Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronation Street [News, Spoilers and Discussion] contd

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

The character of Sofffffeh has been stale and pointless for years now, even with the Maddie stuff. A few thousand per month for leaning against a shop counter or on a couch making the odd comment in a scene.

LynnGrace wrote: »
    The latter, I would say :D
    They are going out of their way to make her obnoxious. Breaking Deirdre's mug, and bursting in on Emily's departure scenes...all very over the top stuff.

I think he/she may mean Cathy perhaps? IE in reference to Roy leaving. But I'm probably wrong. Hopefully Nessa leaves and takes Barlow and his one expression terrible acting with him. ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Typical of the crap standard of "journalism" these days. Article starts off talking about a clearout of cast members but of the 6 named only 1 is actually leaving permanently with the other 5 taking between 2 and 6 months away to persue other projects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Lazy script writing?

One minute Kevin is telling Sophie not to tell Tyrone about any holiday plans.
    Next minute Sophie comes into the garage and tell all and sundry about a flight to God knows where. Then quick exchange of stares between Kevin and daughter which did not really explain why she blurted it out in the first place.

Why would Tyrone be upset about Kevin taking off anyway? If you were short of money and your colleague said he was taking a week off, would you react as childishly as that?
    Robert ditching Tracey in the pub in front if everybody and everybody geared up to watch. Come on!

Is the plan for Kevin and Sophie to go on holiday together? What daughter of Sophie's age wants to be seen with their parents. How ridiculous.

Nessa being crass re Emily's departure. How could a man with Ken's sensibilities be interested in a woman like that? Incredible.

When all the actors are sitting around a table going through their lines, why can't one of them stand up and say: 'This is f.....g nonsense. I deserve better than this s..t.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

bobbyss wrote: »

When all the actors are sitting around a table going through their lines, why can't one of them stand up and say: 'This is f.....g nonsense. I deserve better than this s..t.'

Who is to say no-one has?

Great article here from back in august. Not sure if it was posted before

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Who is to say no-one has?

Great article here from back in august. Not sure if it was posted before

Intersting article and nothing I would disagree with. It is funny how you never hear of any dissent from within the cast about how bad a programme it is. Most of them seem to be happy to collect their cheques and not be bothered by any tarnish to their reputations. How can William Roach be proud of his work there after how many years? Surely real actors would snigger at that yet be envious of the salary.
    But there are so many bad things about the whole programme. Mary singing a ditty at Emily's farewell for example was so embarrassing it would lead you to ask yourself: what kind of programme is it now? What has it become? Pastiche?
    The acting is so so bad. Carla as per the article, Sally, Gail and of course Dev. There are others. That little s..t Simon and Steve. Eileen. Les Dennis.
    Carla has the looks to have taken her places 'acting' wise but I don't know if I have ever seen Gail or Sally in anything else. Why is that? Because they are not good enough. I may have sen Dev in Bend it like Beckham or some such.
    But very few would cut it in the real world.

Intersting article and nothing I would disagree with. It is funny how you never hear of any dissent from within the cast about how bad a programme it is. Most of them seem to be happy to collect their cheques and not be bothered by any tarnish to their reputations. How can William Roach be proud of his work there after how many years? Surely real actors would snigger at that yet be envious of the salary.
    But there are so many bad things about the whole programme. Mary singing a ditty at Emily's farewell for example was so embarrassing it would lead you to ask yourself: what kind of programme is it now? What has it become? Pastiche?
    The acting is so so bad. Carla as per the article, Sally, Gail and of course Dev. There are others. That little s..t Simon and Steve. Eileen. Les Dennis.
    Carla has the looks to have taken her places 'acting' wise but I don't know if I have ever seen Gail or Sally in anything else. Why is that? Because they are not good enough. I may have sen Dev in Bend it like Beckham or some such.
    But very few would cut it in the real world.

I wouldnt consider William Roache anywhere near a real actor. He is awful! Same mundane monotone tone of voice no matter what emotion his character is trying to convey, likewise facial expression and body language.

he has no credits to his name apart from Coronation Street and he steals a living there being the face of the show since it commenced.

Never had any acting training, got his role through being a good looking guy with obviously mates in Granada.

Similar story with the lady who plays Rita.

To be fair, they are probably obliged contractually to not criticise the show in any way or to bring the show into any disrepute. Im pretty sure if I criticised my employer in public I'd be for the high jump too.

If you remember the actor who played Tommy Duckworth put up a video on youtube of him rapping and it was thought to be offensive to women and he was sacked on the spot.

Also, I don't think the salary is really that great. Anne Kirkbride took the bus to set everyday. If she was on an enviable salary you'd think she'd get a taxi at the very least. According to this article soap stars get paid per episode and depending on their seniority get anywhere between £400 and £2000 an episode, which means some actors get as little as 12,000 a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,272 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Lazy script writing?

