Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running gear

• 20-10-2015 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Looking to buy winter outdoor running gear, top and jacket. (I assume I need both?)
    I don't want to spend a fortune and am only at the 10k mark. I'm not a serious runner but don't want to freeze my ass off the either when I do get out. Where would you recommend to shop and any brand in particular that's good value? Short on time to go looking/shopping so thanks for any advice. Based in south Dublin/North Wicklow. TIA.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Personally I use a lot of the T-Shirts/Long Sleeve T-shirts that given out at races.

I wear shorts in pretty much every weather and then go with a running jacket over the T-shirt/long sleeve T-shirt which does me for pretty much everything.

I bought some base layers last year but found them a bit too warm once I was a few mins into the run.

I also bought a pair of gloves from Lidl that were nice and light and found them useful.

Some sort of Beanie is useful too (Pennies is good for this sort of thing) but usually the hat and gloves are taken off after about 10 mins.

The running jacket I use was bought last year for around €50 from wiggle.com. DHB brand, but I'd also keep an eye on Lidl and Aldi when they do their running sales.

No need to spend too much money but nice to have the right gear to keep going through the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Looking to buy winter outdoor running gear, top and jacket. (I assume I need both?)
    I don't want to spend a fortune and am only at the 10k mark. I'm not a serious runner but don't want to freeze my ass off the either when I do get out. Where would you recommend to shop and any brand in particular that's good value? Short on time to go looking/shopping so thanks for any advice. Based in south Dublin/North Wicklow. TIA.

Worth popping into Dublin Marathon expo at the weekend and checking out the stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I occasionally run with a jacket if it's particularly cold, gloves and hat if needed too.
    Have found a gilet much better than a jacket as you don't tend to overheat as much.

If you're doing a track session though, jacket for warm-up/cool-down and t-shirt for the hard work. If cold, long sleeve, hat and gloves to start, usually discarded after a rep or two.

I used to wear leggings in the really cold weather we had a few years ago, but to be honest, they rarely see the light of day.*

*I might say something different in January though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Finglas Flier

Wind proof jacket...hat and gloves is usually good enough unless you are a really cold creature... :-)
    My hands can get very cold quickly but the gloves work....and as I get in to the run I usually take the hat off or else the gloves to help regulate my temp......

But I wouldn't go nuts on designer labels...it's a cheap sport, perhaps bar for your shoes...

Advertisement