Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Behaviourist recommendations?

• 20-10-2015 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hello,

We have a rescue dog with severe separation anxiety. We have tried many of usual tips and tricks, none of which have worked, so we're looking for a behaviourist to help us work on the issue.

I looked back through previous posts, and saw Citizen Canine Ireland (can't post link!) recommended, but she's based over 100km away and (understandably) charges travel expenses.

Could any of you possibly recommend a behaviourist, preferably one that you have used yourself to help overcome separation anxiety? We're based in Dublin 12.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Has Emmaline told you you'll be charged travel expenses!? I feel a bit worried now because I just handed her €100 when she was out with us on Friday and didn't think of travel expenses (!) o_O (I'm in Glasnevin btw)

I've had two sessions with her - one about 2 years ago and one on friday just gone for different issues. She's just brilliant and I wouldn't recommend anyone else. The dogs love her too which was convenient because one of the issues I wanted to work on was my boy not being able to contain his excitement when we meet his favourites lol!! We learnt loads and it's already making a huge difference. My dogs are well trained by getting a different perspective and ideas on things is really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Shotgun Sister

tk123 wrote: »
    Has Emmaline told you you'll be charged travel expenses!?

On her webpage she says "Additional charge for travel expenses if your location is more than 20km from my base in Shillelagh, Co Wicklow."

Perhaps it's discretionary though!

Great to hear that that you found her really beneficial. If I can't find anyone more local, I'll give her a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our first session last year was for sep. anxiety and we managed to build up to an hour then one dog was injured or the other was in heat or <insert excuse here> :o and the training kind of stopped. But it really really helped. For example before if there was any change in routine my dog would freak out even with somebody in the house - run back in to get my phone/lunch etc in the mornings and he'd be hysterical. Now he's glad to see me leave in the morning and doesn't care if I come back in 20 times lol!! :D I'd had advise from other trainers but it was all a bit generic and crappy... some of his issues are down to bad advise from trainers/behaviourists who would consider themselves experts in their field so be very very careful who you choose. Certainly not anyone who isn't on apdt.ie anyways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I've not dealt with Emmaline myself but she gets rave reviews on here!

I'd recommend my own but I've absolutely no idea if she'd go as far as Dublin as she's based in Cavan/Monaghan.

Advertisement