Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Price increase, opportunity to ditch contract?

Options
  • 20-10-2015 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

In Bargain alerts over the course of the years every so often a thread emerges where a company are introducing a price increase, and this is touted as a method of getting out of a contract with the service.

UPC, Eircom and Meteor are all companies that spring to mind in the last year that had big threads on bargain alerts where people used this sot get out of contracts, or secure a better package.

My Sky contract runs until April, and I've no intention of renewing. I got a notice in the door this evening advising that my package will be getting a price from December. I imagine all customers will be receiving this.

Is the price increase in December an opportunity to cancel this contract?I'm pretty confident it is, as changing the terms of a fixed contract requires consent from both parties, so I'm confident from previous instances like this, but also the plathora of information on threads here previously, that I would be able to ditch my contract in December.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Appears there is already a thread on the TV forum with people confirming they have already cancelled, leaving their contracts early.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057502736&page=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Cancelling a sky subscription is an endurance test in itself. They will try to tempt you to stay with offers....so you need to be stubborn!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Did you join sky last April? Like get a 12 month introductory offer of 12 months at €x per month that runs til next April? If that's the case I don't think they can raise the price. Thought i saw a thread in the talk to..forum & a sky rep said they're honoring those deals.

I think I'll be looking for something else myself, I could have swore my price rose in the last 8-12 months.

Menas wrote: »
    Cancelling a sky subscription is an endurance test in itself. They will try to tempt you to stay with offers....so you need to be stubborn!

In a past life I worked in a supplier call centre. I'm well versed ;)

Did you join sky last April? Like get a 12 month introductory offer of 12 months at €x per month that runs til next April? If that's the case I don't think they can raise the price. Thought i saw a thread in the talk to..forum & a sky rep said they're honoring those deals.

I think I'll be looking for something else myself, I could have swore my price rose in the last 8-12 months.

I got a special rate through a friends and family offer. So it was a fixed rate for the year that is being increased before my contract expires.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

OP there's a 10% clause in Sky's T&Cs. Would have been read to you when you signed up. If not get the call listened back too (although you'll probably not remember if they did).
    Menas wrote: »

This one always makes me chuckle.

"I'm calling to cancel! It's disgraceful you've put the price up by 50 cent a month!"

"Sorry to hear that, how about 33% or €10 off a month for 9 months, no new contract?"

"No I want to cancel now!!! This is disgraceful, I'm shocked!"

High horses are an expensive hobby.

10% clause is irrelevant to be honest.

That is like me saying "oh and by the way, at a point during our contract I might start paying you less, but only by 10%, so its grand". There was a large influx of people who successfully cancelled after receiving their notifications.

Either or, in the end they just removed the increase on my account. Cheeky enough, was put on hold and when the lady came back started stating how there was a mistake and my account was never due an increase. Had a chuckle about it and fair enough no grounds to exit so on I go.

The price increase is totally irrelevant. My sky Box sits in a spare room the last 60 days since I moved to alternative methods to viewing TV shows and sports. I wittled my sky sub down to the basic when as the dispersion between them and BT for football increased, and their loss of champions league makes the package utterly useless to me now.

Advertisement