Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon apps for iMac

• 20-10-2015 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭

I have no idea where to post this, so mods help please if wrong?

I am (or was) the proud possessor of a Kindle Fire, connected by WIFI to my iMac running Snow Leopard. For a while now the Kindle tells me it is connected to the Mac, but it won't download anything from it. Not a problem -- I had the Amazon Mac reader app, so I could read what I wanted on the Mac. Then I saw a Kindle book I would like to read, so I bought it.

However, when I tried to open it I received an Amazon message to say that I needed to update to the latest version of the app. OK, did that, only to discover that it wouldn't run. Checking with the Apple store revealed that the update would only work on the latest Apple OS. Right so. Turn on a Windows PC (W7) and find a Kindle app for that. No deal! It will only run on Windows 10.

I then discovered that a number of the e-books I had previously bought from Amazon would no longer open on the Mac -- it tried to download them again and failed each time. So it seems that if I want to continuing using my Kindle or the reader app I must upgrade my Mac to Yosemite and my PCs to W10. Fine, except that much of the software I use for my business will then not work in either. I ain't about to do that just to satisfy Amazon's crappy service. I sent an email to Amazon support asking what the **** was going on -- no response.

I have bought a lot of stuff including e-books from Amazon over the years, but unless this matter is resolved I will not be doing so again. I have told them that I will cancel all of my Amazon accounts which will, I'm sure, have them quaking in their boots (!!).

My point here though, is that I suspect a cartel here: Amazon's app won't work unless the computers it is used on are upgraded to the latest Apple or MS operating systems, and half the e-books already paid for won't open in the earlier versions of the Amazon app. But then what about all of the other software that people have on their computers? Has all of that to be upgraded too, and if so at what cost? How much of it can't be upgraded?

Oh well, I have a solution: the Kindle Fire will go in the bin, and all Amazon accounts will be cancelled. Amazon will not care a tinker's cuss either way, but I will have achieved a tiny bit of personal satisfaction! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

ART6 wrote: »
    I have no idea where to post this, so mods help please if wrong?

I am (or was) the proud possessor of a Kindle Fire, connected by WIFI to my iMac running Snow Leopard. For a while now the Kindle tells me it is connected to the Mac, but it won't download anything from it. Not a problem -- I had the Amazon Mac reader app, so I could read what I wanted on the Mac. Then I saw a Kindle book I would like to read, so I bought it.

However, when I tried to open it I received an Amazon message to say that I needed to update to the latest version of the app. OK, did that, only to discover that it wouldn't run. Checking with the Apple store revealed that the update would only work on the latest Apple OS. Right so. Turn on a Windows PC (W7) and find a Kindle app for that. No deal! It will only run on Windows 10.

I then discovered that a number of the e-books I had previously bought from Amazon would no longer open on the Mac -- it tried to download them again and failed each time. So it seems that if I want to continuing using my Kindle or the reader app I must upgrade my Mac to Yosemite and my PCs to W10. Fine, except that much of the software I use for my business will then not work in either. I ain't about to do that just to satisfy Amazon's crappy service. I sent an email to Amazon support asking what the **** was going on -- no response.

I have bought a lot of stuff including e-books from Amazon over the years, but unless this matter is resolved I will not be doing so again. I have told them that I will cancel all of my Amazon accounts which will, I'm sure, have them quaking in their boots (!!).

My point here though, is that I suspect a cartel here: Amazon's app won't work unless the computers it is used on are upgraded to the latest Apple or MS operating systems, and half the e-books already paid for won't open in the earlier versions of the Amazon app. But then what about all of the other software that people have on their computers? Has all of that to be upgraded too, and if so at what cost? How much of it can't be upgraded?

Oh well, I have a solution: the Kindle Fire will go in the bin, and all Amazon accounts will be cancelled. Amazon will not care a tinker's cuss either way, but I will have achieved a tiny bit of personal satisfaction! :D

Wrong forum. You might also want to take a pair of scissors to that essay.

Advertisement