Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer assembled; blank screen, need help!?

Options
  • 20-10-2015 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hello again, I desperately need help. Here's the list of parts:

i5-4460
    MSI R9 390
    Be Quiet 630w PSU
    ASrock h97m
    Crucial Ballistix 16GB
    Seagate 2TB HDD
    Crucial 250GB SSD

Basically I have the computer connected to my monitor via DVI cable(I've tried to connecting it to the GPU and the Motherboard, all the power pins and cables are properly secured etc., but when I turn it on although the fans run and the GPU lights up, the monitor stays blank and then the PC restarts after a minute or two.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Hello again, I desperately need help. Here's the list of parts:

i5-4460
    MSI R9 390
    Be Quiet 630w PSU
    ASrock h97m
    Crucial Ballistix 16GB
    Seagate 2TB HDD
    Crucial 250GB SSD

Basically I have the computer connected to my monitor via DVI cable(I've tried to connecting it to the GPU and the Motherboard, all the power pins and cables are properly secured etc., but when I turn it on although the fans run and the GPU lights up, the monitor stays blank and then the PC restarts after a minute or two.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Have you tried removing the GPU and using the motherboard port?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jameschaplin zero

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Have you tried removing the GPU and using the motherboard port?

I disconnected the GPU and tried but I never actually removed it from the PCIE Slot.

Am I supposed to use the CD that came with the motherboard?

I disconnected the GPU and tried but I never actually removed it from the PCIE Slot.

Am I supposed to use the CD that came with the motherboard?

I would remove it completely. If you dont get something on the display follow the instructions above - it will narrow down where the issue is

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

..the monitor stays blank and then the PC restarts after a minute or two.

Hope that isnt the CPU hitting TJMax...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Siskods9

Some questions:

1) Do you get an POST beeps? If so your system-board manufacturer will have a glossary for what they mean on their web site.

2) What 'OSI' said...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Siskods9

Additionally, try using only the CPU's integrated GPU instead of a discrete graphics card while you are trouble shooting.

So take out that MSI R9 390

Hmmm a 650w PSU seems to be recommended for the R9 390

Have a look here (apologies as I cannot post valid links yet)

www DOT realhardtechx DOT com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

OP here, I got it working by as you all suggested reassembling it outside the case, I have no idea what was wrong though except perhaps the RAM had come loose. Or actually I never tried with the GPU removed from the PCIe slot, but I would have had to take it out and reassemble it anyways since the Air 240 case has a problem with GPU height and larger ones need to attached to motherboard before either are inserted into the case. In other words the 390 barely fits, especially because of the wires. It's all working now though, just took me a couple of days to setup the OS and everything, here's a picture:

eL9AWih.jpg

I really hope you didnt spend all that money on an R9 390 just to play morrowind on a 17" monitor! :pac:

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I really hope you didnt spend all that money on an R9 390 just to play morrowind on a 17" monitor! :pac:

Morrowind's a great game. :p

The MSI 390's a Godsend though, it's the perfect card for everything I need. Lot's of VRAM for modding TES/GTA, zero-RPM fans for quietness and it's just the right size for the AIR 240 case. I know Nvidia has goodwill but I'm amazed the 390 doesn't have more market-share compared to the 970.

Morrowind's a great game. :p

The MSI 390's a Godsend though, it's the perfect card for everything I need. Lot's of VRAM for modding TES/GTA, zero-RPM fans for quietness and it's just the right size for the AIR 240 case. I know Nvidia has goodwill but I'm amazed the 390 doesn't have more market-share compared to the 970.
    It is indeed, ploughed a few hundred hours into it back in the day and still never finished the main quest/story! Great game though

• Advertisement
Advertisement