Supervalu turn and then another 500m back to the Hazelhatch road, and you need to factor in the time you will save both turning from English row and not being stopped at the bridge.

I think it will reduce your commute time. I do the reverse trip sometimes from the GAA club and it is certainly not anywhere near 10 minutes.

Only 500m. However you have to contend with everyone else who will be either turning right for Ardclough or for Newcastle.

The problem I see is the lane for turning right at Supervalu is not long enough, and at peak the traffic will be backed up to the bridge anyhow.

In a sense it is a great idea. I would be opposed to it. If you are coming from Ardclough, you have to turn right and drive through a housing estate. Can't see the residence being too happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

My current commute! You'll live...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I can't see the residents of wolstans or simmonstown being happy. Short term, it makes sense but should only be put in place on the basis that a new bridge will be built.
    Kildare county council approved planning applications for lots of development that has taken place in the last 20 years in celbridge which caused this problem to be so bad and collected levies from developers in doing so. It should come as no surprise to them that a new bridge is required.
    Still though, it makes more sense than those stupid traffic lights they tried 15 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Hopefully it will help the flow out of the Town in the morning as IMHO its cars turning up the hatch rd that case a standstill.
    There should also do something with the timeing of the 2 sets of lights at Apple and make the right turn lane longer.

The diversion through simmonstown was never going to be liked but that road was always going to be part of a ring road network.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Actually after watching traffic at the bridge today for a while and thinking about it, without widening the bridge and the main street, the only way to achieve a freeer flowing bridge and overall traffic in celbridge is my making it one way.
    So if you're coming from Dublin, you can only turn left over the bridge towards clane.
    So if your heading towards castletown etc you need to turn right after raphaels and down via tesco.
    Then heading towards dublin the only way to do so would be coming down through the village and turning left onto the bridge

This plan for the hazel hatch and ardclough roads won't alleviate traffic as it stands, turning right into the village causes the traffic to back up to supervalu in rush hour. Likewise waiting for a break in traffic coming from the clane direction will still cause the back up in the village that we currently see everyday.

The problem is two fold, but the first part of it is people turning right to go up the Hatch or Ardclough Rds when heading out of town over the bridge. This causes a backlog on the main st from both directions which then causes people to get blocked up on their way into the town who want to turn right or into the Village Inn Car park. People invariably block the yellow boxes on both sides or sit for a wet week waiting to turn because they can't drive, but there's not much you can't do about that.

The proposed changes def aren't a total solution but I think it'll make a dent, but we'll have to wait and see. Most of this was caused by those stupid traffic lights up at the Castle Village shops diverting people back on to the Dublin Rd to avoid the traffic up there. Allowing the Aldi to be built without a roundabout going in caused that particular mess. As usual most of these problems are the result of continuous bad planning at various stages of the towns development.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

ronaneire wrote: »
    . If you are coming from Ardclough, you have to turn right and drive through a housing estate. Can't see the residence being too happy.

While I agree that the residents won't be happy, you won't actually be driving through an estate (i.e. no houses directly on that road) rather a series of estates are off that road.

There will also be considerable issues in getting back out onto Hazelhatch road without traffic lights

Basically people won't be happy with any inconvenience but I do think they need to try something until a new bridge is built. However, I think they should also incorporate a no right turn into main street if it is to work.

I do think that the changes could be restricted to rush hour rather than 24 hours a day.

I am among the most inconvenienced by the proposals

Actually after watching traffic at the bridge today for a while and thinking about it, without widening the bridge and the main street, the only way to achieve a freeer flowing bridge and overall traffic in celbridge is my making it one way.

I agree and have proposed similar for Dublin Road and Hazelhatch road in previous discussions but like this, many are against any inconvenience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,879 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Riskymove wrote: »
    There will also be considerable issues in getting back out onto Hazelhatch road without traffic lights

With most of the traffic currently coming down the Hazelhatch Road towards there and hence blocking cars coming out diverted, there probably won't be. Still won't be an instant turn, obviously.

L1011 wrote: »
    With most of the traffic currently coming down the Hazelhatch Road towards there and hence blocking cars coming out diverted, there probably won't be. Still won't be an instant turn, obviously.

