Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cork for January

Options
  • 20-10-2015 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi lads,

I'm moving to Cork from Donegal in January and was wondering what was the best place to be to be close to the city and in Fermoy where I am working?

I have a car and don't mind travelling 30 or 40 minutes to work at all!

All advice appreciated but I would bet ye get these threads all the time!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The only places between Cork city and Fermoy are the villages of Watergrasshill and Rathcormac and they would be fairly quiet dead end places.Would you not live in one of the city suburbs?.It would be around a 30-40 min drive to Fermoy.(~37km)

Douglas would be a busy suburb and next to the main road taking you direct to Fermoy.See house shares here for an idea.

http://www.daft.ie/cork/rooms-to-share/douglas/?s%5Broom_type%5D=either&s%5Badvanced%5D=1&s%5Bgender%5D=on&searchSource=sharing

Google maps is your friend if you want to suss out any other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'd stay north of the river for access to Fermoy. The tunnel occasionally closes and you can get stuck in jams south side.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭beargrylls93

The only places between Cork city and Fermoy are the villages of Watergrasshill and Rathcormac and they would be fairly quiet dead end places.Would you not live in one of the city suburbs?.It would be around a 30-40 min drive to Fermoy.(~37km)

Google maps is your friend if you want to suss out any other places.

I would absolutely live in the city, I hope to live there because I requested a city, and want to live near enough to it.
    Problem is, I don't know anything about what's good, what's bad, what's possible.

I will have a look at your link there.

Is douglas a nice spot?
    I've a good few friends in UCC no idea where they live though, should probably go ask them too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Is douglas a nice spot?

I'm renting in Douglas (and have a car) and think its amazing, has 2 shopping centres, a cinema, lots of restaurants, pubs and a petrol station etc. Also only a 10 minute bus ride into the city centre (or around 30/40 mins if you want to go by foot).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Try St Luke's, very close to the city centre and on the right side of the city for getting to Fermoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Is douglas a nice spot?
    I've a good few friends in UCC no idea where they live though, should probably go ask them too!

Yeah it's nice but awkward as you'll have to travel through the tunnel to get to Fermoy. Also the toll charges will have to be factored in. They can be avoided though by going the old main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I'd say Glanmire/Brooklodge would be a good shout. You can be in Fermoy in 20 mins on the Motorway, or if you want to avoid the toll, the old road is easily accessible. There is also a regular bus route to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

+1 for Glanmire. If you are heading toards Fermoy in the morning, you already have a 10/15 minute headstart and you are the right side of the tunnel.
    It is a nice little town, most things are available so you wont have to be heading into town for everything. Some lovely countryside lanes for walking and cycling too. Its normally around a tenner in a taxi after a night out. Just avoid the Sallybrook area to the north as there is no Broadband in most of it. I dont live in Glanmire myself as i work on the other side of the tunnel but i would if traffic wasn't such as issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Have friends who live in Glanmire. Taxis home on nights out aren't that bad, all things considered, regular busses, and the spin to work wouldn't be that bad.

As much as I like Douglas, the traffic, and location with regards to work, would make me slightly apprehensive if I was you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Journey from Cork is fairly painless, the tunnel is normally only closed overnight but there are always advanced warnings. Toll at Fermoy could add up €1.90 each way unless you use the back road.

Somewhere on the bus route may be an idea, the 245 runs every hour from the bus station in Cork to Fermoy (about 50 mins) - last bus from Cork out is 22:30

Cork (Bus Station - Parnell Place)
    Lwr Glanmire Rd (Opp Kent Station)
    Glanmire (Opp O’Cearnaigh Public Hse)
    Hazelwood (Opp Community School)
    Sallybrook (Brook Inn)
    Sarsfields Court (St Stephen's Hospital)
    Watergrasshill (Church)
    Rathcormac (Church - Main St)
    Fermoy (Boardwalk Shoes McCurtain St)
    Fermoy (Barrack Hill Opp Ald

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Diziet wrote: »
    Try St Luke's, very close to the city centre and on the right side of the city for getting to Fermoy.

I lived in St. Lukes for a year till September and loved it there. Nice collection of shops at the Cross, great views, and close to the city centre. It's got a good mix of buildings, with a range of rental prices. A lot of fancy houses and a fair few pokey rough ones as well. I'm from Fermoy and the drive there is pretty handy - about 30/35 minutes if you drop down to Silver Springs and go up the motorway. There's also a handy back road via Ballyvolane that brings you to Watergrasshill.

Subpopulus wrote: »
    I lived in St. Lukes for a year till September and loved it there. Nice collection of shops at the Cross, great views, and close to the city centre. It's got a good mix of buildings, with a range of rental prices. A lot of fancy houses and a fair few pokey rough ones as well. I'm from Fermoy and the drive there is pretty handy - about 30/35 minutes if you drop down to Silver Springs and go up the motorway. There's also a handy back road via Ballyvolane that brings you to Watergrasshill.

Thanks very much to yourself and all the rest for the advice, I'll hopefully get sorted close to the end of November :)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Thanks very much to yourself and all the rest for the advice, I'll hopefully get sorted close to the end of November :)

Yeah Id recommend Glanmire as well. Won't be too far from Fermoy but still close to the city with a bus every 30 mins. Having said that while you will have everything you need on a daily basis it certaily doesn't have as much shops or things to do as say Douglas. (But there is plenty of nice walks :pac:) I'd personally avoid Brooklodge Square area though.

Advertisement