Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal v Bayern Munich, TV3

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Qualification for the Europa League is still on for Arsenal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

You can tell Souness sits there on a Thursday night wondering what the best team in the world is doing in the Europa league

Brilliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Delighted to see Bayern beaten.

I have to say, and I said this before, Laurent Koscielny is the most under rated defender I've ever seen. He's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Nib wrote: »

I have to say, and I said this before, Laurent Koscielny is the most under rated defender I've ever seen. He's excellent.

He is definitely. He made a few rash challenges out of nowhere that cost us, but he's been superb apart from that. I think it's the whole playing for a team perceived to still be useless at defending that makes him so underrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

You can tell Souness sits there on a Thursday night wondering what the best team in the world is doing in the Europa league

Amazing wit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

He is definitely. He made a few rash challenges out of nowhere that cost us, but he's been superb apart from that. I think it's the whole playing for a team perceived to still be useless at defending that makes him so underrated.
    In his early career at Arsenal he was very rash alright, he's matured hugely in the last two seasons though. He's one of the few defenders I enjoy watching.

Himself and Chris Smalling are the two best centre halves in the EPL right now IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Soups123 wrote: »
    Now are you going to apologise Slick? 😂

For saying he was being ripped a new one? No. Because he was.

He was fantastic 2nd half though. He's going to be phenomenal.

Also, RE: Ozil, people get so fúcking defensive about him. He's brilliant. I love watching him play. Some of his passing and awareness tonight was great. But in the first half he seemed to get caught with the ball needlessly a couple of times. I might have just been harsh though.

Ozil's detractors tend to go overboard on some of his faults, but his supporters sometimes go completely the other way, and you'd swear he was faultless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

SlickRic wrote: »
    For saying he was being ripped a new one? No. Because he was.

He was fantastic 2nd half though. He's going to be phenomenal.

Also, RE: Ozil, people get so fúcking defensive about him. He's brilliant. I love watching him play. Some of his passing and awareness tonight was great. But in the first half he seemed to get caught with the ball needlessly a couple of times. I might have just been harsh though.

Ozil's detractors tend to go overboard on some of his faults, but his supporters sometimes go completely the other way, and you'd swear he was faultless.

Ozil far from faultless tonight. Surprised he stayed on the whole game.

efb wrote: »
    I just came (over all of a sudden!)

Lol - you think you could tone it down now and again :)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Nalz wrote: »
    I just came (over all of a sudden!)

Lol - you think you could tone it down now and again :)?
    Add your reply here.

for whom?

• Advertisement

Add your reply here.

for whom?

OK ok, thought I might ask that's all. Don't want to get into that kinda discussion.

OK ok, thought I might ask that's all. Don't want to get into that kinda discussion.

Oh you just wanted me to nod and agree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Nib wrote: »

Underrated? ever seen?

He's always had a very good reputation.

Oh you just wanted me to nod and agree?

Doesn't anyone when they stress out loud that they feel someone else is overdoing something a tad? I just cringed a bit at the Giroud pic and the double entendres. I retract it all though having thought about it. You're not breaking any rules and it's my little bridge to build. Night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Overdoing what?
    Just a bit of light hearted fun I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

gandalf wrote: »
    Jaysus the bitterness lives long in those old 80's Liverpool players !!

I don't see what souness has to be bitter about looking at his trophy collection.

Those two saves from Neuer, granted the second one went over the line were ridiculous reflexes, still can't get over them.

klose wrote: »
    I don't see what souness has to be bitter about looking at his trophy collection.

Those two saves from Neuer, granted the second one went over the line were ridiculous reflexes, still can't get over them.

Hows his managerial record???

Hows his managerial record???

11 trophies, 7 of those being at rangers. That was before my time and I'm well aware his tenure at Liverpool was disastrous but hey silverware is silverware.

klose wrote: »
    11 trophies, 7 of those being at rangers. That was before my time and I'm well aware his tenure at Liverpool was disastrous but hey silverware is silverware.

7 trophies in Scotland! Stop the presses! Why isn't he knighted???

• Advertisement

7 trophies in Scotland! Stop the presses! Why isn't he knighted???

I answered your question was all. Anyways, I'll drop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

SlickRic wrote: »
    Criticism when it's warranted is fine, I have no problem with that.

But you said, in your own words, that he "isn't interested". He lost the ball once in the first half from what I remembered, and created more than any other Arsenal player on the pitch.

And for a player who isn't "interested", looks like he won the ball more than anybody else from either team. Funny that. Just because he has a permanent look of disapproval on his face doesn't mean he isn't committed to the game.

But you said, in your own words, that he "isn't interested". He lost the ball once in the first half from what I remembered, and created more than any other Arsenal player on the pitch.