? wont all the traffic diverted that wanted to go out Hazelhatch road still end up on that stretch?

it can already be very difficult around school hours due to the school at the GAA grounds

People will also be turning right out to Hazelhatch

• Registered Users Posts: 68,879 ✭✭✭✭L1011

? wont all the traffic diverted that wanted to go out Hazelhatch road still end up on that stretch?

it can already be very difficult around school hours due to the school at the GAA grounds

People will also be turning right out to Hazelhatch

Turning left from the Willow/Primrose Gate/Whatever Road on to the Hazelhatch road can currently take an age due to traffic coming down the Hazelhatch road from the village

That traffic won't be there anymore.

L1011 wrote: »
    Turning left from the Willow/Primrose Gate/Whatever Road on to the Hazelhatch road can currently take an age due to traffic coming down the Hazelhatch road from the village

That traffic won't be there anymore.

You are talking about a different junction

I am referring to the road linking Hazelhatch and Ardclough Roads

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

You are talking about a different junction

I am referring to the road linking Hazelhatch and Ardclough Roads

There should be relatively no difference to that junction because any traffic going all the way to the bridge from the ardclough road will now be turning right into simmonstown and then turning left at the bottom of that road onto the hatch road.

Any traffic coming across the road linking the Dublin road and hatch road would of been coming up the hatch road anyway so it's much of a muchness really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

TBH , I think this is the only conclusion they could come up with .

The road linking Hazelhatch/Ardclough roads was built as a through road and I don't believe there are houses actually built onto it ( Ill have to look to be sure ) but it's a bit late now for the residents to suddenly realise it may be used for the purpose it was built.

They need to stop people parking in front of the Spar next to the Village Inn where there are double yellow lines already but more often than not someone is ignoring them, this does not help people turning right coming into the Village.

The should be a second bridge , but where you would build it I am not so sure . Really Celbridge does need a bypass coming from Clane with a new bridge upstream from the Village and join up with the Ardclough Rd.

Davidth88 wrote: »
    The should be a second bridge , but where you would build it I am not so sure . Really Celbridge does need a bypass coming from Clane with a new bridge upstream from the Village and join up with the Ardclough Rd.

Have you seen the various proposals and preferred route for the new bridge?

There is an existing thread

TBH , I think this is the only conclusion they could come up with .

The road linking Hazelhatch/Ardclough roads was built as a through road and I don't believe there are houses actually built onto it ( Ill have to look to be sure ) but it's a bit late now for the residents to suddenly realise it may be used for the purpose it was built.

They need to stop people parking in front of the Spar next to the Village Inn where there are double yellow lines already but more often than not someone is ignoring them, this does not help people turning right coming into the Village.

It definitely wasn't built as a through road, it was built as the main avenue of Simmonstown Park estate and ended as a cul de sac for a good few years until Hazelhatch Park was built and the two main avenues were linked. There aren't any houses built directly on to it though so it would pretty much serve the same purpose as the Aghards Rd does at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

2ndcoming wrote: »
    It definitely wasn't built as a through road, it was built as the main avenue of Simmonstown Park estate and ended as a cul de sac for a good few years until Hazelhatch Park was built and the two main avenues were linked. There aren't any houses built directly on to it though so it would pretty much serve the same purpose as the Aghards Rd does at present.

What I was trying to say is when the two roads were linked , that was the time to object .

TBH it was ' obvious to a blind man ' what was going to happen as soon as that became a through road. I am actually surprised it's taken so long.

Aghards Rd the ramps ( which are a damn pain .... I live up that way ) do a good job if you consider there is a school with 600 odd kids and a playground ( all be it a desolate abused one )

Certainly they could put ramps on that road , I can't see what else they could do.

The double set of lights at Supervalu need to be looked at and make sure they are in sync etc . I don't see many other issues its going to be a bit of a pain for the residents of The Grove coming from Celbridge , may encourage them to walk :-)

2ndcoming wrote: »

Actually im nearly sure it was,i remember looking at plans and it was mentioned on them that it would eventually become a through road when Hazelhatch Park would be built. It was a rare case where the CC actually thought of the future

• Advertisement

What I was trying to say is when the two roads were linked , that was the time to object .

