Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need help!! being ripped off by insurance company

• 20-10-2015 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

So i had a tip in june with a 151 van unfortunately. Now i was going to pay for ti myself until he told me he got a quote for 1700 euro. Any 19 year old wouldnt have that much lying around.
    Anyway got a letter today to say the quote had been settled for 3200. I have no idea where this came out of. Am i able to appeal this ? I really need advice because im getting screwed over here.
    Thanks in advance.
    Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

He was doing you a favour with the quote for €1700. Once you couldn't pay he exercised his right and went through your insurance company. How much they settled the claim for is of little relevance to you, except perhaps when looking for a new quote

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rya_bren

the thing is though it was a tiny dent in the panel of the van like and when i went to the same place as he did they quoted me triple what i was quoted elsewhere. even at that thats not what is getting to me its the fact that they have claimed for 1500 more than that is what im wondering about. Like im getting refused quotes because of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

A cyclist hit me,
    I was not moving
    Put a dent in my car
    Damages cost me 800 to repair plus paint work
    No witnesses around
    He was able to claim of me for personal injury
    he got 5k and a brand new bike
    I got a brand new high premium and lost out on 800 quid

I got screwed
    you'll be fine :) try not to hit expensive cars or vans haha btw when an insurance company offers to fix another persons car who you hit, they have to value the repair job at the highest cost, not the lowest. So what he got paid out on is right technically. Either way, if he got paid out 1900 or 3k you're premium would still go up
    hopefully not much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

You've probably hurt his resale value aswell because a garage will be able to tell in future that a panel has been replaced, and they won't care whether it was his fault or not.

Accidents have consequences unfortunately and crashing at 19 means you may have to wait a while to get reasonable insurance...

Advertisement