Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

dwd wrote: »
    Hey guys unfortunately I'm not going to be able to defend my title from last year :( I just got confirmed that I have to travel to the US for work for 2 weeks in mid September. So you can scratch me from the list.

shame. :( can you give me a shout at some stage to arrange getting the trophy from you please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭paulos53

Factoring in the taxi it was still cheaper than the other available options.
    I was struggling to find any hotel better than €75-80 per person for room only in the city and some of them were still not within walking distance.

Anyway it won't cost me anything to cancel so no problems. Do you know where Charlie has booked?

paulos53 wrote: »
    Factoring in the taxi it was still cheaper than the other available options.
    I was struggling to find any hotel better than €75-80 per person for room only in the city and some of them were still not within walking distance.

Anyway it won't cost me anything to cancel so no problems. Do you know where Charlie has booked?

yea it's a bloody expensive city for hotels isn't it!

the room I have booked at the Radisson is something like 268 so that's basically 90 per head plus parking is a fiver if you get a spot :eek:

same as yourself, it won't cost me to cancel, but I might just treat myself if I get 2 willing volunteers to share the cost!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

Seve OB wrote: »
    shame. :( can you give me a shout at some stage to arrange getting the trophy from you please

I gave it to J at Castlemartyr as I had got word back then that I might have to travel in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭a post punk

I've provisionally booked a triple room on eyre square aswell, it's a hostel but just a triple room for 140, they had apartments aswell for 300 sleeping 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

yea it's a bloody expensive city for hotels isn't it!

the room I have booked at the Radisson is something like 268 so that's basically 90 per head plus parking is a fiver if you get a spot :eek:

same as yourself, it won't cost me to cancel, but I might just treat myself if I get 2 willing volunteers to share the cost!

I'd be happy enough to share that cost seve if you're short a body

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I've provisionally booked a triple room on eyre square aswell, it's a hostel but just a triple room for 140, they had apartments aswell for 300 sleeping 5

That sounds good lads .

The 5 bed
    The 3 bed
    And hotel as the base to start the fun ?

Seems we are getting there .

A hostel :D will be the laugh . I'd be up for anything .

Golfers in a hostel how the middle class have fallen/ don't exist -:D

Will be a laugh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I've the travel lodge provisionally booked for 20, come on lads, its Galway. Like all above, free cancellation before the 15th. Its about 10 mins walk from Eyre Square.

We have so many rooms booked between us that if we all cancel on the 15th they will be available at rock-bottom prices on the 16th :D

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I've the travel lodge provisionally booked for 20, come on lads, its Galway. Like all above, free cancellation before the 15th. Its about 10 mins walk from Eyre Square.
    What's the cost on the rooms Charlie?

• Advertisement

What's the cost on the rooms Charlie?

€153 per room.

€153 per room.

Good job Charlie. I reckon this is probably the best bet to be honest. I don't know how comfortable I'd be with leaving the golf gear in a hostel

Unless there are any objections I will cancel my booking in the morning.
    Charlie's booking has room for all of us plus no need for taxis

Are we going for the travelodge so lads?im playing another society captains prize in castlemartyr Saturday lads ......sorry for cheating on ye

I honestly don't mind where we stay!!

Jaysus lads someone make a call and be done with it.

1) Charlie are they mainly twin rooms
    2) are they refundable if cancelled -20 looks too high at present

If so, go - with that I'd say ?

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Brendan141 is staying over aswell

Jaysus lads someone make a call and be done with it.

1) Charlie are they mainly twin rooms
    2) are they refundable if cancelled -20 looks too high at present

If so, go - with that I'd say ?

All twin rooms, I love ya but not that much!!!:P:D:D:D:D

Can be cancelled without charge before the 15th

Good stuff.

Seems best option to keep open more people coming down.

Good work.
    I'd say go for it . Then we make final call on numbers about the 10th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

I'm in as well lads :)

• Advertisement

I'd say go with Charlie's deal too. Keeps everyone together & handy enough location.

Maybe one of the lads can throw up a teamer overnight invite so its easier to track numbers/number of rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭recycled

I'm in too

I honestly don't mind where we stay!!
    Put me down for the travelodge Charlie , I'll cancel the other booking

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TLOA72

Hi lads.
    Just a couple of tips for ye with staying in the travel lodge and going out in Galway.
    It's about a 10/15 walk from eyre square on a straight road so staggering would take about 40 mins.
    Taxis should cost no more than 10 euro for four lads from eyre square but can be hard to get at 2/3 am.
    There are plenty if good pubs in Galway with great food.
    Pubs on the way to try are an pucan( start point), o connells (stout drinkers) freeneys kings head, buskers, front door and the quays.
    That should be more than enough for ye.

Just a little tip for heading home.
    Please don't travel alone back to hotel.
    Galway is a safe place but travel in groups of two or more.

The course is in super condition with the head green keeper just back from looking after the greens on the Olympic course in Rio.
    There is a driving range (5 min walk to first tee) and short game area on site too.