TBH it was ' obvious to a blind man ' what was going to happen as soon as that became a through road. I am actually surprised it's taken so long.

Aghards Rd the ramps ( which are a damn pain .... I live up that way ) do a good job if you consider there is a school with 600 odd kids and a playground ( all be it a desolate abused one )

Certainly they could put ramps on that road , I can't see what else they could do.

The double set of lights at Supervalu need to be looked at and make sure they are in sync etc . I don't see many other issues its going to be a bit of a pain for the residents of The Grove coming from Celbridge , may encourage them to walk :-)

There's already ramps up there, just enough too, they're not as much of a nuisance as the Aghards ones. Hopefully they keep it like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I can't find the link but it was planned as a through road when I saw the plans, the obvious solution is to build a second bridge to relieve the traffic at the present bridge but I wouldn't expect that any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Buffman

The KCC Maps are up showing the details of the proposals.

My opinion is that it's worth a try to see if it helps traffic flow. However, the positions of the barrier posts and signs look a bit tight to me from a HGV and Bus point of view.

Also, the current 'rat run' up by Tony Kings garage and Beaufield Vets will have to be closed or it'll be overrun.

In time the right turn from the bridge onto Main Street will need to be looked at, even something like a rush hour 'bus only' right turn. The 'straight on' from Main Street to English Row (Clane Road) should go completely.

I can't see us getting another bridge any time this decade, so hopefully it will ease traffic a bit. Although, I don't see why they can't trial the changes with some temporary signage and traffic cones before commiting money to permanent road markings, barriers and signs.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Buffman wrote: »
    In time the right turn from the bridge onto Main Street will need to be looked at, even something like a rush hour 'bus only' right turn. The 'straight on' from Main Street to English Row (Clane Road) should go completely.

agreed

As I see it, the morning rush hour of traffic heading to Dublin will be improved but the return in the evening will have the same issues with the backup of traffic from the right turn into main street.

vektarman wrote: »
    I can't find the link but it was planned as a through road when I saw the plans, the obvious solution is to build a second bridge to relieve the traffic at the present bridge but I wouldn't expect that any time soon.

the problem is that the preferred option is not a bridge directly at the end of that road but one nearer the Grove

so you have a series of junctions to navigate in order to get around from Dublin Road to the new bridge rather than a straight through road

Big Facebook petition doing the rounds to block the changes, I'm pretty sure they don't actually mean anything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

seamusk84 wrote: »
    I have been living on the Ardclough road my whole live and will strongly oppose this if they try and implement it.
    they are trying to implement this. Time to get opposing it.

the fundamentals of the idea is good & needed. Like everything else in this country the execution is appalling. the terms of reference for the consultants only cared about alleviating traffic delays at the bridge. No need for consultants to care what happens after they remove the delays at the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

to those saying that the through road from simmonstown to hazelhatch road doesnt go through estates, it does. 3 residential estates are passed through(not beside or around) by this road.

If KCC wanted this to be a ring road then they shouldnt have allowed it to be built through 3 residential estates.

this plan is crazy. take traffic miles out of the way and onto minor roads through residential areas. Which genius thought this was a good idea?

a more sensible version of this plan would make traffic stay left going over the bridge, come over shinkeen road, go right back down primrose hill towards the bridge & back onto the ardclough road at the bridge. its a shorter distance, stays on main roads and doesnt affect residents of hazelhatch park, simmondstown manor or calendars mill.

daheff wrote: »
    a more sensible version of this plan would make traffic stay left going over the bridge, come over shinkeen road, go right back down primrose hill towards the bridge & back onto the ardclough road at the bridge. its a shorter distance, stays on main roads and doesnt affect residents of hazelhatch park, simmondstown manor or calendars mill.

Nothing to stop people doing that. Except it would cause traffic to build up comeing down the hatch road.

The road from the hatch rd to dublin rd via tony kings would need to be closed off aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Frank O'Rourke just wants a trial on the Hazelhatch road
    The current section 38 proposal for the junction at the Liffey Bridge in Celbridge is unacceptable. This will affect residents in Simmonstown Manor, Hazelhatch Park and Callenders Mill.

Advertisement