One minute Kevin is telling Sophie not to tell Tyrone about any holiday plans.
    Next minute Sophie comes into the garage and tell all and sundry about a flight to God knows where. Then quick exchange of stares between Kevin and daughter which did not really explain why she blurted it out in the first place.

Why would Tyrone be upset about Kevin taking off anyway? If you were short of money and your colleague said he was taking a week off, would you react as childishly as that?
    Robert ditching Tracey in the pub in front if everybody and everybody geared up to watch. Come on!

Is the plan for Kevin and Sophie to go on holiday together? What daughter of Sophie's age wants to be seen with their parents. How ridiculous.

Nessa being crass re Emily's departure. How could a man with Ken's sensibilities be interested in a woman like that? Incredible.

Robert hopping into bed with a woman who is engaged to be married (to his boss no less) struck me as very far fetched too, and he even seemed to initiate the encounter. He looks the type who would politely decline Carla making a drunken pass at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Lazy script writing?

'

I thought Kevin said that Tyrone had asked Kevin to buy him out but he refused saying he didn't have the money. That's why they wanted it kept a secret, so Tyrone wouldn't be annoyed.
    Strazdas wrote: »
    Robert hopping into bed with a woman who is engaged to be married (to his boss no less) struck me as very far fetched too, and he even seemed to initiate the encounter. He looks the type who would politely decline Carla making a drunken pass at him.

Ridiculous story. There was never any flirting or chemistry between them. He just said to her 'fancy taking this upstairs ' and she went with him. She's not like that, especially when she now has a solid partner like Nick.

I also don't get Leanne's bitterness towards her and Nick all of a sudden. She buggered off with Kal so she's hardly innocent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,871 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cathy presumably will go if Roy isn't around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Unless he leaves her to run the cafe, or work in it, maybe? After all, he has already lost Garreh :p

Unless he leaves her to run the cafe, or work in it, maybe? After all, he has already lost Garreh :p

I'm sure Anna and Mary can cope

Lets hopes so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Roy's only leaving for 3 months! Hardly a need to write Cathy out too!

Mary might have to step into Emily's place, babysitting all the invisible children. :D

Doesn't Mary mind Devs kids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

This is what I was thinking too. Unless she goes with him. I can see herself and Roy doing a rail trip across Europe. :)

Shakyfan wrote: »

There is every need to write Cathy out. Nessa even more so.
    Doesn't Mary mind Devs kids?

I would imagine the Cafe's busiest time is from 9 to 3, when the kids are in school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Really wish Corrie was on Sundays

• Advertisement

Why would she stay if she breaks up with Roy, she has no real friends or family on the Street but then again how long did Tina stay

Can anyone remember where Steve has gone? The acting profession is an unreliable one but does have advantages over more traditional jobs. This taking time off business is one of the advantages of their job however.
    Where is he? Threading other boards?

Can anyone remember where Steve has gone? The acting profession is an unreliable one but does have advantages over more traditional jobs. This taking time off business is one of the advantages of their job however.

He's gone to London to visit the queen.

No wait, that's the cat.

He's gone to Spain to visit his brother.

I believe he's got health problems, hence the need to be written out suddenly. It's the second time in recent times. There was a suggestion that he suffers from depression and the storyline of his character suffering also was hard on him.

I believe he's got health problems, hence the need to be written out suddenly. It's the second time in recent times. There was a suggestion that he suffers from depression and the storyline of his character suffering also was hard on him.

I hope he deals with it better than his character was afforded.

I hope he deals with it better than his character was afforded.

His partner had a baby recently. One tabloid alluded to him having depression. According to Craig Charles, he's just taken some paternal leave.

Plus he is a frequent poster on twitter and he always seems up beat. I call BS on the depression story tbh.

I agree, and in my opinion, Corrie needs all the decent, established actors and actresses it can get, and I count Melanie Hill / Cathy, as one of those.

Nessa's character is overdone, to the point of being farcical. I don't know if it is deliberate, maybe, so that viewers will be happy if / when Ken and Audrey get together.

syklops wrote: »
    His partner had a baby recently. One tabloid alluded to him having depression. According to Craig Charles, he's just taken some paternal leave.

Plus he is a frequent poster on twitter and he always seems up beat. I call BS on the depression story tbh.

I hope you are right. He is one of the best characters left in it

I don't find anything interesting about him at all and that goes for many if indeed most of the characters. There was an episode a while back when he was dong some retiling and he was not able to do it yet he used to have a construction company (I think). Incredible stuff really.

None of the characters seem to have any depth to them at all. They are all cardboard cut outs.

• Advertisement

+1. Hope he will be back soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I don't find anything interesting about him at all and that goes for many if indeed most of the characters. There was an episode a while back when he was dong some retiling and he was not able to do it yet he used to have a construction company (I think). Incredible stuff really.

None of the characters seem to have any depth to them at all. They are all cardboard cut outs.

