Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixed Bean treat

Options
  • 20-10-2015 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭

Hi I do a bit of hill walking and seen an article in a magazine about one of the walkers having a mixed bean (kidney, chickpea, butterbean, barley and lentils etc) that could be eaten hot or cold while out and about. Something like a winter warmer that's tasty and low in carbs etc. Any idea's?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I sometimes make a salad-type dish with couscous and lentils, and add a tin of mixed beans or chickpeas. I throw in halved cherry tomatoes, sliced red onion, roasted veg, spinach - whatever I have handy. I usually stir in some olive oil and a good squeeze of lemon juice as a dressing, and I either eat it cold or heat it up. I throw in cubed feta cheese just before eating it, and sometimes I'll add a dollop of sweet chilli sauce. My daughter likes to add some Franks hot sauce to hers. You can vary this sort of thing yourself - for example make it with some barley or quinoa.

Neven Maguire does a nice lentil salad, and you could add beans etc to it http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2012/1116/3456-lentil-salad-with-sunblush-tomatoes-and-feta/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I bring tomato-y based bean dishes in a thermos hiking sometimes. Like this or this. Basically anything I can make with tinned tomatoes, possibly some spicy sausage or chunks of ham or bacon bits and any beans I have lying around.

(Each of those dishes only has the one type of legume in it but you can absolutely mix it up)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

I bring tomato-y based bean dishes in a thermos hiking sometimes. Like this or this. Basically anything I can make with tinned tomatoes, possibly some spicy sausage or chunks of ham or bacon bits and any beans I have lying around.

(Each of those dishes only has the one type of legume in it but you can absolutely mix it up)

^^^ Thats the job

I started off with split pea and ham soup and found my way to a similar concoction ( does the job, even if its not your actual haute cuisine :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I put tinned butter beans in my soup this week and the texture is terrible:/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

dibkins wrote: »
    I put tinned butter beans in my soup this week and the texture is terrible:/

I'm not mad about butter beans, I find them too big.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Lidl sells tins of excellent mixed beans pretty cheaply. They are Irish, so Im going to guess they are from bachelors factory. My favourite mixed beans is just a vinegar like cider or white wine and a strong oil like walnut or hazelnut. A small bit of salt and pepper also. I literally takes about 20 seconds to make

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭cadesin

I'm partial to a white bean tapenade but you could mix the beans if you prefer.

Chop beans, olives and parsley together then add a squeeze of lemon juice, olive oil, S & P and spread it on toast.

Advertisement