Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy a house while abroad.

Options
  • 20-10-2015 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I work in China and want to buy a house in Ireland over the next year or so. I do not plan on living in Ireland anytime soon so would have to pay 40% deposit + fees.

Has anyone done this? Is the 40% enough or would BOI want more?

Regards,
    Ari.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

Where did you get the 40% deposit figure from?
    You can secure a higher amount than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

Hi, if it helps, I live abroad and was told we would need 50% of the cost price as banks view it as an investment property as you aren't a resident. According to Ulsterbank in September of this year

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Easyliving

I've done this and your information is incorrect. Facts as follows:

1. You will have to buy it as a buy to let and rent it. With aib you will need a 30% deposit. Ptsb is 40% and bank of Ireland don't do it.
    2. You need to be in secure employment and prove this.
    3. All general mortgage application stuff applies plus you will need to get a credit report done in the country you are in, tax compliance cert, and show your contract etc. you may need to do this a few times depending on how long your search and application takes as they need to be up to date.
    4. 3.5 times your salary applies.

I applied in an aib branch at home when I was back for a visit this helped. I also kept all my banking in Ireland so that also helped. Life insurance is also only available from New Ireland, we used a good broker for all of this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

Easyliving wrote: »
    I've done this and your information is incorrect. Facts as follows:

1. You will have to buy it as a buy to let and rent it. With aib you will need a 30% deposit. Ptsb is 40% and bank of Ireland don't do it.
    2. You need to be in secure employment and prove this.
    3. All general mortgage application stuff applies plus you will need to get a credit report done in the country you are in, tax compliance cert, and show your contract etc. you may need to do this a few times depending on how long your search and application takes as they need to be up to date.
    4. 3.5 times your salary applies.

I applied in an aib branch at home when I was back for a visit this helped. I also kept all my banking in Ireland so that also helped. Life insurance is also only available from New Ireland, we used a good broker for all of this stuff.

Easy living, do you know if this applies even if you don't bank with them? Is there a min spend on a property?
    We do put our savings in our bank here so I'm hoping that would help

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭aridion

Thanks. That clears up a few things. I bank with BOI, so may be a problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement