Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society 2016

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

No probs.

I've cancelled 5 of the rooms so booked for 10 people now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Re: long drive and nearest the pin, I think at some point there was a change to where a regular winner in position's 1, 2, or 3 can't also win the long drive or the nearest the pin. The prize goes to the next best. Bust it's obviously not know until the end who's come in the top three places so this means that often the correct person will not get the NP or LD prize.

Say there's 6 groups.
    - Group 1 come along and one of the players gets on the green 30feet away. They mark their 30 feet on the board.
    - Group 2 come along and one of the players stiches the pin. 3 feet away. (This same player finishes 3rd overall later)
    - The following groups play through and range everywhere from the water to 5 feet away from the pin with their shots. No one marks their distance because they're not inside 3 feet.
    - Everyone's in the bar afterward having a great time & the winners are called out. Nearest the pin gets a prize with their 30 feet. Suddenly an argument breaks out because x person was much closer than that, punches are thrown, the guards get involved.

Would it better to change it to a winner CAN also take the LD and or NearPin prize (my pref) or if there is a winner with a LD/NP prize then a picky out decides who wins or the win is carried over to the next round, or prize is decided by breakdance contest for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Re: long drive and nearest the pin, I think at some point there was a change to where a regular winner in position's 1, 2, or 3 can't also win the long drive or the nearest the pin. The prize goes to the next best. Bust it's obviously not know until the end who's come in the top three places so this means that often the correct person will not get the NP or LD prize.

Say there's 6 groups.
    - Group 1 come along and one of the players gets on the green 30feet away. They mark their 30 feet on the board.
    - Group 2 come along and one of the players stiches the pin. 3 feet away. (This same player finishes 3rd overall later)
    - The following groups play through and range everywhere from the water to 5 feet away from the pin with their shots. No one marks their distance because they're not inside 3 feet.
    - Everyone's in the bar afterward having a great time & the winners are called out. Nearest the pin gets a prize with their 30 feet. Suddenly an argument breaks out because x person was much closer than that, punches are thrown, the guards get involved.

Would it better to change it to a winner CAN also take the LD and or NearPin prize (my pref) or if there is a winner with a LD/NP prize then a picky out decides who wins or the win is carried over to the next round, or prize is decided by breakdance contest for example?

Had never thought about it that way but you are 100% correct. If we want to keep as is then the nearest the pin and longest drive in every group should mark the sheet - well spotted!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

Say there's 6 groups.

Sounds like someone fancies their breakdancing skills?!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Say there's 6 groups.

Baby brain :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Say there's 6 groups.

:D:D

Good points Mick.

But it is ok - this time will pass.

My son started sleeping about 5 years of age.

Lads how long down there from say airport/ M50

Going about 140 +

Anyone from area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Going about 140 +

Don't you mean 120 -

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

3 hours would be good going Fix.

Going about 140 +

Anyone from area.

Maps said 2.15hrs from Ringsend which I assume is at the speed limit

• Advertisement

Maps said 2.15hrs from Ringsend which I assume is at the speed limit

Im going to give it 3.

Not turn up like an eejit like twice this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Going about 140 +

Anyone from area.

Just over 2 hours maybe 2:15. You have 1 hour 20 to athlone from the airport and then it's another 50 minutes the other side of athlone to galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Congratulations Golfgraffix on a brilliant year and for taking us to some great golf courses. You and your committee ran a brilliant society for the year and you all deserve a ton of praise! The extra costs were worth the standard of courses we got to go to visit :)

Congratulations Doublecross on your Golfer of the year win. I think you had 4 second places. That's unreal consistency and you were a deserved winner on the whole year.

Cant wait to get out for the jug in a months time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tigerwood1

So my game plan worked to take the pressure off(joking). Golf is a funny old game, this time last year i went down to fota in great form expecting a good showing but ended up hacking around, a year on headed down to galway with no form and would have being happy to finish with 20 plus points but ended up playing great.
    Anyway i started out on the front 9 with a few lucky runs of the ball on the 3rd and 4th helped me to grow in confident, by the time i got to the index 1 i hit two great shots and had a chance at a bridie only to come off with a bogie. Break80 was cruising at this stage and looked likely to finish 40 points plus so i was trying to finish above 30pts. unfortunately for break he scratched a couple of holes and i managed to finish strongly with 3 pars missing a 3 footer birdie on the last only to pip break80 with a better back 9 on 36pts.
    Thanks to the lads 3putt and break80 and to ben for his encouragment for a very enjoyable round, i have say the course was fab especially the par 3s which where nice lenghts.
    Thanks to john and the committee for all their hard work this year and i am delighted to hear that ballyk will be a new captain next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭paulos53

Society Challenge 2016 at Dooks, October 29th

We had 2 teams play in last years event at The Heritage and it was good fun. We even managed to have one team in the prizes.

The location probably rules out a lot of you but if anybody is interested in playing then let me know.

