Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DLRCOCO - 30Kph speed limits in housing estates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I really hope that they don't put signs up. 30 is to fast for an estate and many people see signs a as a target. SO it could speed up soem cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Pointless exercise if you ask me. What are they going to do, set up speed check points on all estates to enforce it? I've seen people go down some estate roads at over 60kph without a care in the world, a new limit will mean nothing to them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I've seen people go down some estate roads at over 60kph without a care in the world, a new limit will mean nothing to them at all.
    If there is some idiot living in the estate frequently doing it then I guess they will be reported to the gardai by residents, who would now feel more confident reporting them as they could say to the gardai "I am 100% certain he was over the limit".

Just because enforcing or detecting would be a problem does not mean limits/bans have no effect. The smoking ban had huge compliance when doubters questioned how it would be policed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

ted1 wrote: »
    I really hope that they don't put signs up. 30 is to fast for an estate and many people see signs a as a target. SO it could speed up soem cars.

The whole exercise is pointless and a waste of resources as it will not be enforced.

Those that drive too fast over the current urban limit, will still drive too fast in a 30 zone.

Frankly I dont think 30kph is too fast, it is 18.75mph in old money, and in my relatively powerful car i would have to spend more time with my eyes off the road and on the speedo to try and keep to it, than watching for stray kids, which is what id rather be doing.

We have an internationally excellent rate of deaths and injuries for comparable streets, this just smacks of more nanny state and misdirected resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

this all stems from the unfortunate death of 6 year old Jake Brennan on the street outside his Kilkenny home last year.

while I agree that one death in this manner is too many, the councils are taking the easy way out.

it would be much better to properly educate drivers, children and their parents about the risks rather than throwing up a load of signs and hoping the problem goes away.

• Advertisement

it would be much better to properly educate drivers, children and their parents about the risks rather than throwing up a load of signs and hoping the problem goes away.

I dont think anyone can argue that this isnt already done.

I have nothing but deepest sympathy for the family of the boy that died, and any road incident victim, but the fact this one incident was so rare, so remarkable, proves there is not a common problem. There would still be accidents if the whole country was 30kph, there will always be distractions, frustrations, poor conditions,vehicle failures etc. This initiative is a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Larbre34 wrote: »

Those that drive too fast over the current urban limit, will still drive too fast in a 30 zone.

Frankly I dont think 30kph is too fast, it is 18.75mph in old money, and in my relatively powerful car i would have to spend more time with my eyes off the road and on the speedo to try and keep to it, than watching for stray kids, which is what id rather be doing.

In fairness it's not to hard to go slower than 30 regardless of what car you drive. In housing estates yo uget kids stepping out from behind parked cars. 30kmh is to fast for estates.

Theres no need to look at the speedo. you need to travel at a safe speed for your surroundings, a speedo wont tell you what speed that is

ted1 wrote: »

Theres no need to look at the speedo. you need to travel at a safe speed for your surroundings, a speedo wont tell you what speed that is

Precisely, on some stretches that will 25kph, on others 40 or 45. Leave the limit alone and let 95% of people do what they do ordinarily and use good judgement and common sense, without the threat of penalty points and the Garda till ringing around every corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Precisely, on some stretches that will 25kph, on others 40 or 45. Leave the limit alone and let 95% of people do what they do ordinarily and use good judgement and common sense, without the threat of penalty points and the Garda till ringing around every corner.

It's the 5% that are causing the problems and the introduction of this speed limit will soften their cough, if the Garda actually enforce it that is.

It's the 5% that are causing the problems and the introduction of this speed limit will soften their cough, if the Garda actually enforce it that is.

I disagree, there will always be that percentage who are selfish and dangerous, the posted limit will make no odds. The Guards will end up spot checking places occasionally and catching soccer-mom for doing 40 on the access road to her house. 25mph in old money. Wheres the fairness or the safety improvement in that.....

• Advertisement

I disagree, there will always be that percentage who are selfish and dangerous, the posted limit will make no odds. The Guards will end up spot checking places occasionally and catching soccer-mom for doing 40 on the access road to her house. 25mph in old money. Wheres the fairness or the safety improvement in that.....

Additional 10kph could mean the difference between a broken leg and much more serious injury or death. That's enough for me.

Additional 10kph could mean the difference between a broken leg and much more serious injury or death. That's enough for me.

If you expect even a slight change in the speed people actually do just because of some new signs and an unenforced limit, i suggest you are naive.

If you expect even a slight change in the speed people actually do just because of some new signs and an unenforced limit, i suggest you are naive.

I suggest you learn to read a bit more carefully before throwing comments like that about.

I suggest you learn to read a bit more carefully before throwing comments like that about.

I can read. Your naivete is more to do with your previous comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

a pitlane speed limiter type thing is whats needed

http://www.proshift.com/proshift_dual_speed_pit_lane_speed_limiter_tm

The device works with all types of ignition ECU (electronic or old points system) so is suitable for use on older or historic vehicles.

Available for all Race/Road Cars and Bike Engined Cars, this unique stand alone system provides integrated seamless ignition or fuel injection control and is compatible with both H pattern and sequential gearboxes

Advertisement