Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obscure Places You've Visited

Options
  • 20-10-2015 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

What is the most obscure place you've visited or wanted to visit.

For me I suppose it was the Guyanas, in South America, at the top of Brazil. They are composed of French Guyana, Suriname (former Dutch colony), and Guyana, (former British colony).

They the least visited of South American countries.
    As you travel you can be left with the currency of the last country you visited.

So, in Venezuela I was left with a decent amount of Suriname dollars. I was changing some Euros or US Dollars at an illegal but safe money change place.

I asked at the end of the transaction if they'd be interested in changing some Suriname Dollars.

"Suriname", the semi-tough small guy who was acting as a runner asks, "where's that?, in Africa?".

If someone from a country in the region hasn't even heard of the place...
    His lack of education might have been his issue though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

I've been to the DMZ between North & South Korea, i was on a tour so it's not that obscure but it was cool to experience. It does feel proper tense with all the soldiers from each side standing guard and you get the chance to buy random crap like North Korean wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

lc180 wrote: »
    I've been to the DMZ between North & South Korea, i was on a tour so it's not that obscure but it was cool to experience. It does feel proper tense with all the soldiers from each side standing guard and you get the chance to buy random crap like North Korean wine.
    did you take any photos?
    They tell you that you can't but I took one or two sneaky ones, a couple out the window of the bus that was bringing us from place to place and one in the theatre style building where you are on a high point in S Korea and look out in to N Korea.
    Yeah they have some N Korean goods on sale in the gift shop type place, plant roots in liquid and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

imme wrote: »
    did you take any photos?
    They tell you that you can't but I took one or two sneaky ones, a couple out the window of the bus that was bringing us from place to place and one in the theatre style building where you are on a high point in S Korea and look out in to N Korea.
    Yeah they have some N Korean goods on sale in the gift shop type place, plant roots in liquid and the like.

IMG_3426 (Medium).JPG

Here's a picture of the DMZ from the north - the North Koreans are obviously less sensitive than the south about photos! They let us snap away.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kieran--f

Transnistria

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

IMG_3426 (Medium).JPG

Here's a picture of the DMZ from the north - the North Koreans are obviously less sensitive than the south about photos! They let us snap away.
    there's a great photo of Hillary Clinton in one of those blue buildings on the border of North & South Korea with a N Korean soldier looking through the glass at her.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/8153194/North-Korea-bombs-South-Koreas-Yeonpyeong-Island.html?image=10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

kieran--f wrote: »
    Transnistria

Really want to check it out sometime in the future, hopefully get there next summer.

For my part, ended up spending 2 days in Chernobyl this year, was absolutely amazing and would recommend it to any adventurous travellers or those interested in history or the Cold War.

11102993_10155583305840368_2400597881789322229_o.jpg

Advertisement