- Teams of 4 with 2 scores to count on each hole
    - Breakfast Bap with Tea/Coffee before the round
    - Dinner after the round
    - Entry fee is €50 per person

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭doublecross

I'd be on for it again this year. Played scratch cup in Dooks earlier this year, really enjoyed it. I'd probably be able to get extra bodies if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭a post punk

I might be available paulos aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭paulos53

Recycled is also in so that is enough for 1 team so far

• Advertisement

Sorry lads, I'll have to withdraw. Other half is away so I'll be on daddy duty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Feck and damn..... I'd love to play Dooks and thats a cracking deal. My missus is going on a her that weekend so am also on daddy day care duty :(

Sorry lads, I'll have to withdraw. Other half is away so I'll be on daddy duty

Read this post without reading any others and thought you were referring to the jug

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Sorry to hijack this thread folks, but any idea when I can put my name down for next year, or if next years thread will be opened? After the jug is it?

wardides wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread folks, but any idea when I can put my name down for next year, or if next years thread will be opened? After the jug is it?

Drop me a pm with your mobile, email, club, handicap and real name and I will add you on teamer

Seve OB wrote: »
    Drop me a pm with your mobile, email, club, handicap and real name and I will add you on teamer

Sent :)

• Advertisement

You're very welcome to join us next year. The 2017 thread will go up when we have a draft list of outings to publicise. In the meantime anyone is welcome to post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

ballyk wrote: »
    You're very welcome to join us next year. The 2017 thread will go up when we have a draft list of outings to publicise. In the meantime anyone is welcome to post here.

Looking forward to next year already; was well jeal reading-on this year!
    It’s great to get access to different courses, playing my own regularly can get a bit tedious

Looking forward to next year already; was well jeal reading-on this year!
    It’s great to get access to different courses, playing my own regularly can get a bit tedious

don't just read - - join in :D

have you set up on teamer so see you soon

*Sits and eagerly awaits list of courses for next year*

haha, you'll be waiting..... discussions haven't even begun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

I was half expecting it tomorrow GG had it up on the 20-10-2015 @ 18:38 !!!

kieran. wrote: »
    I was half expecting it tomorrow GG had it up on the 20-10-2015 @ 18:38 !!!

Where have you been? Not seen ya in a while

Seve OB wrote: »
    Where have you been? Not seen ya in a while

Hibernating..early times and distance was a killer for me in the later events this year, hope to be back for more next year.

If anyone has any suggestions feel free to post them. The preference would be that they be relatively close to one of the main motorways to allow as many as possible of our geographically spread out membership to attend.

ballyk wrote: »
    If anyone has any suggestions feel free to post them. The preference would be that they be relatively close to one of the main motorways to allow as many as possible of our geographically spread out membership to attend.

List from last year looked quite good in my opinion. Seapoint is always a favourite of mine, but I'd much rather play Portmarnock!

List from last year looked quite good in my opinion. Seapoint is always a favourite of mine, but I'd much rather play Portmarnock!

Wondering what other suggestions we might get?
    A few courses already on the shortlist, would be interesting to see if anyone throws in a few suggestions if there is any match

Bunclody was particularly good this year. Great bang for buck too. It'd be a crime to not return there at some point.

Bunclody was particularly good this year. Great bang for buck too. It'd be a crime to not return there at some point.

Would have loved to have played it this year.

I could live with the 350 mile round trip but couldn't bring myself do it when the tee time was for 10 am !

Cant remember what the ridiculous hour was that myself, Charlie and Shauna got up at...... but it was totally worth it

Would be great to get Headfort New after missing out this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Headfort New or Old
    Mountrath
    Castlecomer
    Athy
    Royal Tara
    Lee Valley - Capts possibly
    Thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Mallow is a hidden gem IMO

Concra Wood is an absolute gem of a course too.

Concra Wood is an absolute gem of a course too.

Great course but probably impractical from a travel perspective :(

Great course but probably impractical from a travel perspective :(

Yeah should have mentioned. About 1hr20 outside of Dublin.

Carton O'Meara is fun
    Tullamore
    Seapoint
    Rosslare

Yeah should have mentioned. About 1hr20 outside of Dublin.

Not an issue for Dubs, more the culchies or jakeens :D

or jakeens :D

Careful, that might be us :(
    Jackeen is a mildly pejorative term for someone from Dublin, Ireland. The Oxford English Dictionary defines it as "A contemptuous designation for a self-assertive worthless fellow.

The term is derived from a nickname for John (i.e. Jack) from the Union Jack (As Dubliners were considered the most English of all the Irish) combined with the Irish diminutive suffix "-een" (meaning little)

How about a long overdue return to athlone ? :)

• Advertisement

I'm guessing ballyk may add a few north Munster courses to the rota given his home course. So I'll go with:
    Castletroy
    Ballykisteen
    Nenagh
    Dromoland
    Portumna
    Birr

Advertisement