Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC rf comms flt

Options
  • 20-10-2015 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    Saw this on the alarm panel and committed to swapping out all of the batteries in the sensors. 2 infra red p.i.r's one door sensor, 3 in echo alarm and 2 out of each of the key fobs.
    The only ones I have not changed are the 6 in the SABB alarm (as this sounded whilst I was fiddling with the other various sensors).
    I turned off mains power, removed and tested the contained battery, re-assembled and all seemed fine (fault light went off).
    When I armed the system the light came back on and 'rf comms flt' along with 'rf low batt' was displayed.
    Could the external box's batteries need replacing...even though it sounded during power up?
    All but one of the batteries I replaced from the sensors were tested at between 2.89 and 3v. One tested at 1.49v so I presume that to be faulty.
    The system is an elderly relatives and she was not given a code to allow access to now set the date or time....has anyone got any clues please....it's doing my head in, I thought it would be simple to change over batterys?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Were they not even given a code to access the log?
    This would give you information on what device is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jonesjarvie

KoolKid wrote: »
    Were they not even given a code to access the log?
    This would give you information on what device is the problem.

Hi,

She says not...she was told that there were no codes to remember as she has two fobs and as the control panel is in the back room, under the stairs, she doesn't enter a code as she enters the house.
    I tried 0..1 2 3 4...nothing, 0..1 1 1 1, nothing, I just can't get the panel to give any sort o fcontrol/information apart from described earlier.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It never ceases to amaze me the laziness or incompetence of some guy's installing systems like this. How is she supposed to disarm the system if the fob is lost or damaged.
    I would contact the installer and ask him for the engineer code so you can set this system up correctly. Something he did not seem to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jonesjarvie

KoolKid wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me the laziness or incompetence of some guy's installing systems like this. How is she supposed to disarm the system if the fob is lost or damaged.
    I would contact the installer and ask him for the engineer code so you can set this system up correctly. Something he did not seem to do.

I know, she ordinarily gets it serviced every 12 months at a cost of £120 and recently called them out (£90 callout) where they swapped out a low fob battery.
    I can understand her belief that it is more secure for her, but I'm not sure she understands that they are using her as a cash-cow (in my opinion).
    Am I right to assume she should have a code then... in case she need to list faults or override the fobs? (She generally rings them up if anything goes wrong).
    It gets me downright angry at the way firms use older peoples' trust against them.
    If I ring with her present, all I am asking for is an engineers' code? This will give me access to listed faults and allow me to set the date/time...and to service (i.e. change batteries when needed?)
    I would like to look after the system from now on (to get rid of yearly service charges) is it just a case of setting the clock and a new pass-code?
    Thanks in advance, I thought it didn't seem right having no access to the faults pages.

A few things here.....
    You should have a Manager Code . This would give you the access you are entitled to. ie Change codes, access the log,delete fobs if they are lots or stolen.Not to mention being able to operate the system should your fob fail or be lost..
    Picture this.This lady is out and her alarm is set. She arrives home & realises she has left her fob somewhere or it has got damaged ...
    She walks in the door & the alarm timer starts, what is she to do now.
    The prices you are quoting are at the higher end of the market. I would be expecting much better service if it were me.
    Get the codes off them and/or shop around for better service & pricing would be my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi,

She says not...she was told that there were no codes to remember as she has two fobs and as the control panel is in the back room, under the stairs, she doesn't enter a code as she enters the house.
    I tried 0..1 2 3 4...nothing, 0..1 1 1 1, nothing, I just can't get the panel to give any sort o fcontrol/information apart from described earlier.

The fobs are each given a code. If she has two then a second code has being set up on the alarm. If the default code you have mentioned does not work then this has being changed also. When you get a low battery it displayed this on the screen, then one armed it goes into the logs. I would always recommend getting the engineer code off any system installed.

Advertisement