I hope to pop on to see some familiar faces on the day but won't be playing ( young family has stopped all golf).
    Tloa (scrubber)

Late call I know but I only got confirmation today, of a Duplex off Eyre Square, Eyre street.
    Its only available for Saturday night, Friday night is booked

The premises can accommodate 5 people . Two bedrooms with twin beds and one room with a double bed.

Towels and bed linen , sheets etc.. are not provided, you will have to provide your own. (including batman gear and what ever your having yourself!!!!)pacman.gifbiggrin.pngeek.pngtongue.png

Usual facilities ie ,. kitchen, showers etc...

One (1) parking space available and POS has booked that. They maybe more in the vicinity, but I'm not too sure.

The cost is €25 per person.

pm or give me a call if it suits. My apologies again for the late call as I know a lot of the lads charlieIRL, Seve ... had been very busy trying to sort our accommodation.

recycled wrote: »
    Late call I know but I only got confirmation today, of a Duplex off Eyre Square, Eyre street.
    Its only available for Saturday night, Friday night is booked

The premises can accommodate 5 people . Two bedrooms with twin beds and one room with a double bed.

Towels and bed linen , sheets etc.. are not provided, you will have to provide your own. (including batman gear and what ever your having yourself!!!!)pacman.gifbiggrin.pngeek.pngtongue.png

Usual facilities ie ,. kitchen, showers etc...

One (1) parking space available and POS has booked that. They maybe more in the vicinity, but I'm not too sure.

The cost is €25 per person.

pm or give me a call if it suits. My apologies again for the late call as I know a lot of the lads charlieIRL, Seve ... had been very busy trying to sort our accommodation.

have you booked this?

have you booked this?

Yes - I did not want to loose the booking.

Yes - I did not want to loose the booking.

good man, great price. have you many staying? I'd be happy to join yis for that price!

Only POS so far. Grand job, we have room for 2 more

• Advertisement

POS gets the parking.... I get the Double Bed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

I'd be up for that if there's still room?

your in - 1 remaiming

charlieIRL

Can you adjust my handicap. My gui handicap has moved from 18 to 16.4 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

hey lads,
    long-time stalker 1st-time talker
    playing Galway today, windy but dry atm

Let us know what its like to play.

• Advertisement

Played it today. Greens were class. Rough is fine but bunkers weren't great. Lots of footprints left from yesterday. If it's windy when ye play expect winning score to be 38 off society tees or 35/36 off white members.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Not sure about that score! Anyone who can break 30 when the wind is up around there will be in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

TLOA72 wrote: »
    Played it today. Greens were class. Rough is fine but bunkers weren't great. Lots of footprints left from yesterday. If it's windy when ye play expect winning score to be 38 off society tees or 35/36 off white members.

Challenge accepted!

TLOA72 wrote: »

Would you not get yourself sorted and come out for the game yourself.

One Boards outing in your town :)

No travelling is a rare choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

What is our tee time gents ?

• Advertisement

Would you not get yourself sorted and come out for the game yourself.

One Boards outing in your town :)

No travelling is a rare choice.
    Will try fdp. But it won't know until couple of days before. Wouldn't want to take a spot of someone who wants it more. Anything needed before the day feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Have we an update on GOTY points so we know what we need to get into jug team? I probably need the win at this stage lol

Lads, ye are in for a treat!
    This is a fantastic course
    Friday stayed dry but the wind was strong, if playing into the wind you can add a shot to the hole, in our 4 ball on the par 3’s 9+11, 2 took hybrid & 2 took driver, only one reached the green both times!
    The greens are in great order, running fair & true
    We played society off the whites, with a mix of handicaps, some real good golfers coming back with early to mid twenties, these are lads who would shoot mid 30’s every other day, i think 33 gets a prize

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Rikand wrote: »
    What is our tee time gents ?

It's showing a start time of 11am on teamer

Lads, ye are in for a treat!
    This is a fantastic course
    Friday stayed dry but the wind was strong, if playing into the wind you can add a shot to the hole, in our 4 ball on the par 3’s 9+11, 2 took hybrid & 2 took driver, only one reached the green both times!
    The greens are in great order, running fair & true
    We played society off the whites, with a mix of handicaps, some real good golfers coming back with early to mid twenties, these are lads who would shoot mid 30’s every other day, i think 33 gets a prize

Think you have Galway golf club in salt hill here and not Galway bay in oranmore

Soz lads, i was in Salthill, i haven't played Oranmore

haven't played in about 10 days. can't even get to the range been so busy. missus goin away for a very long weekend coming up... not sure I'll get to swing a club before Galway :(

haven't played in about 10 days. can't even get to the range been so busy. missus goin away for a very long weekend coming up... not sure I'll get to swing a club before Galway :(

I haven't swung a club in weeks either!!! Enniscrone Saturday should be fun!!

I haven't swung a club in weeks either!!! Enniscrone Saturday should be fun!!

Ah sure you're a bleedin cripple anyway :D

Ah sure you're a bleedin cripple anyway :D

Bigtime!! Think i might have screwed up my other knee now as well!!

One of the lads at work wants to order me a pirate costume and a parrot and go on the last at halloween!!!:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement