Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat has no interest in food.

• 20-10-2015 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi,

We have a 4 or 5 year old cat that adopted us last year after hanging around our garden. She's was inoculated, neutered and given long lasting antibiotics by the local animal aid last year and there hasn't been any problems with her since. She sleeps in her bed in the living room at night, and is happy hanging around the front and back garden during the day. She also has no interest in hunting, and regularly watches on bemused as magpies pick through the remains of her food.

She usually eats a pouch of wet food 3x a day as well as fresh water in her bowl. However, since Sunday she's had no interest in her food at all. I bought her favorite food today (felix sensations) to see if she had got fed up of her regular food but she just sniffed it and walked away from the bowl. She's also acting slightly nervous today, and isn't hovering around for attention like usual.

I don't think she's been fighting, and I can't see any cuts or wounds on her either. Just wondering if its normal for a cat to go off food for a few days every once in a while? or is it a sign of something serious.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

The only time any of my cats went off their food they were in pain.

Aside from that, is there a chance she is being fed elsewhere?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Not eating for 24h = Directly to vet because anything longer may cause permanent liver damage (chances are she's got an abscess or something in her mouth stopping her from eating)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Have you noticed is shes is peeing or licking her bottom a lot... It could be a urinary infection our fella went like that for a while...

Other than that, off the top of my head do you mix the food with the water? If so maybe there is something in the water.. The water in my parents house can be off sometimes and the cat will only drink the water (honest to god) after it has been boiled.

That or maybe a male cat has entered the territory and she is scared of him, hence the quietness would not explain the not eating bit....

Might be just the food too maybe she has just gone off it, could try her with some cooked rice and chicken and see if that does any better, bit of TLC too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Will she allow you to check her gob for a bad tooth or as mentioned above, an abscess? Or can you check her temp? Any time Kovu went off his food he had a chill or infection and it started with a high temp.
    He is a devil for sweet potatoes mashed up with mayonnaise, odd things like that usually tempt him if he's off in himself. Tuna in oil? The fishy smell may tempt your little one and even if she only licks the oil it would be a start.

If she's still not eaten by now though I'd bring her to a vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Kovu wrote: »
    Will she allow you to check her gob for a bad tooth or as mentioned above, an abscess? Or can you check her temp? Any time Kovu went off his food he had a chill or infection and it started with a high temp.
    He is a devil for sweet potatoes mashed up with mayonnaise, odd things like that usually tempt him if he's off in himself. Tuna in oil? The fishy smell may tempt your little one and even if she only licks the oil it would be a start.

If she's still not eaten by now though I'd bring her to a vet.

Really?!?!?
    How on earth did you first come up with this?!? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

aonb wrote: »
    Really?!?!?
    How on earth did you first come up with this?!? :D

Haha, he was a demon as a kitten. If I left anything on the counter he would eat it (Brown bread, bananas, defrosting guinea fowl, my work lunch :pac:)
    This happened once when I forgot to put the treats away.
    Anyway! One evening I was eating some sweet potato I'd baked and mushed up with butter and mayonnaise, I had a very physical job at the time so I didn't give a toss about calories. I'd forgotten my drink so left it on the table and went into the kitchen to get it, came back and buggerarse himself was halfway through gobbling up my dinner!!! Although he hadn't touched the meat, he still won't eat cooked meat like chicken or steak. So mayonnaise is now a treat when he does something we ask him or if we want him back in the house. Just shake the jar at him and he comes running :pac: He likes coleslaw too.....and just last night he was eating cheese flavoured baked pitta bread broken into pieces.
    I've even caught him licking at the cattle mineral buckets out the field!!!:D:eek:

Advertisement