Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society 2016

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Nenagh
    Portumna
    Birr

All great courses in the midlands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Some of the best courses I played at Boards outings and outside in last few years - some are cheap enough too.

Portarlington
    Portumna (think was a little too far for most in the society)
    Tullamore
    Clonmel (hard walk - hidden gem)
    Gowran Park
    Carlow
    Headfort New
    Cork G.C - (too expensive)
    Druids Glen (too expensive)
    Luttrellstown (god new Dublin outing)

For a change and a Links - they are all a little too far maybe - but

Laytown - maybe not so bad as up M1.
    Arklow same idea - but again - 1 hour south from M50.

There are a few more in Wexford and Wicklow - but too far from main routes - Ratsallagh maybe if back to best.

Out there would be Concra - Greenore - but again geography a main consideration in the BGS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭benny79

Agree on Ratsallagh great course! Also The Curragh maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Macker1

Wicklow Golfclub during the summer sun would be great.
    Headfort New after missing out this year
    Concra Wood

Throw in one or two Marquee courses with Captains day being one of them.

Remember there are some quality courses with great value out there just needing a visit from our society. Its nice to revisit certain courses but its great to visit new ones that tick the boxes that we expect. Maybe a few hidden gems that wiser people than me could suggest that don't necessarily have a a big rep or over inflated price due to clinging to former glories.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭recycled

A course that could be over looked Shannon and of course Ballyneety GC (Members club status in recent years).

Dooks, Waterville, BallyB .... food for thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Break80

I enjoyed all the courses i played this year but the travelling was a bit much. Anywhere within 2 hours of the REAL CAPITAL gets my vote.😆😆😆

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Headfort New or Old
    Mountrath
    Castlecomer
    Athy
    Royal Tara
    Lee Valley - Capts possibly
    Thurles

Oh and my favourite this year was New Forrest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Oh and my favourite this year was New Forrest

Raging I missed that one

Can't believe nobody has played the Trump card yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

Macker1 wrote: »
    Wicklow Golfclub during the summer sun would be great.
    Headfort New after missing out this year
    Concra Wood

Throw in one or two Marquee courses with Captains day being one of them.

Remember there are some quality courses with great value out there just needing a visit from our society. Its nice to revisit certain courses but its great to visit new ones that tick the boxes that we expect. Maybe a few hidden gems that wiser people than me could suggest that don't necessarily have a a big rep or over inflated price due to clinging to former glories.

I played Wicklow in the summer sun this year. The greens were like lightning and the views are fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Macker1

ballyk wrote: »
    I played Wicklow in the summer sun this year. The greens were like lightning and the views are fantastic.

Get it on the list buddy.................:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

whereever you pick ballyk will be fine

Just dont price us out of it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Headfort New or Old
    Mountrath
    Castlecomer
    Athy
    Royal Tara
    Lee Valley - Capts possibly
    Thurles

Lee Valley, really? It's been years since I was down there but I remember being so underwhelmed by the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

I'd throw macreddin on the list, but played it last month and it really wasn't up to scratch. Shame, as the design is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭athlone99

Naas might be worth a return. Played it in March and they were changing 3 or 4 of the greens, lengthening some of the holes and updating the bunkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

athlone99 wrote: »
    Naas might be worth a return. Played it in March and they were changing 3 or 4 of the greens, lengthening some of the holes and updating the bunkers!

they have bunkers? take that one off the list then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Lee Valley, really? It's been years since I was down there but I remember being so underwhelmed by the place.

Haven't played it but heard good things

Rikand wrote: »
    whereever you pick ballyk will be fine

Just dont price us out of it ;)

I'll try not to. Do people have a limit that they think is reasonable for an average price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

ballyk wrote: »
    I'll try not to. Do people have a limit that they think is reasonable for an average price?

Don't mention the war!

I'm easy but personally I'm happy to pay for decent courses, very happy with this years courses

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tigerwood1

I think we should try and get the average outing cost down for 2017. Maybe select two at most high end courses.

Of the ones we played before which i reckon are worth a revisit
    1. Portarlington dont think anybody had a bad word to say about it.
    2. Gowran central and very enjoyable track.
    3. Portumna
    4. Dundrum
    5. Bunclody very nice but maybe rathsallagh for a change.
    6. Carlow (might be pricey)

Would agree with playing some new courses
    1. Tulfarris is a cracking course (in the best nick i have ever seen it)
    2. Clonmel never played it but recommended by fixit and kevin markham.
    3. Wicklow looks lovely and would be nice to play a different link.
    4. Faithlegg
    5. Abbeyleix central.
    6. Headford new.
    7. Nenagh

Top end courses
    1.O meara course carton.
    2.Druids glen
    3.Killarney
    4.Tralee

• Advertisement

Wicklow is not a links Tiger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

As tiger said getting the average cost down would be good, have you looked at golf plus food deals as most people stay on for food afterwards anyhow. For example played Seapoint in a society (30) recently and the cost to the society was €50 for green fees plus a steak dinner afterwards.

All course along the m4/m6 are accessible to most also which is good. Once you go to far off the motorway network the travel time really starts to add up.

Tee times from 11-12 allow for travel without needing to be up a silly of clock and you can still get home at a reasonable hour too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

So guys, my year is officially over! It was nice to finish on a high with the Ryder Jug yesterday. Well done to the team on what was a comprehensive victory in the end.

A big thank you to everyone for putting in the effort to get to this years events, I know with the travel it's a big commitment. Also thanks to those who helped on the days where I needed a dig out.

I am delighted to usher in our new captain, BallyK. I know he will do a stellar job.

We have been talking about doing one final Turkey Shoot at the end of November, maybe in Rathcore, I will post if it's going ahead.

Thanks again

J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭bobster453

Callan is always in good nick and a tester..plus great grub..and nice people like me are members :)
    Clonmel is not worth the hike unless you are a mountain goat..and no food worth talking about
    Mountrath is some course,played Pierce Purcell there this year and the course was brilliant
    Castlecomer has the greatest range of golf holes I ever seen on one course
    Abbeyleix is a good test
    Ballykisteen is pristine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

i can also 2nd mountrath - its a lovely golf course. a little gem really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭benny79

I'd second Castlecomer, Its a hidden gem and green fees are usually cheap enough..

Thanks for all the suggestions lads. I've been in touch with My Golf Society. Once I have a provisional list of events and dates we will get the 2017 thread posted up.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭quinney123

Hi Lads,

Im really interested in the golf society for 2017 but i have never had a GUI and probably wont have one by the time the society comes around. I can play so dont worry i wont take 10 to get it off the tee but is this OK or do i need a GUI to play in the society or can you just start me off at say 20 as an idea?

Let me know

Thanks
    Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭quinney123

Hi Lads,

Im really interested in the golf society for 2017 but i have never had a GUI and probably wont have one by the time the society comes around. I can play so dont worry i wont take 10 to get it off the tee but is this OK or do i need a GUI to play in the society or can you just start me off at say 20 as an idea?

Let me know

Thanks
    Adam

• Advertisement

quinney123 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Let me know

Thanks
    Adam

No need for a GUI at all. As you can play already ;) we'll give you a starting handicap of 5 :D

PM me with your name, number and email and I'll set you up on Teamer

Advertisement