He lost the ball a good few times and seemed lethargic tackling\tracking.

He lost the ball a good few times and seemed lethargic tackling\tracking.
    We must have been watching different games, he worked as hard as I've ever seen him. Cazorla was much more culpable in the first half for losing the ball, but he doesn't ever seem to get criticised for it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Those who give out about Ozil should rewatch the Bayern game but only follow Ozil and not the ball. You may have another opinion of him then

We must have been watching different games

Myself, my housemates, my pet dogs and SlickRic were all in a different dimension... different world. Or maybe we were all high as fack! What we saw was Ozil not the best. God that must have been special tae we were drinking!!!

• Advertisement

Myself, my housemates, my pet dogs and SlickRic were all in a different dimension... different world. Or maybe we were all high as fack! What we saw was Ozil not the best. God that must have been special tae we were drinking!!!
    You can get sarky, or you can actually back your point up. I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Corholio wrote: »
    Underrated? ever seen?

He's always had a very good reputation.

I'm sure I remember him getting heavily criticised from loads of media and posters in his first few years at Arsenal. Not that I'm saying that was warranted, just that that's what I remember how his reputation was.

The popular opinion on him has seen a big turnaround imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

You can get sarky, or you can actually back your point up. I have.

All jokes aside I wouldn't call the below (from your post) backing a point up to be fair. I disagree with your vague points and I thought he only did ok to poor at best last night. Keeping it vague too, there ya go :)

"He lost the ball once in the first half from what I remembered, and created more than any other Arsenal player on the pitch.

And for a player who isn't "interested", looks like he won the ball more than anybody else from either team. Funny that. Just because he has a permanent look of disapproval on his face doesn't mean he isn't committed to the game. "

He's no good, that Ozil:

Of course he's good. I don't think anyone is saying any different? Plus quoting his stats from the league is a bit silly if you ask me. Wesley Hoolahan, Mane, Albrighton and Sissoko are up there in terms of assists this season. I think Wes is only one behind Ozil :) which is always good to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Are we allowed say he might not have played that well in a game or is that off limits as well. It's a bit cult like the defence of anything to do with Ozil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I loved his two cross field balls at the end.. First to Giroud, perfect ball, great by Giroud and ends up back to Ozil who pings it over to chamberlain (? I think). I love watching him play. He's so clever on the ball. And telling others where to run etc. More ozils is what I need.

He lost the ball at times last night, but usually when given to him where he could do nothing with it. Ozil wouldn't have passed to Ozil at those times.. :)

All jokes aside I wouldn't call the below (from your post) backing a point up to be fair. I disagree with your vague points and I thought he only did ok to poor at best last night. Keeping it vague too, there ya go :)

"He lost the ball once in the first half from what I remembered, and created more than any other Arsenal player on the pitch.

And for a player who isn't "interested", looks like he won the ball more than anybody else from either team. Funny that. Just because he has a permanent look of disapproval on his face doesn't mean he isn't committed to the game. "

he won the ball more than anybody else

Fair enough, I phrased it like I made it up, but I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

niallo27 wrote: »
    Are we allowed say he might not have played that well in a game or is that off limits as well. It's a bit cult like the defence of anything to do with Ozil.

I think its caused by pundits constantly having a go at him when you think they really should know better.

So much lazy journalism around him because he "looks" disinterested.

Certainly is playing his best football for Arsenal the last month or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

well done arsenal

it's as good as being in berlin last week for the 1-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

ronjo wrote: »
    I think its caused by pundits constantly having a go at him when you think they really should know better.

So much lazy journalism around him because he "looks" disinterested.

Certainly is playing his best football for Arsenal the last month or so.

It's people like Dunphy who just love banging the drum calling him a bluffer and a chancer.

He's added a huge amount if defence to his game and bulked up hugely.

That was the original issue. Now it's changed to 'giving the ball away' etc.

He's a great player and has adapted hugely to the prem.

I think people are always going to have a go though. Out of ignorance more than anything.

Like why are we talking about Ozil after last night? Why's he the issue.

Standout game in some way or just obvious target?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Sanchez gave away the ball twice in very dangerous areas for Bayern and he didn't get any slack for it. Every player loses the ball several times in a match, otherwise we'd have one team dominating the possession 100% of the time. People just notice Ozil giving away the ball more because of people being wary of what the critics think of him. I watch Real Madrid play a lot and Ronaldo gives away the ball so much (I'm a Ronaldo fan), yet doesn't get much criticism at all for it.

Ozil wasn't phenomenal last night, but he definitely played very well. I was reading the newspaper today and it showed the ratings for each player. What a joke! Monreal getting a 6, Bellerin a 5, Per a 6, and plenty other low scores. The whole Arsenal team played as a fantastic team last night.

Advertisement