Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payscale query

Options
  • 20-10-2015 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a pay scale query.

I had done a day subbing in January 2008 in a primary school and I was wondering would this get me on the old payscale.

At the time I was just doing teaching practice and only did a day. I wasn't registered with the teaching council, nor was I fully qualified, but I would have been pretty certain I got onto the books to get paid.

I'm actually trained as a secondary school teacher and I think the next time I subbed somewhere was in a secondary school in September 2012 for two weeks.

Any thoughts much are much appreciated,
    Conorlly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

Conorlly wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a pay scale query.

I had done a day subbing in January 2008 in a primary school and I was wondering would this get me on the old payscale.

At the time I was just doing teaching practice and only did a day. I wasn't registered with the teaching council, nor was I fully qualified, but I would have been pretty certain I got onto the books to get paid.

I'm actually trained as a secondary school teacher and I think the next time I subbed somewhere was in a secondary school in September 2012 for two weeks.

Any thoughts much are much appreciated,
    Conorlly

It would depend on how you were paid. If the department paid you, you're on the old scale. But if the school paid you directly then you're on the new scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Petejmk would that apply if someone worked for a vec? Know someone at the moment who the department are trying to put on the old scale yet they did a number of hours at that time. They are saying they are unqualified yet technically pre 2013 a teacher in the vec did not require a dip to be deemed qualified. Anyone in this experience get a good result?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

fall wrote: »
    Petejmk would that apply if someone worked for a vec? Know someone at the moment who the department are trying to put on the old scale yet they did a number of hours at that time. They are saying they are unqualified yet technically pre 2013 a teacher in the vec did not require a dip to be deemed qualified. Anyone in this experience get a good result?

No idea about the vec tbh. I did two days of subbing in a primary school around 2008/2009 when unqualified. Received a pay slip from the dept. and was allocated an employee number at the time. Qualified in 2011 as a second level teacher and was put on the old scale.

This might be of help http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/pay/salary-scales/

thanks for that reply. Very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Conorlly

I must get onto the school in question.

I'm fairly sure I was given an employee number at the time.

Thanks for the info. Would mean a lot to get it.

I suppose I have a further query? If I got put on the old payscale would I get a top up for a Masters I got in 2011?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

I am in the same boat as Fal. I did a number of hours in a VEC in 2009. Just wondering is there anybody else in a similar position and did they get put on the old pay scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SlinkyL

I had a payroll number from 2002 but qualified in 2013, I am definitely on the new scale despite having a payroll number as my hours previously were unqualified. I've checked this out payroll and ASTI and they both said I should be on the new scale.. very interesting to hear that others are on the old scale..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Kissy Lips wrote: »
    I am in the same boat as Fal. I did a number of hours in a VEC in 2009. Just wondering is there anybody else in a similar position and did they get put on the old pay scale?

If there is a break of longer than 6 months between paid employment ( except on approved leave, mat leave, career break etc) you go onto the new pay scale....or the pay scale in operation when the break finished if you managed to get a new job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

There are teachers in my school who have returned since 2012 having subbed in previous years without a teaching qualification and who are on the old scale. They were paid the qualified rate while subbing (VEC) so I don't see how they could now try to say they were unqualified - they weren't. I don't think unqualified service counts though - so work in the wrong sector or in a voluntary secondary without a teaching qualification wouldn't count I think.
    solerina wrote: »
    If there is a break of longer than 6 months between paid employment ( except on approved leave, mat leave, career break etc) you go onto the new pay scale....or the pay scale in operation when the break finished if you managed to get a new job.

That's not the information I was given nor what I see in operation in my school. We were told that a break in service would affect pension only, not pay scale.

There are teachers in my school who have returned since 2012 having subbed in previous years without a teaching qualification and who are on the old scale. They were paid the qualified rate while subbing (VEC) so I don't see how they could now try to say they were unqualified - they weren't. I don't think unqualified service counts though - so work in the wrong sector or in a voluntary secondary without a teaching qualification wouldn't count I think.

That's not the information I was given nor what I see in operation in my school. We were told that a break in service would affect pension only, not pay scale.
    One of my friends rang the dept and the union last month about this issue and they told her that if you go unpaid (even one paid day would do) for more than 6 months and then re-enter teaching you go onto the new scale. She had been in Australia for the last 3 years so was trying to discover could she be on the old pay scale...she was told no by both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

solerina wrote: »
    One of my friends rang the dept and the union last month about this issue and they told her that if you go unpaid (even one paid day would do) for more than 6 months and then re-enter teaching you go onto the new scale. She had been in Australia for the last 3 years so was trying to discover could she be on the old pay scale...she was told no by both.

That's strange. I'm thinking of taking leave next year and was told by ETB and TUI that the 26 week break only affects pension not pay. That's all I saw in the circulars when I searched too.

I would be asking for that in writing Solerina if I was your friend. That doesn't sound correct to me. Anyone else know anyone who was put on to the old scale?

fall wrote: »
    I would be asking for that in writing Solerina if I was your friend. That doesn't sound correct to me. Anyone else know anyone who was put on to the old scale?

I will tell her but she wasn't on approved leave was what she was told..she just left her last job to go travelling, she wanted to move closer to home when she returned. I rang her to clarify and she says both Union on dept told her she is now on the new scale due to the longer than 6 months break.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 clearview99

petejmk wrote: »
    It would depend on how you were paid. If the department paid you, you're on the old scale. But if the school paid you directly then you're on the new scale.

I subbed in both 2008 and 2010 and both periods were paid for by the dept. (I have the payslips to prove) - I qualified as a post primary teacher in 2014 (B.Ed.) and when I rang the department of education last week to see whether I could get recognition for the subbing in 08 and 10 and whether I could use it as a means to get back on the pre-2011 scale all I got was a flat NO - anyone else in a similar situation get any joy?

Advertisement