He actually made the point that he had his own building company before when they laughed at him for wanting to do the tiling himself. So yeah, him not being any good at it was strange.

I did find that scene funny though. When the tiles fell down, the look of despair on his face when he asks 'has there been an earthquake or what'. It made me laugh.

I think he's a good comic character and he teamed up well with Lloyd (don't know why they got rid of Lloyd).

monkey9 wrote: »
    He actually made the point that he had his own building company before when they laughed at him for wanting to do the tiling himself. So yeah, him not being any good at it was strange.

I did find that scene funny though. When the tiles fell down, the look of despair on his face when he asks 'has there been an earthquake or what'. It made me laugh.

I think he's a good comic character and he teamed up well with Lloyd (don't know why they got rid of Lloyd).

They didn't get rid of him, he left.

Tonight's episodes were really good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Bit daft going into the back of the pub for the big reveal. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Why did Roy tell Nessa about the letter? He should have told Cathy first, and let her have it out with Nessa as it is a family matter between two siblings.

• Advertisement

Bit daft going into the back of the pub for the big reveal. :rolleyes:

Plus Michelle, Nick and Liz joining, none of their beeswax

Good to see Liz can keep a secret......How silly was all that palaver

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

jimmyw wrote: »
    Why did Roy tell Nessa about the letter? He should have told Cathy first, and let her have it out with Nessa as it is a family matter between two siblings.
    Roy was trying to protect Cathy

When did Anna and Erica become besties and who minds Faye and Gary now Anna out on lash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

When did Anna and Erica become besties and who minds Faye and Gary now Anna out on lash

They just throw characters together when it suits them. Anna would have looked more glam without the stripey scarf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭jaded_pause

I do like Carla, I think she's a troubled soul and I enjoy a lot of her different relationships, previously with Hailey and now with Roy, and Nick, but Lord I just can't muster up a single fcuk to give about Aiden, Kate and Johnny. Not a single one.

I do like Carla, I think she's a troubled soul and I enjoy a lot of her different relationships, previously with Hailey and now with Roy, and Nick, but Lord I just can't muster up a single fcuk to give about Aiden, Kate and Johnny. Not a single one.

Same here. Carla is one of my favourite characters.
    As for the rest, I'm just looking, and thinking 'whatever'... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭monicaali

+1

I like her scenes with Roy now and don't mind her with Nick either

Robert was quite threatening with her tonight, a big change in him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

I think the writers have bulldozed them into the storylines without really allowing us to get to know them first. Kate came storming through the bar giving out to the regulars like she practically owned the place. They haven't been on the street a wet week and already they're central characters.

I don't quite get this turn in Robert however. Why did he kind of threaten Carla? What's the big deal with him? All because she won't acknowledge that tryst? I do suspect it is copper fastening another reason why Carla would be thinking of heading off. It is so out of character for him but hey, this is Coronation Street I suppose and anything goes.

The Peacock Bench. It is like the naughty step or the confession box. Clearly if you have an intensely personal issue eg unexpected pregnancy, that ypu might want to remain private, what do you do? You go and sit on the bench in the middle of the street so that any and everybody can sit down with you and say 'What's matter chuck'?
    Sarah was there recently and Rev Billy passed by.
    Sarah was there again recently and yer man passed by and detected a pregnancy (Todd or his brother/can't remember which)
    Roy, was there and Carla passed by.

I don't quite get this turn in Robert however. Why did he kind of threaten Carla? What's the big deal with him? All because she won't acknowledge that tryst? I do suspect it is copper fastening another reason why Carla would be thinking of heading off. It is so out of character for him but hey, this is Coronation Street I suppose and anything goes.

The Peacock Bench. It is like the naughty step or the confession box. Clearly if you have an intensely personal issue eg unexpected pregnancy, that ypu might want to remain private, what do you do? You go and sit on the bench in the middle of the street so that any and everybody can sit down with you and say 'What's matter chuck'?
    Sarah was there again recently and yer man passed by and detected a pregnancy (Todd or his brother/can't remember which)

In fairness wherever Sarah has been the last two months Billy has been creeping around her.

Beautifully summed up. If you want to broadcast to the entire street, that you have a problem, go sit on that bench. Or, for the viewers out there who are a bit on the slow side, and you don't want to put in a caption that says "Sarah Lou feels blue" with a sign pointing at Sarah Lou, simply have her sit on the bench, and the slower ones will cotton on eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Carla is one of my favorite characters and like you I think she's had some sweet relationships. Aiden I thought wasn't to bad the first week but then they bought in his family and one tragedy after another with the highlightergate and then shoegate.

Does Michelle remember she has a son and a nephew? She never mentions either let alone visit them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

Sure when was the last time Ken mentioned Daniel or Sean mentioned Dylan?? Parents on Corrie are only interested in their children when they become violent/drug addicts/run away/are kidnapped/have a life a threatening illness etc etc...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement